Do you think staying friends with an ex strengthens your bond with them?

to me it feels like you create a different level of understanding and respect between one another, especially of you are able to put aside any bad times you guys had together

what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Seems a bit complicated - Would it not be hard for the person who didn't want relationship to end

Most Helpful Girl

• I always keeps contact to my ex unless they initially stop contacting :) Because for me, the relationship is not too important to make me feel bitter of it. What I do is to ignore, I don't "try", or say "let's be friends". I just let things leave naturally, I don't delete their contact, don't talk behind them back, and yet, I feel I get over it, it is like one of obstacles that I have just experienced, and moved on. Sometimes, I feel that I easily forget what happened at that time too.

Normally, they will be the first one talking to me again, or else I always forget their existence. If they want to come back, I try to make excuse haha :))

What Guys Said 3

• Depends. I think it'd be tough for at least one of the parties.

• May be , but i am sure her husband won't happy about that ; p

• there is no reason to be friends with an ex

What Girls Said 8

• No, I don't think so. I feel like it would just cause complications. I don't want a "bond" with my ex. Staying friends and trying to have a relationship with an ex can just make it more difficult to move on.

• its something i'll never do

• Why would I want a relationship of any kind with an ex? Unless I have a kid with him, I can't imagine why I'd still talk to him.

• Sometimes yes, Sometimes no. Depends on how they get along and if they have gotten over the break up.

• No - bad idea to be friends

• I think it’s a state of delusion where two people pretend they can actually have a friendship after being sexual and exploring places amongst each other that there’s no going back from. I also generally think it’s very foolish and stupid because there’s really no use in having a strengthened bond with them at this point unless you plan on getting back together with them. Otherwise, it’s just going to be a problem when a new woman comes along especially if he can’t stop talking about her and she has things you always lacked. You’re playing yourself. Stop.

• What's the point? Just move on.

• No. Your ex is an "ex" because you're trying to break the bond. Staying friends is an illusion. Or a delusion?