I feel super guilty for buying a $400+ textbook? How do I stop feeling guilty?

Another alternative is I can buy the e-version for $100 or something, but then I won't really study as well, as I usually prefer textbooks.

Most Helpful Guy

• College texts have always been outrageously priced. I started college in the mid 70s and books were outrageous then. They really should do something about it. I have no doubt that they could do something if they really wanted to. Some specialized upper division books might still be expensive. But lower division books should be much cheaper.

One thing I think they should do is when a book is picked, it must be used for at least 3-5 years, with the same edition. The publishers should be required to continuing printing the book for a period of time. Being required to buy the latest edition of an ancient history book is absurd. Same with a lot of other subjects.

If you really need the book, and can't get by with some alternative, then you shouldn't feel guilty. It's a ripoff that students have been paying forever. But if you must have it, you have to bite the bullet and pay it.

If it was me, I'd get the ebook, or skip buying it altogether. The books aren't really needed for a lot of classes. I think I could have gotten by not getting three out of four books I bought for college.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can probably return the book and use the ebook.

What Guys Said 2

• Book prices for college textbooks are way out of line. Last year I was in a college bookstore and noticed that the first-year calculus textbook was $235! How the hell do they justify this?

• By selling it for $500+

What Girls Said 1

• rent them from chegg website! totally cheaper! it's called chegg dot com