Were you popular in college?

I am currently enrolled in college and I don't feel popular. I want to be popular hopefully by the time I graduate. What do you suggest? Where you popular in college? Are you currently in college? How was the experience?

Most Helpful Guy

• In college, we really didn't think about popularity. That's something women obsess over, not us, and I went to a college that was a sausage fest (5 guys to every girl). Our biggest concern was just getting through our classes and hoping to have a good enough GPA to go to grad school.

Most Helpful Girl

• I never went to college but I did go to Uni. I really enjoyed the experience but you have to be outgoing from the get go and really make an effort to join in. Find common ground with people to help break the ice. Being popular is not important but enjoying the experience is. Once I found my way around I started to see regular faces and would see them in the dining hall and just say hello and things like that. Eventually you build up a group of friends which forms part of your support network outside of F&F. I hope you start to enjoy the experience more and get what you want out of it.

For the record, college and university are the same thing in America

With a British accent it is, but I don't know about that. I know some New Yorkers that prove otherwise 😑. And nothing in the world could make a thick Appalachian or Deep South accent sound sexy 😂

@Other_Tommy_Wiseau Good points. I hate the South African accent. I have heard various American accents and find them somewhat alluring, even Southern accents but I take your point. I am English and speak the Queen's English as it were and some American's go crazy over it. Anyway, thank you for your help with this question. Have a good evening 👋

What Guys Said 14

• Yeah I'm in college, to be honest the popularity thing in college is really not of relevance and doesn't even matter to the point it's not talked about. That's more of a high school.

• There was over 60,000 people at uni. Popularity is meaningless

• I'm at uni now. I feel like I'm pretty liked around my res hall. I'm that cool older guy who was military and has stories. The boyos are chill to me here.

I remember when you made the thread on misc before college started saying you felt too old or some crap lol

I stick with my military boyos as well

• Sounds like someone is missing the high school cliques TBH. No point of being popular in college / university. I wasn't, I just had a high profile job (computer lab assistant). People came up to me and start talking at times... it was odd.

I didn't have any cliques in high school. Middle school and High school I got treated like garbage. I was hoping college I could see if people like me and I had lots of friends. You know? Ha! That sounds awesome and weird. Was it on campus or not?

I know how you feel. I was done with high school before I started.

It was on campus.

• People would probably say that.

• Who cares? As for me, I don't think so, although all my friends said I was

• I'm still there and not popular. I'm like a ninja.

• I wasn't popular at university, per se, but I was well known around my particular department (agriculture).

Popularity at university doesn't matter, really. People are there to earn a degree and get a job, not build a following.

• I'm a freshman in college, I don't have like any friends LOL, you're not alone

• I'm too chill to be popular.

But if you mean do I have a lot of friends? Yes.

• Outcast right here😁

• I was only popular at the gym in college lol other than that nobody really knew me.

• lol never went

• Focus on your studies. So many fail in college because they are doing other things.

What Girls Said 8

• You're there for an *education*. That needs to be your first priority or you'll never finish.

I was in hall gov and choir so I met a lot of people that way. I also got along with the people in my department and roomies so like that was enough for me.

• It is hard to be popular in college since no one really cares about that. Since there are so many people going to college it is pretty impossible unless you are some kind of celebrity.

• Yes i was popular in Med school and now I'm becoming popular in Law school too. I made a couple of dozens of friends in a 3 days.

• I was not popular. The school was very very big. I did have lots of friends. It was a lot of fun.
    I got an education out of it most importantly and a career.

Can't seem to put popularity and education together.
    You can be the popular one in the math department or English department becasue you published a book at 18 or won an award or something. Other than that, I am not sure what you mean.

• I was well liked in college mainly because I had a pretty diverse friend group. We all had different majors and were in different sports so we were able to get to know a lot of people in school.

I'd suggest getting to know people that you see on a daily basis.

• Nope, I wasn't popular. I had some good friends, and I was fine with that.

• My college was way too big for anyone to be popular lmao
    Over 31,000 people? okay lol

• I probably won't be, and that's okay :)