Have you ever purposefully skipped out on jury duty? Anything happen to you?

I was all resigned to going to jury duty as I got a summons about a month ago, but the day I was to serve, I got really sick and so I just re-scheduled it. Then a week later, I got another jury summons for yet another court.

This is ridiculous. Out of the millions of people who live here, suddenly I have two summons?

One, I'm willing to go to, but now that I have two, this is over the top. Even the web address the summons gave to re-schedule doesn't even work (it is a legit summons though).

So has anyone ever dodged service and did anything happen like a fine/warrents/etc?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have never been on jury duty. I was sent a notice about 5 months after I graduated back in 1986. I was enrolled full time at Wayne State University at the time and just sent a letter to that effect. They excused me. That is the only Jury Duty notice I have ever received.

Most Helpful Girl

• I ignored the letter I got once. Nothing happened. But I know it's our civic duty and if I ever get asked again, I'd def like to go. It could be an interesting crime and experience.

What Guys Said 18

• You shouldn't simply ignore the summons, just say you are racist and cannot possibly offer an impartial verdict should your case involve anyone of those races, I've used that one both times i've been called up.

I do wonder who can afford to take 2-8 weeks off work to deal with other people's problems? If they offered to match your salary as compensation i'd do it.

at least we're not Canada where you have to "volunteer" your time

Regarding your last point, it's kind of a major issue. The jury is meant to be a cross section of society, but it isn't. You get retirees, the unemployed, and workers in union positions that cover their full salary. Everyone else scrambles like mad to get out of it.

Particularly brutal when you have cases around like cybercrime or financial fraud. How many programmers or people with a solid finance knowledge are likely to be on the jury? Probably zero.

• never been summoned. kind of wish i was

• You can be prosecuted for contempt of court. In most jurisdictions, that is unlikely to happen.

If you call the second court and explain that you just got summoned for jury duty in another court, you will probably be excused from jury duty in the second court.

Let me guess: that summons was for federal court. Try calling the other court: they may be more receptive.

ha, yeah, I'm not surprised by that either. I'm still pissed with them after the last time I had to go there for jury duty before Christmas one year, and they made us literally wait all day long all the way from 9 until 5pm, just to tell us, oops sorry, we're not going to select a jury today. We're going to wait until after Christmas to select a jury, so see everybody back here in two weeks.

• I've never been called but my step dad has. He didn't want to either. First he rescheduled, but then when he did go, he made sure they didn't want him when he got there lol. They asked if anyone was racist and he said he was. He was told to go home lol.

• As far as I know it is a legal requirement and you are allowed reschedule casually once, if you want to reschedule after that you have to have a real good reason.

• Nope. I got put on call one time. They said if they call me, then I need to show up to be interviewed for a jury. They never called... I've never even had to go in to be interviewed yet. If they did, I'd show up... I don't think I'd be a good candidate in an attorney's eyes though. I know a good deal about the law, I'm very observant, critical, stubborn, and relentless. They'd rather have me as an investigator than some mind they're trying to convince. A lot of other people are easier to sway...

• Man I really wanna do jury duty some day. I've never been called!

I've been on 3 juries over the years. It is interesting to see how it all works. The last one I was on was a month ago

@ArrowheadSW thats cool! My dad had jury duty recently and he got picked to be on the jury. Had an interesting case too.

It IS very interesting. The only thing that annoyed me was some of the people on the jury acted like they expected the case to work out as it would on TV. LOL... But hey the prosecution can only use evidence that is admissible. If they have a witness who flakes out there is not much they can do.

• Nope. Only way to get out of it is to never fill out a census or vote so they can't find you when you move.

• You could receive a fine or even jail time for repeated offenses as those might be criminalized.
    The fine would probably depend on the state you live in.

Just go do whatever your slave state tells you to do and don't risk it.

• I've always wanted to do it but have never been called upon.
    So that means I've never jigged jury duty.

• You will be in contempt of court if you refuse a jury summons. Go to duty... everyone who ever has, has loved it. Been 3 times... every time was awesome!

• Most peole i know have gotten out of it for one reason or another. I got out of it because of transportation reasons.

• I'm pretty sure you need to go in and make up a excuse like your moving house on the day and the truck is booked and payed for

• You should look at their website or call to find out how you can get out of it.

• it's easy to get kicked off the panel. Google it

• no, i don'tbelieve in jury trials.

• YES... and NO!!!

• Yes. I went to see my alderman.

What Girls Said 4

• I wish I could assigned to jury duty. I get to judge people in an air conditioned room and my meals are provided. Hell yes.

They don't provide meals or pay for parking when we serve.

That sucks. It is easy to get kicked off the panel though.

• No, the one time I got called for jury duty, they said I was excused from it thankfully.

• If you skip it you can be arrested. You probably got the second one because you rescheduled the first time

• I was called once and it was 3 days before I was supposed to move to a different county to start a new job. I told them that and they let me out of it. It's really not that difficult to get out of jury duty.