Mandatory pension/healthcare/transportation-pass - yay or nay?

Being born in a hyper-capitalist society , socialised welfare has always been a bit of an alien concept to me.
Coming to Canada and finding out that you are required by the government run insurance company to pay a handsome sum for a health-insurance you can't opt out of.
Required by the education system to pay the bus-company for a transport pass you can't opt out of.
Required by the tax agency to pay for a pension fund that you can't opt out of.

Do you think the government is doing it as some sort of benevolent master who wants the best of everyone or do you think it's just a shameless money grab?

• PROLETARIAT VICTORY! DOWN WITH THE BOURGEOISIE!
  • HANDS OUT OF MY FUCKING POCKETS!

Most Helpful Girl

• Single payer insurance is cheaper than individual purchasers so you should be happy. You're saving money.

Most schools have transportation agreements. If you don't like it you can do to a different school.

All of this type of program save you money so what's the problem?

My folk's corporate healthcare already covers everyone plus dental. I have my own car. It's not saving me money , it's an unnecessary expense.

Unless of course in the corporate scheme , the core beneficiary pays $60 and every additional family member pays $40. Which in a family of 3 means it's 140.
      While in your hypothetical scheme , everyone pays say $50 , that 150.
      The made up numbers game can be played both ways.

The gist of it is , free choice. Let people determine how they use their money. Simple enough to understand. If private solution offers a cheaper alternative , let people opt out. You don't even need a college education to understand this... I hope.

You are totally missing the point of this example.

Most Helpful Guy

• coming from a socialist shithole with a shitty economy. mandatory socialism is not good man. the Netherlands has a much better socialist system than Belgium, mandatory socialism is not good in my book.

What Girls Said 1

• You say you came to Canada no one's forcing you to stay some where you don't want to be. You can always leave.

What Guys Said 1