Is it wrong to feel sad a pet past away weeks after?

I recently lost a cat who I had for around 10 years. I still feel sad about it and it's almost been a month. It was the same when I lost my dog and people keep telling me I shouldn't be upset over it because it was just a pet and 8 can just get a new one... To me that feels like I'd be replacing my owe family members... Am I just too attached to my pets?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's normal. I love animals and I understand you. For me an animal is like a member of my family too. I really get attached. You've had it for so long, nothing unusual that you're so sad about his death. I am really sorry.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is completely okay to lose a pet and be sad/depressed about it for a long time. I was sad about my pet dying for weeks, still sad about it sometimes. Pets are family, no matter what.

Thanks for the MHO and hope you will feel better dude :).

What Girls Said 3

• Pets are part of your family. I don't understand people who say it's "just" a pet.

• Not really. I'd be devasted if anything happened to my dog. He's part of the family

• There's nothing wrong with feeling that way, don't let people tell you otherwise.

What Guys Said 7

• no it's not wrong

• Of course it is - It is like losing a member of the family

• Not at all man. I have a soft spot for pets

• that is a pretty normal feeling

• Of course not! That's a normal reaction to a loss of a pet! :D

• I was taught from a early age pets come and pets go that still doesn't help with the pain

• It's not wrong. I'd feel differently about the people telling you that.
    Sorry for your loss.