Is it weird that I've picked up a different accent?

I'm originally from London, but I have been studying in Bristol for the last 2 years.

My standard accent is Londoner. It's definitely not a "posh" accent, it's closer to cockney.

The accent in Bristol is what I would call "West Country". It's a bit of a "farmer accent".

Recently, my flat mates and the girl I'm dating have noticed my accent has changed ever so slightly.

Strangely, I have noticed it too, on several words. Is this normal?

Most Helpful Girl

• i speak Spanish with a northern mexican accent and when i went to spain my Spanish changed i began to sound kind of like Spanish people haha it was weird.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's normal. But it probably hasn't changed as much as you think. It'll be something in between. Also, your accent will change faster than things like the way your phrase things. After ten years your old accent might be completely gone, but you may still uses phrases and words that give a way that you are not from Bristol.

If you moved back to London, you'll probably pick up your old accent pretty fast.

What Girls Said 2

• Not at all

• Yes it's totally normal and you'll find that it may change more

What Guys Said 2

• My sister moved to work in a different part of the country and within a couple of years she was talking like a native then she came back and old accent came back. It is a sign you have a good ear for languages

Well I speak 3 fluently already and another quite well 😂

• Yes it's normal