Girls, guys, what is an appropriate way, in your country, to greet people when meeting them for the first time?

Are there any specific gestures you should do or avoid? For example, is there a culture of shaking hands? Nodding? Bending forward?
What would be the best thing for me to say (if you say it in your language, please translate in Engish as well)?
The opposite could also be interesting information: things to avoid saying or doing...
In Belgium, just be nice and shake hands, that's all that's required :D

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh, just smile and say "Hola" or something, between Spanish girls its not common to greet each other with kissing them on the cheek ( between girls) as for Arabs, thats really common. However, most of the times its just a simple hi with a smile.

And since I'm currently living in Spain I'm gonna tell u something that is considered disrespectful. Its when u stretch in public, like if u are tired and u wanna stretch out yr arms, then that's soooo disrespectful. I have no idea why tho XD

Haha I'll keep that in mind.
      I think they consider it disrespectful because it looks as if you're tired of being around them, like they're annoying you :o

Holaaa, gracias 😄 😂

De nada :D

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 17

• Here in my part of Canada, a handshake is an acceptable and generally expected greeting when meeting people for the first time, especially in professional/work settings. In a professional setting, most people say something like "Hello" or "Nice to meet you" while introducing themselves and giving a handshake. An example of where this would happen is when you're at a job interview or if you're meeting clients.

In casual settings, like meeting people at a party or meeting new classmates, most people still shake hands but they just say "Hey" or "Hi" or something more informal. A simple wave is acceptable as well.

I recognize that, no major differences between Canada and Belgium... we wouldn't shock each other when meeting :D

I think this kind of greeting is common in the western world.

Myth confirmed :D

• meeting people? :O
    i.kinja-img.com/.../bnjr9ky3c24fanz3i1ki.gif

and then it's like
    2.bp.blogspot.com/.../donna+youre+weird.gif

haha, nah, it's same as in Belgium over here in the Netherlands :D

Hahaha I started to become worried for the day I may meet you... but if you find me weird and like it or not, just tell me :D
      I can take anything from friendly people!

Lol I was just kidding with those images :D but dont worry, you're not weird (as far as I know ;) )

Haha you neither Diana :D
      I wouldn't even hesitate, if you were around, to go have a glass and have a good chat.
      We're all weird in some way, but I'm convinced neither of us would harm a fly :D

• Saying Namaste/Any other appropriate greeting in regional language and folding hands like this-
    media.giphy.com/media/3orif3mBS6Xaipfec8/giphy.gif

• In the US its generally introduce yourself with a firm but friendly handshake, standing upright and making eye contact with a smile

I love that Sarah... you'd automatically get a smile back :D
      Basically it's the same here in Belgium. If we're closer maybe a kiss on the cheek, but the smile is the most important thing: it makes you feel welcome and makes you relax.

Yeah that's how in 50 years or so I want to die... hugging ourselves to death :D

lol there are worse ways

• It's the same here. A smile or a nod and a handshake is usually what is done. If it's less formal maybe a smile and a nod/wave...

• among friends.. just heyy.. or hello.. with elders and more respected people ''As-Salaam-Alaikum," the Arabic greeting meaning "Peace be unto you'''

• Nods/shaking hands/smiles are all normal. Normal hugs or "bro" hugs too. (Clasp one hand each use the other arm to pat on the back) or kisses on the cheek are also used.

Thanks for learning me what a "bro hug" is hahaha... I knew the gesture but not the name :D
      *bro hugs you*

Lol I did actually. Flipped one of my brothers over my shoulder. I was 4, he was 12.

You see... if you're not strong you have to be smart. In this case know your techniques :D

• Simple handshake pretty much.

Sure, simple and nice and very common all over the world :D

• we greet people by kissing them on both cheeks

• Shaking hands and a smile.

You could come straight to Belgium :D
      What's nicer than be welcomed with a smile :D

• In somalia, you say assalaama 3alaykum and smile. If it's an elder of the same gender then you hold their hand and fake kiss it.

