How old were you when you moved out of your parents' house? Was it sad?

I'm moving out soon and I'm just curious to everyone else's experiences.

• No. I'm glad I move away from my parents.
  • Yes. I kinda miss the free food.

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought it was everything I ever wanted when I first moved out! But I actually began to realize I would probably never move back in with my mom considering a week later she redid my room for my brother to move in. I kind of regret it just because it was so sudden and it's just something I personally would give anything to relive again. I cried the first three nights I was on my own. To this day I still regret moving out as fast as I did but my family is still always there for me and you can always just stay the night whenever you want! Lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Make your own pro's and con's list. Of course you can a lot as you always wanted, but at the same time there will be a lot of new stuff that you can't handle by your self. Make sure that your parents understand that you will need help in the near future, no matter how old you are, no matter how much money you make,. it's all about understand and taking responsibility (more than you already do)
    First time i moved i was 16 years old (had to work in another city (for 3 years). Second time i was 23 (moved to new country with the parents but got a job in another city), there is always ups and downs. Make sure you can afford all what you are thinking of, make lists and plans... Enjoy the life at the time

What Girls Said 25

• Things are not well at home. I live with my parents. I'm actively looking for a place to live. Things are coming to a head with my mother and I. I just don't know if my financial situation is organized enough yet to move out.

• I was 24.
    It felt odd for the simple fact I literally had no furniture when I got my new place.
    I spent months at theirs until I got a TV, couch , table and other things.
    It felt different but it felt great.

There's not really any need for a TV these days as long as you have an internet connection and a laptop of a decent size you have access to all the same programs and far more if you want them though honestly i don't really watch that much but i have much more to chose from if i do want to.
      A projector can be useful though if your a gamer.

• I moved out when I was 25 and glad that I did. I felt suck when I had to depend on them all the time. It made me feel weak and terrified about my future, that I couldn't live by my own. I had to force mysekf to get out from my comfort zone.

• My boyfriend and I are planning our move out already, but my mom refuses to let me leave until I'm out of high school. I kind of expected her to be glad we were going, but I won't complain. It just mean I have a good excuse to mooch food and some maid service off of her for another few months. :'D

• I was 18 and I cried a lot. I still cry sometimes. I had to move out to study abroad but if I had the choice I would still live with them.

• I still live at home. I will probably be here for a while because I am still in college and someone needs to watch my younger brother. I desperately want to though. My other brother was able to go out of state to go to college. I am really jealous because even though my parents pay for everything he has way more freedom and doesn't have to deal with my younger brother. My younger brother is a little shit.

• Well my mom doesn't like my vulgarity? I call people "Pussywillow" and say not the word, but "effing" and she says its not ladylike and smacks me? So I'm kind of waiting for that sheer moment during the goodbye... Where I say every dirty word I can think of as i walk to the car with the last of my boxes. >:) "DICK ASS BITCH HO SLUT COCK-SUCKING PUSSY FUCKER -"

• just moved out this month @ 23 years old. I'm happy about it, it was time to leave the nest, be an adult, and fully begin my life.

• I moved out due to familial issues at 19. It was sad for a while but I adjusted.

• I'm 24 and unfortunately I still live my mother. However, I'm planning on moving, and if everything goes well, next year I will be able to move.

• I still live with them. It won't be sad if I move away, it's a better option for me. Living on my own will help me to get in the habit of being a real** adult. I want to move on from a little girl's lifestyle to an independent woman's lifestyle.
    I am malnourished here anyway. To be honest, it's difficult to follow a healthy lifestyle when I'm living with my parents. I'm hoping my diet will improve once I get to live on my own.

• I moved out of my aunt and uncles house at 17 because I got expelled from high school and almost arrested. Worst decision ever but that's life. You live and learn eh

• 21 and nope. I had a minute where I was like.. omg I can't do this. But then it's been smooth sailing ever since.

• I've technically moved out last year at 18, but not properly till I've completed uni so at 22 it'll likely be.

• When I turned 17 I was allowed to stay in my big brothers old building when they all married and moved to their own houses. It's still on my parents land but it's like a nice hotel room away from the main house. it works for now

• I still live at home. It isn't he best situation. Dating has been a struggle when you can't bring people home. Thankfully my boyfriend lives alone.

