Have you ever harmed yourself?

I'm curious how common is it. Also, how old were you, and did you get addicted to it?
~A recovered person.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I have, I was splitting wood, and the hatchet went through the wood and hit my leg. That wasn't a fun day. I didn't even feel it until I looked down.

Most Helpful Girl

• I cut myself from about 15 to 17. I don't think it was really an addiction. I had to recognize the cause and find a positive outlet instead.

What Guys Said 6

• Yes, and I have scars to prove it.

How old were you?

• Yeah I fell in love. 😁😁😁🐍
    Still recovering from that.

• yeah I run into walls, stub my toes, hit my head all the damn time it's annoying

but seriously I tried it but I'm like damn this shit hurts way too much for not accomplishing anything, woulda rather hanged myself but that didn't work out either

• No, never.

• Not on purpose..

• No. Nothing more than slapping my face

What Girls Said 4

• Yes, cutting my wrists in my 20s and 30s. I was never addicted to it, it was a symptom of bipolar depression. Still have the scars.

• No, not physically.

But in another way?

Oh okay. That's rough. You deserve to feel good about your decisions.

Yeah, life is hard, no doubt. You need to take care of yourself, though, too.

• Nope.

• Hell no. Listen to me: slicing into your skin is not going to solve your problems. If anything, it's a really nasty habit that's just going to remind you how f*cked up your life has been when you finally move past all the BS and figure out how to have happy days. Who wants to be in the middle of an awesome experience and look down to see a bunch of cuts all over their wrists?

You like pain? Go to the gym and lift weights. At least that's constructive and healthy instead of just slicing into your skin.

I don't do it anymore. And when I say "self harm" I do not just mean cutting. There are MANY other forms of self-injury. Cutting is something I don't do, but hitting/bruising might be done rarely.

I understand that.

Sorry to be blunt. I'm saying it because I care.