Do you think it's worse to forcefully hospitalize a non-suicidal person or let a suicidal person go?

I'd definitely say it would be worse to lock up a non-suicidal person. http://www.antipsychiatry.org/suicide.htm

• Hospitalize a non-suicidal person
  • Let a suicidal person go

Most Helpful Guy

• In my opinion they should be allowed to kill themselves. It's their life if they want to end it let them, to many dying on their own terms and the time of their choosing is better than getting sucker-punched by the Grim Reaper. Every county in the country should have a suicide clinic with free deaths given for any reason to anyone no matter how broke they are, not just terminal illness cases that can afford an army of lawyers and doctors in a few select states.

What Girls Said 2

• Letting someone die is much worse especially since that person who dies their life might get much better

But death is still their choice and your depriving the other person of their civil liberties.

For example if someone has tetanus caught in the early stages it is ~95% treatable but 95% fatal if untreated yet they can still refuse treatment. Sure they may live a long life afterward but that's no reason to force treatment on them.

#SuicideIsARight

I'm not talking about that it is a right but let me tell you if it's depression that person will like to be saved in the future. I was really suicidal at one point and I fixed myself and now I can't believe I wanted to end my life. Suicide is a right but i think you should try to help someone if they want to end their lives.

Well, I have no problem with trying to convince people not to kill themselves but locking them up to force them not to is something else entirely.

• If I suspected that someone I love might kill themselves, I'd do whatever necessary to keep them alive, including hospitalization. I love the people in my life and would do anything to protect them, even from themselves. Depression is an illness and it is treatable, and I want them to be alive to see life get better. As Glenn said in TWD, "I'd rather you be pissed at me and alive, than liking me and dead."

Exceptions, of course, if they're in chronic pain or terminally ill or something.

"Protecting from themselves" is a complete oxymoron. Yeah, depression is treatable. But even if a disease is easily treatable but fatal if untreated they can still refuse treatment. It's all about learning to let go. I even met someone who said that if their child wanted to kill themselves they would have to kill them first (stupid I know). But if that did happen I can't help but think it would be poetic justice; you try to deny others the right to chose death, it's only fitting that you'd be denied the right to chose life.

#SuicideIsARight

What Guys Said 4

• Why would someone ever be forced to make this choice?

• I'd say hospitalizing a non-suicidal person is worse.

• Wow, antipsychiatry. org
    Isn't that run by the church of scientology

• Lock them up

Or let them chose. Honestly it's a complete deprivation of their civil liberties for a crime that they didn't commit. I can't think of anything more adverse to the values that the US was founded on.

1st of all "a danger to themselves" is an oxymoron. They're no more a danger to themselves than someone who refuses treatment for a disease that's easily treatable but fatal if untreated.

2nd. If you read the question you would know that they weren't suicidal. But tell me, if someone thought you were suicidal, should they lock you up?

If that's the professional opinion of a psychiatrist, yes.