Girls, guys, do you like it when an event you visit has a dress code?

I don't mean "casual" but rather "wear black and white" for example.
Question inspired by a journalist interviewed on the radio, who has totally missed the dress code mentioned on her invitation to a party.
Everyone was in black & white and she wore blue and yellow :-(
Do you like it when there is a dress code for an event, or does it prevent you from dressing as you'd want?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it bothers me much haha but I think I'd like it more. It makes finding what to wear a lot easier, if there is a specific theme or colour :)

Yeah, and I can't find any colour or look that wouldn't be compatible to you... class fits into anything and still looks perfect :D

I'm a little late but the MH is all yours sis :D

Hah thank you dear brother!

What Girls Said 11

• I like that. It's a little like fancy dress :P Dressing to a dress code is fun and hey, it's not as difficult to decide what to wear that way.

That's true... if you have a wardrobe full of options there will be only 2 or 3 left that meet the criteria :D

• I don't like it if the dress code is on colors like that.

Afraid to find nothing appropriate in your wardrobe? Or do you tend to wear only specific colours?

Yeah, I really dislike some colors on me. Also, it just makes shopping so much more difficult.

I see! I guess some girls would find it exciting and challenging to shop for the right look :D

• Yes I love fancy places

I hadn't looked at it that way, seeing everyone wear the same dress code must indeed be a special look :D

• Women like to plan. Its a thing. They spend hours combing the internet or shopping at their fav store. Its the "gatherer" of the "Hunter gatherer" history. Its innate! So when we get specifics its fun! Because we can go on a quest gatherering the perfect parts of our outfits :)

I see! So when you go to a party with a dress code you rush to the stores for a complete new outfit that meest the specifications and makes you shine :D?

Haha! YES!!

• Normally I don't attend events like that unless I'm being paid to be someone's date. When I'm on paid dates I dress as the man tells me to dress.

• I like it, because it makes things fun when getting dressed.

• Yes, I love getting dressed up.

A girl loving to dress up... you must be joking hahaha :D

• Love it!

• I prefer it. It makes me easier to pick my dress without getting confuse with so many other themes.

Haha I see! And you have enough dresses to meet no matter what dress code?
      Or you have your tricks? :D

Usually I will spend a month picking the most suitable dress before the event started 😁

Oh wow, the most extensive party planning I ever heard of :D

• A dress code not really. I'm more for the casual setting

• i love the fancy places ♡

I believe you Coco... and I'm convinced you're compatible with any look the dress code asks for :D

you flatter me ((ยด∀`*))

Haha the funny thing is that I've never seen your pic - so consider it flattering for the fun of it :D

What Guys Said 11

• Yeah I love it, unless it's fancy dress.

Stuff like evening dress is fantastic, you feel like such a boss.

Yeah, they'll think you're the manager of the place! 8)

• Nope, I hate dress codes, that's why I avoid such events.

I've never been invited to one except maybe as a kid. But I'd probably have the same idea: can I avoid having to go there?

It depends on the event, in some cases you can.

• My only dress codes are 'casual' or naked (on a nudist beach)

Haha Jacques, you're flexible!
      So I now know you go on holliday to a city near Oostende haha 8) I think it's the only nudist beach in Belgium...

Haha Jacques was it worth seeing or should I keep a safe distance?

@Hans222 that depends on the innocence of your eyes, mind and soul LOL :D :D

• I like it relaxed - "Smart Casual"

Yeah but... when you go to an event they decide of course :o

• No, i just don't go. Same with bars/clubs, if they have any dress code i just don't go in. It's the principle of it. I have a degree, i run my own business. If my money isn't good enough for you because i don't "look right" then i'll take it somewhere else.

You're certainly not wrong in having that opinion - they have to take us as we are!

• i have never done that before and i dont think i will.

Me neither, it was by coincidence I got inspired to this question...

• sometimes they have it that way. You have an option to attend or to skip the event.

• I like to dress up but I don't like it at all when I'm forced to

• I don't care

• Just colours, or does it involve having to wear a certain type of clothing, too?

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more