Should college football players get paid? Why or why not?

Should college football players get paid? Why or why not??

• Definitely
    29% (6)21% (6)24% (12)Vote
  • Nope
    71% (15)79% (23)76% (38)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
7|20

Most Helpful Guy

• Should a college band member get paid? Should a college soccer athlete get paid? These are professionals. Not all of them are good enough to go to the professional level. If they got paid in college, they'd probably not care as much about their studies. There's already an issue with college players leaving college early because they want that fame and fortune early. So, nope. Also the college level helps them deal with maturity and honing their skills and dealing with the pressure of being a high profile player. Money just adds to the mix and then you get some fucked up scenarios from there.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They could give them benefits. It really sucks that colleges and universities are raking in money that the athletes are making for the school yet it's the athletes that could be going to bed hungry. For every college student that pays tuition, 60% of the money goes to the athletic department. Colleges should be putting more of that money to better use like the students studies.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 19

• NO! That law suit is BS!!
    A lot of people get scholarships for sports, and someone is already PAYING them, in a sense, to play!
    if they are good enough to get a contract with a professional team, THAT is when they get paid!!
    Should I get paid for going to college to learn biology? Of course not!! So why should athletes get paid, getting scholarships, in college?

2|0
    0|0
  • They do get paid - with scholarships.

1|1
    0|0
  • No, they aren't professional, and are already on scholarship. However, if they want to profit off their name, or sell their own belongings, then I have no problem with that.

1|2
    0|0
  • yes, all the more power of capitalism to them. i knew 16 yo old guys that were paid to play football. 50 EUR for winning and 25 EUR for playing. its not much but its something.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. The discrepancy between big name schools and mid majors or even smaller fbs power 5 schools would put so many teams at a disadvantage that it'd just be ludicrous. Schools like Texas, Alabama, Florida, LSU, OSU, Michigan, etc would just shit on everyone with recruits cause they could dole out the most money. If you made it even across the boards, you run into a secondary problem because most schools don't profit off the programs to begin with. You'd just be bankrupting teams faster. Also, because football and basketball are the most profitable, it would probably take away from other sports if you don't pay them. Or if you do, they would become unsustainable since no program outside those 2 aforementioned programs generate revenue. And, again, they only generate off of tv deals

0|0
    0|0
  • No because it's against NCAA policies.

Plus college players already have a scholarship that's more than enough.

Just look up the Miami Gators controvery and you will see why they don't pay college players.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. But if the Collage want's to give them some benefits , I have no objection to that.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's already bad enough that the expense for them to play games is added to tuition... Many athletic programs operate at a loss, even big popular ones. The school could invest in high tech labs to educate students with actual job skills or they could build a new stadium... The money would be better spent on education but generally students foot the bill so a couple of kids can try to impress some recruiters.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. As a college football player myself, tuition being paid is enough. Plus schools don't have the money for that. It also would take away from the passion that college players have when we play.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most of them already get a college scholarship, that's more than enough.

1|0
    0|0
  • at most they should get a full ride scholarship not get paid to go to school.

0|1
    0|0
  • Fuck no
    Why should they get paid to devote their time to a GAME when we all have to study but actually work hard jobs

0|0
    0|0
  • Of corse the NCAA treats athletes like indentured servants they sell tickets advertisements use names in video games sell propaganda sell jerseys and gear and the players never recieve a penny for it but as soon as they sell an autograph their breaking the rules and they say yeah you can get an education but only on our terms if not were taking your scholarship

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea, only if they give up that full scholarship

0|0
    0|0
  • Only question really is why not? Financial Aid may not be enough sometimes. Although there are scholarships provided as a benefit to this, but even that's not going to always cover at least a year or two's entire worth of tuition.

1|0
    0|0
  • They already are with free college. That's more money than most college students make with their jobs.

1|1
    0|0
  • only if their cheerleaders do too

0|0
    0|0
  • They aren't professional yet. They got to earn it.

1|0
    0|0

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• No. If they're getting a free education that IS their paycheck.

1|0
    0|0
  • No way.
    Might as well just personally deliver my tuition to their hands. Lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe college football players should get paid. The first reason is because they already get a full ride scholarship to attend school. Also, college is temporary. College is basically the time athletes use to get noticed.

1|0
    0|0
  • As if they don't already get enough?

0|1
    0|0
  • Not thrilled about the idea, but at least it would be more honest than pretending they're students.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe couple thousands dollars a season

1|0
    1|1