Have you experienced a power cut/power outage?

The longest one I experienced was for two days. It was because of heavy rains.
Otherwise 2-3 hour power outage isn't that uncommon here.
Hbu,? What was it like?

Most Helpful Guy

• For Indians like me, A better question would be "Have you ever had electricity all day long?"

In fact, I'm experiencing a power cut right now :(
    You already know what kind of conditions are here.
    The longest one I experienced was for something like 5-7 days? Back in 2006, there was a power grid failure after a storm. The inverter barely lasted two days. It was summer vacation. We used to sleep outside in the horde of mosquitoes. There was no source of entertainment except watching constellations and counting satellites. I used to compete with my dad about who could find the most number of satellites in the sky. Days were harder to spend because of excessive heat. And there was no refrigerated water.

I'm also Indian 😜
      I have experienced load shedding too. But it doesn't happen these days, dunno why. Acche din maybe?😎

You are welcome

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, back in NYC we had a power outage for nearly 3-4 days. I was a young girl around 10 years old, and it was a bit scary at first. Then I remember that my parents had talked about the major blackout back in the 80's. We really didn't have anything then. No TV, no power or gas, nothing. Forget cell phones as we never had any at the time. The landlines were down. And we had to get back to the apartment before a certain time as violence was increasing and people started taken advantage of doing certain crimes.

What Guys Said 22

• They are very common where I live. My side of the street gets them about ten times as often as the other side.

A couple weeks ago we had one for about 12-14 hours.
    Last spring we had one for 4-5 days.
    I get small ones for 1-3 hours once every month or two.

The longest I've had was a week. That was because of a hurricane a thousand miles away. That one lasted 10 days for some people near me. I got a lot of reading done at night with my LED headlight. We were lucky the weather was good because no heat or A/C.

• It happened. No lights, not even in the street, no elevator, no television, no computer. Annoying. In Turkey and Mexico it was annoying too. (no A/C)
    I lived it in Upper Egypt (not far from Sudanese border ) while I was looking for a pharmacy.
    An African town can be scary in the night if there's no light at all. Only candles behind windows. Those Sudanese guys seemed very tall to me. Nothing bad happened.

• yes i have. the longest i experienced was about 48 hours. there was one that lasted almost a week but luckily i was on vacation when it occurred and when i got home power was on

• Happened a long time ago. I remember this one time when I was a kid and we had an outage. For som reason, I found one of my biology schoolbooks, opened a page with an entire human skeleton displayed. So I took a pencil and copied it under candle light.

Wow that's... that's interesting. Because I don't have that much patience and perseverance when it comes to these things🙈🙈😃

• Over a week, once.
    Snowstorm, a huge and intense one, right before Halloween one year. Knocked out EVERYTHING, for a while.

Not much to do, nowhere to go? Did a lot of napping and reading.

• I experienced a power outage that lasted about 12 hours once when I was a teen. It freaked my mother out big time.

My wife and I experienced a power outage one evening that lasted roughly two hours. After that, we often staged "power outages" where we turned off all lights and electronic devices for an entire evening and just sat and talked, read, played piano, and made love all by candlelight. We looked forward to those nights.

What about Jan. 17, 1994?

I remember that morning vividly... not only because a ceiling fan fell onto my foot, but also because it was absolutely the first -- and last -- time I've ever seen the starry night sky from the L. A. metro.

@redeyemindtricks

I was roughly 30 miles from the Northridge Quake's epicenter. No power outage occurred at all. I have lived in the South Bay virtually all my life. I've never lost power during a quake. Not Northridge, not Landers, not Big Bear, not Whittier Narrows, and not Sylmar.

In the late 70s or early 80s (certainly before high school), the USGS made an extensive survey of faults in the L. A. area (and across the country). They detonated explosives underground and listened to the echoes. I know this because my parents' house was right across the street from an abandoned oil well where they were detonating explosives! Periodically there would be a rather big bump and the house shuttered a bit, like a minor earthquake. My mother was terrified the whole day. Coincidentally the power went out (it was windy), but my mother thought the charges were doing it and no amount of argument could convince her otherwise.

I mean... LOL I don't blame her. Why tf weren't they detonating explosive charges farther from... dense urban civilization?

• The last big one I remember was the ice storm of 2013 here in Toronto. I was very fortunate that my power only went off for about ten minutes, but a friend only a few blocks away lost hers for days.

I am prepared: I have candles and blankets and food.

• Yes longest one for me was all night this summer. I just had went to bed and was falling a sleep. Then I heard this large crack and woke me up the power goes off and I'm like fuckkkkkkkkkkk a transformer blew. So I called the power company the came out and fixed it during the night but not till like 8 am the power was back up. So its summer out and humid as fuck. I'm sweating and can't sleep at all cuz im wide awake. Just ruined my whe day.

• About a week because of a frozen rain storm.

Wow a week is too long... how did you manage? Must've been hard? Because when we had 2 day outage, water in our house also ran out because water pump wouldn't work..

We had a generator.

• We are lucky maybe once a year for a couple of hours

• Yup tons of times during the stormy season, the longest I've ever done is a full night.

• In the past there were problems but now things have improved a lot. India is growing very fast and things are getting better day by day.

• i dont recall when the last time was, but i do remember it only lasted a few seconds

• 2 weeks in the burbs

out on the farm we really don't have stuff that uses electricity lol

don't think i've ever seen a power outage in the city yet all those backup generators

• Not too common. A couple bad storms killed our power for 24 hours or more twice. Most outages here are only a few hours. We do have an emergency generator. For the big outages, we could power our refrigerator, the tv, some fans, and the coffee maker

We have smaller generators at home but they usually last up to only 8 hours if fully loaded. And we can't use TV and refrigerator on it 😐. Only few lights, fans etc

Yeah.. about 8 hours, so I have to have a gas can filled. Ours isn't too big; about a 3 kW generator. sits in the garage mostly.

• yeah I did, may be for a period of 8 hours and not more than that..\

power cut mean no wifi, no laptop and no charging... it felt disgusting for a while but, that made me explore the place, where I live. So, sometime power cuts are cool..

• once for a week. i went outside and stuff was cool.

• im facing that since i was a kid. in my country there's lots of load shedding

• A few, never more than a couple hours that I can remember.

• Yup 2-3 days it was long while back when the electric pole was knocked down by a truck.

• Everyday there are 6 hours of power outage here 😂

• Sometimes it goes out when theirs a storm, I usually go to a restaurant.

What Girls Said 6

• The last power outage I went through was a few months back. We had a rainstorm, which mainly the tough winds were brutal against our power lines. On top of that, it was a really hot day, so it felt like we couldn't breathe. It went out 4:30pm, and did not come back on until 4am. Really terrible experience.

• Wow that's crazy oO
    I've only experienced a power cut like.. 2x (?) and it only lasted a couple of minutes, each time was caused by a storm

• yea quite a few times actually and I was indifferent lol
    the only scary time was in 2006 during the war against israel
    we had moved to our country house cs it s safer and then the power went off and we heard the plane of israel passing above lol
    I freaked out

• Yes, I've dealt with power outages often enough. I haven't had one last too long recently, thank goodness. However, I have had no power for days with really bad storms before.

• Many but the longest was about 8 hours. I have a generator on my house now fkr emergencies.

• Yeah lots of times. It sucks lol