Giving money to beggars?

In Sweden over the past few years there are now more and more foreign beggars sitting on the street asking for money. I very rarely see anybody give them money and generally people dislike them. In your country how common are beggars and under what circumstances would you give them money?

Most Helpful Guy

• lol beggars make more than minimum wage in most developed countries. they can make up to 1500 EUR a month. fuck these beggars. they are not willing to contribute to the economy, they leech of off the system.

a common misconception is that beggars are all homeless but thats not true. many beggars just have a house like the rest of us. they can afford to beg because of the charity of the working class.

Most Helpful Girl

• Beggars are fairly common in my country. Mainly in cities though. In some cases they are not actually poor, they just panhandle and make it harder for people who are actually going through hard times.

I try not to give my money away. I know that sounds mean. But I would rather give them something tangible. Like a sandwich, some new socks or a coat. Something they could use instead of money which could just be spent on whatever.

I've heard of people keeping bags of stuff in their cars for if they see someone down on their luck. Like a little care package. Some toiletries, candy, maybe some money. Just something to give that person a piece of their dignity back. We all love to be clean and smell nice!

I know it won't solve the problem entirely. But I feel like giving money freely just encourages the scammers out there and doesn't really help solve the problem.

What Guys Said 13

• I come from Switzerland and begging is illegal here. We don't have any Swiss nationals who are beggars or homeless because we take good care of each other. However, in some cities (not in all) there are a couple of begging groups from Romania and Bulgaria trying to make some easy money. If the police catches them, they have to give away all their money and are thrown out of the country.

• British beggars drive Audi's lol. Honestly there are so many professional beggars here these days you simply can't give money. I only give to buskers on the tube - the rare ones that can actually sing.

• After I found out some people around where I live were seriously making 50k a year begging, I never give money.

• I give whenever possible. Yes, they may be taking my money straight to the drug dealers, but maybe that money will help them get to family, or give them the meal they might otherwise not have. Or maybe a blanket to keep warm. Point is, if I can help make their life better, I don't want to miss that opportunity.

• Well. in America you will find beggars or what we call Panhandlers in
    places such as Downtown Pittsburgh Pennsylvania in the States and
    some are in Philadelphia Pa . These people will have a collection can
    looking for people to donate them money, some will have signs saying
    have no job will work for you any amount of money or donation will be
    appreciated but than some of them won't work if you offer to give them a
    job.

• There a lot in the USA >< and I do not give them money food is the best but I know for a fact we have homeless shelter and other programs to help people on there feet be careful because their are people who make there living as a homeless

• In New Zealand they're pretty common now. 15 -20 years ago they were pretty rare, but after the recession, new government, housing crisis they're common.

I don't really give them anything most just spend on alcohol or drugs , and I prefer to help out people in other ways.

• New Cross has billions. Which is weird since they're gathered around a university... You know, a place full of people with no money. Maybe they think they can blend in with all the hipster beards and torn jeans?

• I would give them food, but no money

• In the UK i pass beggars all the time and never give them anything. I sometimes tell them to eff off and they usually follow me swearing for a bit until they give up. Frankly, it's not my problem. I pay taxes, it's up to the government to sort it out. Most of them are liars anyway and not actually homeless.

• They're common. I never give them anything.

• there is no shortage of low level jobs so give them nothing but a job

• In UK foreign beggars came from Romania (gypsies), Bulgaria and Albania. Some run a small syndicate. However most real beggars here in UK are not foreign at all.. Its the chavs whos on benefits and cheats the system.

What Girls Said 6

• Here on the East Coast of the US, it's very common, some even have their children with them. I don't give money, but I do give them food and drink if I can. Some of the people begging are just looking for money for drugs or alcohol and some are just pretending that they are in need. If someone is really in need, at least food and drink is and tiny bit helpful.

• In Australia there are quite afew in the city. Most of them have mental problems but they are very friendly. They walk around the whole city asking people for money or they go through trash bins for food. But most live in the city park, literally a hotel for beggars.
    I have given money to them once or twice because they were very polite and I saw them help out afew people and make good conversations with the police so didn't think it would be bad. If they seem genuine I give them some money

• In the United States there are a lot of homeless beggars on the street , it's common to give them money but, not a lot of people give them money because we are all struggling.

• The beggars here are quite rude.. I once held two sandwiches, because I couldn't decide which one to get, and a man stood in fromt of me asking 'food? For me?' And I had difficulty moving away from him..

I've also seen them get mad because someone didn't give them anything.

On the other hand, i've seen very happy beggars chatting to other people, not asking for anyhing and being so happy when you do give them money.

• I see a couple beggars around town. I feel bad for them, but my family doesn't give them money. I keep telling myself I will, but I am such an awkward person so I kinda avoid any kind of social contact.

• It depends where in my country... I don't see them often but when I do I give them money.