Do you know of any local legends in your area?

Well, its October, I'm picking back up my #Creepyhappenings takes and going to be asking a few questions.
I've got a road in my town called Dudley road, Rumor has it they hung a witch from a tree there and now its hella haunted.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you have 90 minutes? I'm a ghost tour guide in Savannah GA!!! LMAO

Aaaand, last night I overhear gunshots while giving a tour, when just the night before I SEE a shooting while helping a new guide practice...

Well I DEFINITELY understand, and I have been there myself. I'm always here if you want to talk.

"Sounds like you're living a life that is just "okay". Are you maybe not living life for you, that way you want to live it?"
      Thats probably it but I don't know how to do anything else

Most Helpful Guy

• in my city there is a legend about the wall of Geraardsbergen. i suspect the wall was a legend created to scare away invaders, up until today the legend seems to work because what we call the wall is just a mediocre hill. not the hill but the path up the hill is called the wall because its so steep. there is no actual wall lol.

we also have this little statue of a little naked boy holding his penis and he is pissing, his penis is a fountain. his legend goes on from medieval times. since the houses of European cities where build so close together it was easy for entire cities to burn to the ground, just look at the fire of London. the legend goes that the little boy found a fire and he needed to pee so he peed on the fire and thus saving the city of a disaster. later this statue was erected in his name.

http://www.quernus.info/maxi/00042/0004235ab.jpg

What Girls Said 23

• Yes I know a few very creepy stories.
    Creepiest of them all though just has to be the murder of Julia Martha Thomas, happened in the 19th century. Im just gonna copy paste the story lol:
    Callous Kate Webster (the maid) pushed her twice-widowed employer down the stairs, strangled her and chopped her body up and boiled it, and giving the dripping to local kids to eat.
    Days after the slaying a box was found in the Thames River by a coal man containing a 'mass of white flesh', and Mrs Thomas' foot was found on an allotment in Richmond while Kate stole the identity of her employer and even her false gold teeth.
    -----
    Oh and apparently her head was recently found in David Attenborough's garden, in like 2010-11 (when I first read about the story).
    You can read the whole story here, it is INSANE. www.telegraph.co.uk/.../...-was-murder-victim.html

I just find the story so crazy, I mean Richmond is like the ultimate peaceful suburbia of London lol, or well apparently not.

But this isn't really a legend though, this actually happened, and the maid ended up confessing her doings and was hanged for it.

• Okay so my mom's old house has lots of weird stories about it. When we first moved to town we heard all sorts of weird things about it. Supposedly there was a spinning wheel and gold hidden in the walls. Like the walls didn't have insulation in them. But there was still no way a spinning wheel was fitting in there.

It was also a party house in like the 70s/80s since it has a propensity for sitting empty for long periods of time... and people used to break in and say they saw all sorts of things like a guy hanging himself in the stairwell.

They also talked about a lot of people dying in the house which is actually true. Just the original family of 7 had four deaths in the house between 1904 and 1935. Then there were tons of renters in and out so a few of those died too.

I don't know if you want to hear all the weird stuff that actually happened to us or if you want to save that for another time.

• Yes, @Waffles731. I do have a 'Local Legend' in my own area.
    I live in the State of PA, near to the Infamous Poconos, which at One time I resided. There is this old Tavern that is now a Haunted Halloween Fun House where People can tour during Halloween.
    It is has been Said that a Man was Killed by a Car one Night back in the 70's and his Ghost has been Haunting this ever since.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

Thanks for the Like, hun. xx

I lived in Gettysburg for a while, and I have HEARD this story!! One of the guys the used to work the fun house had moved, and was working at the haunted corm maze near Spring Grove, and told me this story, because he hear about me being a ghost hunter. His name was Matt, and he says he saw the Ghost once.

Interesting, @dragonfly6516. lol What about This real Scary Haunted tour House in Saylorsburg, PA. I believe there is Magic up that sleeve as swell. xx

• Someone working in Cairo Mill as a security guard saw a UFO, at Castleshaw some people saw a Roman Soldier'a ghost ride through their car (Castleshaw was a roman post at one time), the theatre house the Oldham Coliseum is haunted by a guy who was accidentally stabbed while rehearsing the play Macbeth, some tall tale about a giant monkey that some pub landlord used to keep, two Giants who fought each other over a water nymph and that's why the area where they lived is so full of boulders and there was a lot of satanic/devil worship shit that went on in the 70s and 80s in the more rural parts. So quite interesting really for local legends.

Oh and I forgot the woman who was mummified and kept in Manchester museum because she was scared of being buried alive!

• Those fucking creepy ass clowns... I swear if they ever come into my county... smh. They are in various parts of Florida and I hope I see none of them this season. I heard they have been around for years and it is some cult type shit.
    Anyway, can I share some things about Jamaican urban legends? I know much more about those. (I also hope my friends and family are safe during that hurricane).
    We have:
    -The White Witch of Rose Hall (You will hear MANY different variations of this story, the CORRECT version is that Annie Palmer was strangled to death by a slave named Takoo in her sleep. Wikipedia has the correct version of the story, ironically lol)
    -The Rolling Calf
    -The Number 13
    -Cotton 'duppy' trees
    -Ol' Hige
    These are a few of the urban legends from there.

• We have a local "Lady of the swamp". She resides in the woods/swampy area of a local drinking hangout for teens. I've never been there, but I have heard of people who have claimed to see her.

I personally love local legends and spooky stories!

