Do you think religious clothing is inappropriate at the work place?

I'm in law school and interning with this big firm and they allowed to be in court yesterday. The lawyer on the other side was a young muslim woman and she was wearing a headscarf and well a kind of loose dress. Kind like this

And the judge basically called her out for it, saying he doesn't expect much but he asks that the men in his court wear a suit and tie and the women an equivalent and he didn't deem her outfit appropriate. She responded saying that it is her religion to dress modest and he said it wasn't about religion. If she had worn a mini skirt he would have called her out too and that he asks lawyers in his court to dress uni-formal because it eliminates stereotype.
At that point a different lawyer from her firm took over and that was the end of that. So ya I thought it was interesting topic.
Do you agree with him? That she should dress as other female lawyers as well even though it might not be considered modest enough for her religion?
I think he is right that the suit has become a de facto uniform in a lot of offices so that clothes aren't the center of attention and other things can be. Remember this guy, kinda the same story

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as the clothing is appropriate and not dangerous, it should be okay. There certainly was no danger presented by her apparel I ever courtroom, and that outfit was as good as a suit on a man, so I see nothing wrong with it. I think the firm should have reported that judge to the Bar Association.

well my boss said it's kinda a greyzone. Judges are def allowed to throw people out of court based on their attire and he wasn't even doing that.
      And that being said, he said it's not worth pursuing , you most likely won't be able to prove discrimination and you'll piss off a whole bunch of judges

Most Helpful Girl

• Free country, wear what you want... Not really true: many many jobs and schools require students and employees to wear a mandatory uniform so as to avoid any and all of these situations where for whatever reason, someone feels like they should be able to wear something different even if they signed up to adhere to the dress code.

Now granted, don't know if that's the case here, but in the court of law, there is a reason lawyers tell their clients to dress a certain way--it's because from teh moment they walk in, people are judging them, and it's the same for the lawyers behind them. No male lawyer is going to wear a red shirt and a mickey mouse tie to work in the same way, no female lawyer is going to wear a low cut top and mini skirt. They won't be taken seriously. In the case of the religious garb, it can in fact, be seen as a distraction by those in the court. Some people just hate people who are different and you show up in religious garb, that juror might totally tune you out because of it. Shouldn't happen, but we clearly know it does in the same way a client showing up in pjs wouldn't be taken seriously or may be tuned out as not carrying about his or her case.

I think there are other factors here at play outside of making this about religion. I also think she could very easily be modest in a pant suit with a button down long sleeve shirt. All her skin would be covered and it would be modest.

What Guys Said 20

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I understand the judge's point, but I don't agree. Personally I'll never wear a suit anywhere, not under any circumstances. I would never take a job where they expected me to wear a suit. Where ever it is, if I can't wear blue jeans, then I don't want to be there (partly because I don't own anything else).

I feel the same way about school uniforms. I think uniform requirements in public schools should be illegal.

• "That she should dress as other female lawyers as well even though it might not be considered modest enough for her religion? " Now lawyers have a code, and the dressing must be appropriate, and very precise. Everyday dresses won't do, as won't do muslim clothes. It's either muslim clothing or work, but not both. The law dressing code has to be respected.

• As an officer of the court, she should have been dressed professionally.

• It is as far as a headscarf in the industry I work in. It's dangerous to have anything covering your obscure view when operating equipment in a busy warehouse. Due to being an equal opportunity employer, our staff allows the hijab as well. (rare as that is here) It's honestly a really touchy subject since safety is priority number one, but at the same time, not allowing a team member to operate heavy machinery (and in effect grow with the company) could come across as discrimination.

• If there's a dress code - formal or not-, follow t
    I don't care what the reason is, everyone plays by the same rules.

• Sure let's work in a place with that whole Islam clothing where it's full of machines, with MORE risks of getting stuck and getting killed
    Sounds like a plan?

• Does it prevent her from doing her job, No, a Muslim woman with a headscarf can do her job just as well as any of the Suits in the Office,
    Well then its perfectly appropriate

• Depends where you work, but usually yes they are inappropriate. When you are working you are also representing the company you work for and most of the time working in religious clothing would be seen as unprofessional or even inappropriate.

• I don't like it but I wouldn't be against it unless it was really distracting.

• That judge was an idiot and should be censured. Assuming he is from a country that guarantees freedom of religion then he is quite wrong. Surely religious freedom trumps his petty little ego trip.

• Yup it is inappropriate, keep religion out of workplace and everyone needs to comply with the guidelines or rules of a place of work. Muslims never understood that...

• If the clothing interferes with the work or presents a safety hazard, then yes. I'm not sure whether there are any rights to wearing certain clothes that violate a work dress code due to religion.

• If there is a STRICT dress code then yeah don't wear it unless it fits.

• no religious clothing like you mentioned in the pic isn't inappropriate at all

• I'm with the judge on this one.

• Not really, in the Uk Muslim women can wear burkas with their police uniform.

• no but it pointless it doesn't mean anything cloths is cloths to GOD

• conservative and orthodox jews are often wearing a yamacha or a talit. it's just something of a tradition

• Yes, in the USA anyway, a proper court attire is required. The USA has a secular (non religion based) government, so it would actually be unconstitutional to allow her attire. Government has to be religion neutral... in other words nothing pointing to any specific religion.

• I feel like if a judge did that where I live, they'd probably be disbarred.

What Girls Said 5

• Okay like, if I was accused of a crime, I wouldn't want my lawyer dressed in a burqa. I mean, I have no problem with Muslims and don't care if my lawyer is Muslim.

But other people are prejudiced AF. If they have a problem with Muslims, I don't want to be found guilty by association.

Like, it sounds like that was a civil case. But you get where I'm coming from? Like her religion has nothing to do with her ability as a lawyer, so why make it one?

• It's not it's forbidden

• Obviously not.

• If there is a legit dress code you must follow it.

• I'm not really sure what specifically makes it inappropriate. The judge wants her dress to be tighter? Should it be two pieces? Is it only the headscarf?

I feel that you need to include specifics of what is allowed and not allowed rather than a generic "dress more like other people."