What's the difference between insecurity and jealousy?

And envy.

I can sense insecurity in others, but not sure if that's jealousy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Envy is when you desire something someone else has, and you are tempted to take it away from them so you can have it for yourself.

The term jealousy is only accurately used when in reference to a relationship. Jealousy is when your partner does something with somebody else that makes you feel uneasy or you begin to question your partner's fidelity.

Insecurity is completely unrelated to the other two terms. Yes, both envy and jealousy can stem from insecurity, but that doesn't mean everyone in the history of time who has ever felt jealous should automatically be deemed an insecure person. When you say someone is insecure it means they lack confidence in a certain aspect of themselves. It could be their appearance, social skills, intelligence, physical strength, or athleticism, among many other things.

Most Helpful Girl

• Insecurity is picking at ur faults and getting a complex about them

Jealousy is being nasty to others picking out others faults on purpose to deflect the fault in themselves buying things that's the same as the person they are jealous of knowing it will look better on them etc

Envy is the same as jealousy but not to the same degree envy is silently being jealous

Wow that's actually really interesting what you said about envy being silently jealous.

What Guys Said 19

• Jealousy and envy are closely related, but I see them as distinct and here's how:

Jealousy is wanting to continue to possess (or a fear of losing) something you already have. Envy is simply wanting something you don't have which somebody else does.

So you might get jealous if your girlfriend flirts with your guy. But if you see that she has a boyfriend and you want one too, that's envy.

Both jealousy and envy are ways insecurity might manifest itself. If you are insecure about your boyfriend's commitment to you, you're more likely to be jealous if someone flirts with him. But there are many ways to express insecurity. There is everything from being a loner to putting people down. If you're insecure about your body, you might wear baggy clothes.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

• Insecurity is lack of confidence or you feel you are not good enough. Jealous is simply wanting what someone else has.

• Insecurity: "I'm not good enough" (for something)

Jealousy: "I hate that they have something I don't have - even if I don't want it myself."

Envy: "I want what they have."

• jealousy can lead to insecurity.

jealous means you are envious of someonelses being, achievements or possessions

insecurity means that something makes you feel uncertain or lacking confidence.

Can you feel insecure without feeling jealous? Because I'm pretty sure there are people who get insecure around me, mostly because I'm really hard-working.

But I'm not really sure if that means they're jealous of me. It just means they think I'm trying to dominate them or something when I have no such intention

yes you can be insecure without being jealous.

a person can be insecure about almost anything. the car the drive, their acne, their family, grades, intelligence, physical or emotional stuff, etc, etc

i think it could be both insecurity and jealousy... or one or the other

• Jeousy is the fear of losing someone/something you already have or the dislike of sharing someone/something you already have.

Envy is a strong desire towards something that someone else has but you currently lack.

Insecurity is feeling inferior based on how your traits/skills compare to others.

Can a person feel insecure without feeling jealous?

I'm one of those people truth be told, who likes it when I get the praise/appreciation for my work. I like being the smarter person in the room etc.

That being said, I don't really know if that means I'm jealous. I've always just thought I was competitive.

• Insecurity is more an internal thing - "I am not good looking like that guy and will never get girls like him"
    Jealousy/Envy - "I hate him, if he wasn't around, I would get the girl" (Which is a very big stretch of logic)
    You can overcome insecurity but jealousy/envy sucks at your soul.

• Insecurities are something about yourself that you don't like, which often leads to relationship issues particularly around trust.

Jealousy is generally geared toward the opposite sex, particularly as it pertains to your significant other or person you're interested in. This is also often tied to trust.

Because both it these are closely related to trust they're often seen as going hand in hand, but they are mutually exclusive.

Really? I think jealousy especially for women is so prevalent between the same sex.

It confuses me, because sometimes when I work with people who say I try to 'control' them or dominate them when I've worked extremely hard, I can't tell if they're jealous.

More often than not, I feel that they are. Especially when it comes to them back-biting about me etc. when they could have an open conversation with me about what part of the work they felt they had a greater right on.

Sorry, my response was geared mostly toward relationships.

Jealousy can also occur when someone recognizes someone else as more intelligent, better looking, more successful, or reached a higher benchmark on whatever they value and they resent them for it.

Don't mean to but in but it sounds like they are doing that to discredit you to make themselves feel better and to enable them to use this excuse agian in the future. They are justifying their lack of work ethic by blaming it on you so they don't have to do it.

• Insecurity: you don't trust yourself like, you don't think you can do it
    Jealousy: wanting something that someone else has. Or doubting your partner I don't know

I think jealousy can be a part of insecurity

• Jealousy is anger born from the fear of losing love.

Envy is the desire to own the experience/material possession of another.

Insecurity is a lack of self confidence in a particular aspect of yourself.

• If you can't sense jealously then your probably not sensing insecurity, their basically the same emothion but ones more angry then the other.

• People insecure in relationships are always worrying where your at when you aren't with them. People whose jealous got to have things that are better than what you have or they are jealous if you have a partner who showers you with love.

• They all exist together if you have one generally you have the rest

• Essentially they mean the same thing, but sometimes jealous people are also conceited and feel as if no one else should be like they are. Insecurity is a bigger subject than that. Fears... Doubts... Lack of confidence... Hope i helped

• Cheeseburgers.

• i think you know that one is not automatically jealous if they're insecure.
    also one is not insecure if jealous. this is not always true.

• I have all of the above

• I'm kind of both a lot.

• they're different.

• Insecurity is about yourself, jealousy your feeling about others.

What Girls Said 1

• both of them go hand in hand.. insecurity (not feeling good enough) gives rise to jealousy (bitter competition)