• Closest I come to creepy urban legends is the Blair Witch... I know, overexposed... loses its fun after a few bad movies.

• If there are... any of the interesting or spooky legends - I don't know of them. Nah... there aren't. It's just an old city in an old country - a lot of history here, but no legends that are interesting...

• No clue.

There was one house in my old town that got busted for drugs, but that's as close to any local legends, and that's not even from where I live right now.

• I don't know of any legends, but I'm pretty sure the man who runs in his underwear every day will become a legend when he dies. 😂

• Minutes away from where I live there is this old "castle" in the woods. It is called Madame Sherri's castle. I have been there many times and there have been crazy rumors about it. Supposedly her ghost messes with your car while you parked there, if you walk to the top of the stairs and call her names she will push you off, some people have claimed to see strange things or felt that they were being watched, I actually smelt smoke like there was a fire in the basement. Its an interesting place.

• There's the Cry Baby Bridge in Rogues Hollow
    A mansion in Kent that is said to be haunted
    A mansion in Cleveland that is said to be haunted.

• Loch Ness Monster 😆

• Not really

• The Winchester Mystery house is here

• Haha you actually made me google and I've found this:

www.iamsterdam.com/.../haunted-amsterdam

Though, honestly, I never got any "creepy vibes" any of the times I crossed dam square or Nieuwmarktplein :P

I've always found that ghosts are more active in the out of the way corners.
      I think its that the souls of the dead prefer to remain at rest as best they can

• There are a lot of them where I went to school in Iowa.
    But not much here where I live now.

• I live not too far from where the Jersey Devil was supposedly born.

• Bigfoot (I live in the NW)

• No lol

• The Apeman call Bigfoot. He's running loose.

• Nope

• Yeah dude and believe it or not it's based on a true story! There are 3173 victims to shootings in Chicgio not to mention three more months to go for me to live down successfully without being shot and then only just to repeat it for another following year 😩

What Guys Said 25

• Well, the nearby bunkers of Ft. MacArthur and White's Point. Spent many an evening there long before they were open to the public. Had a blast. Nothing spooky ever happened (though we had to dodge the police on occasion). Rumors abounded about that place.

About an hour and a half north in Ventura is the Scary Dairy, which was in fact a dairy and slaughter house for Camarillo State Hospital. I visited there recently. Nothing scary about it to me, and on fact an RC club was flying some models nearby. However, because it was a slaughter house to a mental institute, among local teens you can guess that imaginations ran riot! All I found was a building covered with graffiti. Made an interesting photo study though.

Scary Dairy
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/scary-dairy

Ft. MacArthur
    http://www.ftmac.org/

• he was a local and international legend but he is dead now

i knew former world heavyweight boxing champ joe frazier.

• Not around here. But I knew of many in western maine after living there for 16 years. The better ones have ended up in pop culture thanks to being retold and expanded on by Stephen King.

• The one nearest to where I am sitting is a haunted house. It looks like a sinister haunted house, too, and is perched on the side of a high hill:

http://blok.ca/the-mystery-of-miss-mary-mccormick/

• Not that I know of, p. My state just has the jersey devil. Although, we have a fort from the revolutionary war and I thought it was sleepy hollow (they have similar names), so I thought the headless horseman was from my area and scared the shit outta me

• Sure, one of the largest cities in Belgium, Antwerpen, has a name that sounds like "hand throwing" in Dutch.
    There are 101 legends about it, but most importantly: the local bakeries made some delicious food based on this legend: "Antwerp Hands" are nice cookies :D
    tabulacrea.com/.../antwerpse-handjes.jpg

• In San Bernardino, there was a 2002 Winter Olympics downhill skier from here, that won medals. There is a large banner downtown with his name and picture on it.🎖

The baseball player Manny Ramirez, played in the minor leagues here for the San Bernardino 66ers, when he was suspended from the MLB. ⚾

The actor Cuba Gooding Jr. is also from this area too. 🎬

• Define "local." About 8-12 hours up North almost near the Oregon border, we are home to Bigfoot. My grandfather's older brother owns a lot of land in the area, and is an avid outdoorsmen since it is open wilderness up there. Apparently it is home to the most sightings in the nation.

• There is a legend about buried Golden Celtic Carriage (four-wheeled horse-drawn cart dating from more than 2000 years ago) - allegedly, it's deep under ground, somewhere below the city center.

• We have Mixed buddhist always come back from Thailand. Then they are awesome, Woman would believe anything what they say. They are white dragon's student so there is dragon in his body.
    Women would eat their sperm fuck with them for...
    awesome anyway.

• Local? Nah. But every couple of years I get to see one of the old capoeira masters who created the group that I joined. He is a legend to me

• There are some but I forgot. One of those legends is if you look through your windows at night you will see a "bloodcurdling beast" staring at you.

• Yhe one I told you about last time in Centralia pa

• Funny that. The Dudley rd in my town is famous for its brothels.

• Well one legend (it was an event) inspired the movie The Exorcism.

• A old lady stole a gnome around her a couple of years ago I guess.

• Can't say that I do.

• Hell yes
    I know a lot of them
    They are all bs though I imagine

• Nope.

• Clowns. Don't ask, I don't have a fuckin clue. It's just... clowns.

• Yeah Bigfoot

• Just the one in my pants.

• I live not too far from the site of the Pulse nightclub massacre.

• There is a story here in Petersburg that some guys robbed a train of millions of dollars of gold in silver bullion headed to Richmond during the civil war. They hid it somewhere in motoaca