• I was 21 when I moved out and it's been amazing. If I was living alone it might have been sad, but I have my boyfriend.

• I moved out & bought my own house at 20-21.

• I moved out at 21. It was one of the best decision I've ever made. It feels great to be independent and have unlimited privacy.

• I am still in college... so probably not for a while.

• Still hasn't happened for me but I hope it does soon

• My parents still get to see my beautiful face every morning 😌 I'm here till they force me out.

• I was 21 when I moved out on my own at 21.

• I moved out completely at 21. It was very exciting. I still visit my mother at least every other week, though, cuz I love her. ❤️

• I'm 18 and doesn't move I wait to have a boyfriend for moving because i don't want to live alone it's depressing plus like this I can buy all the things I like. If I moved I wouldn't have enough money to support myself.

What Guys Said 25

• Technically when I was 17, but they were still supporting me. I'm not sure when I fully supported myself. It happened slowly over time as I bought more and more of my stuff.

No it wasn't sad. It was fun. It was a big adventure. Even before I moved out I'd been out traveling on my own all over the country. When I moved, it was just a continuation of the same adventure. I moved 1800 miles away. For the first several months I wrote a lot of letters home to my parents and friends (that was before email). There was a small part of me that was homesick, but mostly I was too busy having fun.

• It was incremental. I went away to college so only came home in the summer or other breaks. However, in 1987, I spent the summer at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base working on structural dynamics to be used on the International Space Station, so I didn't go home that summer. By then, I was a paid graduate student, so I never went home in the summer and, when I did go home, it was for holidays or maybe a weeklong break. My parents moved away in 1991 when my sister and I were both out of the house, so I couldn't even move back home if I wanted to at that point.

• Haven't moved out yet. Don't really see the need to while still in college. Though when I'm home there are definitely times when I wish I had my own space. I just don't need the extra living expenses right now. I'm sure it'll be sad when it happens, but hopefully when it does it means I'm moving in with someone special or I'm starting an exciting new chapter in my life (hopefully both).

• I was 18 when I left for college, then came back for the summer and a semester off. Then the following summer I got an off-campus apartment and that was it, so 20 I guess, technically.

• It's sad at first, but just go back to visit every once and a while. They would sure appreciate that as well. Then after a while, you will notice that you actually enjoy being on your own and living your own life. You will learn a lot about yourself and gain some serious independence.

• I moved out when I was 25 and I'm super glad I did. Having grown up with a very strict father, I don't miss it at all. I get to do what I want, when I want, and the fact I have my own place makes it even better.

I do miss seeing family and enjoy getting together with them, but having lived on my own for over a year taught me how to be responsible and take care of myself. Wouldn't have it any other way.

• I was glad to get out at 23.

• I became emancipated at the age of 16 and i had my first apartment. So yes i was very happy to leave.

• I'll be sad. But I can't live under their roof for the rest of my life. I want to live independently, get married, have at least 5 kids, and grow old with the woman I'm married to.

• One of the best things I ever did.

• I had to move out because I got a job in a different city. life situations can change according to times. i was not sad. But i missed home cooked hot food.

• Left for to college, went back for a moment to look for a job then moved got married... going throug divorce and now my dad lives with me.

• I was 19 and couldn't bear the thought of going back. I need my freedom and privacy too much.

• Bittersweet

• I moved out at 25. I've learned more about myself without them.

• 17, and not even a little sad.

• im looking to move away too, i dont like it here.

• 17. I was a fool take me back mom im not ready lmao

• Which time? I moved back in a couple times due to financial circumstance...

• I moved out at age 18 to attend college. But moved back in at age 23 because I couldn't get a job.

• Going to move out at 22. My parents are complete dickweed, alcoholics so it'll probably be the best decision i've made in my life.

• I miss it, but I'm happy where I am.

• I'm 14 so I haven't moved out yet. Planning to move out at 18 though when I go to college.

• i was 16/17 and no I don't miss them.

• If uni counts then 18 for 3 years if it doesn't then 22 but it was only short term. Otherwise i have not yet.