That's quite a difference to Belgium haha... if I'd hand kiss a guy they'd think I was gay and trying to flirt with them :-(
      And if I'd kiss a girls' hand she'd better be a very close friend or my girl otherwise she may hit me with her handbag!

It's not gay in somali culture, guys hold hands when walking too it's just human.

Yeah, cultural differences hava their charms :D
      That's what makes these questions so interesting!

• Depnd if it's in a formal ways or just meeting new friends. In a formal way we would say good morning / afternoon, nice to meet you I'm (say the name) and shake hands. If it's informal then we'll kiss the cheek and say hell, nice to meet you I'm...

Haha I see... not too different from Belgium :D

Sure and in the USA, Canada and even Argentina as well :D
      I can go anywhere now with confidence! Enchanté Alice!

that's cool
      Enchanté Hans222 :)

• I'm sure a handshake is still acceptable in Canada.

• Shake of hands. Big smile. 'Hello. How do you do?'😊

• bowing and reciting a few phrases

The bowing I would have expected, the phrases not... I've learned something today :D

初めまして
      よろしくお願い致します

I had to dive into google translate Coco :D
      Nice to meet you too!

• A handshake and greet them with a good morning/ afternoon/evening or night

Yeah, that's the universal way that we can use from Alaska to South Africa :D

I see! That's an interesting cultural difference :D
      Be careful to hug in Belgium and I'll be careful to kiss in Trinidad and Tobago :D

Lol yes

• a formal way of greeting people would be with a handshake, like in a professional environment two lawyers would do that
    another way would be just kind of nodding and saying a polite "hello" or "hello, how do you do?"
    but with family, friends and casual people we meet the usual greeting is a "hello" followed by a kiss on the cheek (actually just touching the cheeks and making a kissing sound lol) and and an introduction afterwards if it's for the fist time
    this is in argentina

Interesting, since this comes really close to Belgium though we're some 10,000 km apart :D

haha i don't wanna think about my dad that way 😂 men always greet women with a kiss on the cheek but not so much with other guys
      they usually nod at each other, don't want to lose their "macho" rep

Haha I see... so many machos there? :D

What Guys Said 6

• In Florida, USA, men typically greet other men by attempting to slap their testicles. Women are typically greeted with a tepid grunt or whistle depending on their level of beauty.

Oh my goodness, I would need to adapt than... I'm not a good whistler :o

Yeah, whistling can make or break ya here!

• Depends usually shake hands but in a less formal environment maybe not even a handshake. In Ireland it is the small talk that is important, the best small talkers will have you feeling comfortable very quickly. I think the Irish ethos is that every new person you meet could be a future friend.

• Barely acknowledge them. Look down at phone. Text them later on. "How's it going." "Not much." "OK, good meeting you." "Cool."
    America.

Oh dear... I haven't been in the States that often but as a tourist generally I was feeling welcome everywhere :D
      To Belgian standards I had the feeling that Americans were very open... telling us things we would tell only to family members or very close friends.

@Hans22 where in America did you go?

Florida for a week, and while working for an airline in the late ninetees San Francisco for a few hours...

• Hi, happy to know you! :)

• here where i live in Belgium guys and girls kiss girls on the cheek and some Walloons also kiss guys on the cheek as well but only if they are good friends.

I totally recognize that of course... for work I often come in Wallonia and indeed when I see the guys kiss it's a little weird. But you get used to it... and I just say hello and shake hands :D

yeah handshakes is always ok.

• In a business setting, you shake hands. It's pretty common to exchange business cards still, but it's done pretty casually, not like some countries where that elements is very formal.

If being introduced to other adult men, hand shaking is not uncommon, but not universal. It's less common to shake women's hands in social settings, more often people say nice to meet you or something like that with a head nod.

From which country are you?

Canada.

Big city, English Canada. French Canada and small towns would be different I think.