The let's be friends with an ex?

So I know some people say they can be friends with their ex and others can not. In my case I still very much love mine and he had made contact quite a few times plus we have had sex a few times until the end of August when he gave me the excuse of not being fair to either of us and let us just be freinds without anything else. Well I didn't text him for awhile and here he goes texting me asking if im not talking to him. What is this lets be friends deal with an ex? Is it like a doorway being left open or a safety net in case nothing works for them or is it really sincere?

What Guys Said 2

• No total impossibility and I've never understood why people even ask or agree to that. Never ask or agree to that

• An ex is an ex for reason and the reason he gave for no longer wanting to have sex is an excuse because you've given him sexactly what he wanted without any strings attached. Yes you are a safety net until he meets someone else because after all the two of you broke up for a reason.

What Girls Said 1

• I've tried before, but it eventually fades over time.