Why do big cities tend to be more liberal?

Large cities tend to be more liberal. Here are a few examples of 2012 electoral college by state where red indicates conservative while blue indicates liberal.
Why do big cities tend to be more liberal?

0|0
2|5

Most Helpful Guy

• When you look at the demographic data of party affiliations.
    www.people-press.org/.../4-6-2015_LEDE.png

You'll noticed that most Republican voters are , white , religious , mormons , with below university level education or the silent generation.
    The countryside is generally where said population live and so , it's only natural that the country is more red.

While for democrats. They then to be ethnic , post-graduate women , irreligious and millennials. The said population mainly live in built up areas. And so the city tend to be more red.

www.people-press.org/.../

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Big cities tend to be poorer, have more minorities, less family values, more drugs, and people who live off government support.

0|0
    1|1

What Guys Said 4

• Larger Cities tend to be more racially/ethnically/culturally diverse than the country side or back woods that envelope those large city's. Conservative don't seem to like living in those areas it seems.

0|0
    0|0
  • i have no clue, but its weird to see that there's such a divide between liberals and conservatives from a Europeans point of view.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

This applies in Europe as well. For example, Paris is a lot more liberal than other parts of France. Cities like London, Manchester, etc are also more liberal than other parts in England.

• 2mo

yes i know that. given the differences between city people and countryside people it is normal that city people are more liberal. on other side, people in the countryside are liberal in other things and not necessarily political. but from a European's point of view liberalism and conservatism in the US is much more extreme than here.

• I notice that

0|0
    0|0
  • Country people tend to be more family oriented and have better moral values.

The cities are filled with crime, drugs, and sex all over.

1|0
    1|1
    • 2mo

Yeah that makes no sense. You living in the country doesn't mean you're likely more moral than city dwellers.
      The zip code you live in doesn't dictate that.

• 2mo

@MrAtticusLebowski No, but people with good family values that can afford it, do tend to want to raise their children away from all the bad stuff that goes on in big cities.

What Girls Said 1

• I guess because the cities are more diverse.

0|0
    0|0