What does meta mean?

I finally learned what all this alpha and beta nonsense is that people keep talking about but now I'm seeing "meta" everywhere. What does this mean?

Most Helpful Guy

• A metamale (or supermale) is a low viability Drosophila fruit fly with a male phenotype in which the ratio of X chromosomes to sets of autosomes (A) is less than 0.5. For example: a fly with one X chromosome and two sets of autosomes is a normal male, a fly with one X chromosome and three sets of autosomes is a metamale.
    American geneticist Calvin Bridges, who discovered the genic balance sex-determination system in Drosophila in 1921, used the terms "superfemale" and "supermale". German-American geneticist Curt Stern proposed the alternate terms "metafemale" and "metamale" in 1959.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamale
    xDD

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 8

• I think Shawn58 is the best explanation - In "The Flash" the meta humans have some form of enhanced power so "Beyond" would be perfectly logical.

• "meta is a prefix used in English to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept, used to complete or add to the latter."

it means 'about its own category' for example pictures have data, metadata in pictures on your computer, cellhpone , etc. have metadata, in this case it means data about data.

• And i thought there's metadata which means data about data. Damn you English and the people making rubbish abbreviations

• It's a new word for marginally intelligent people to use and feel ultra intelligent, While putting down things they don't like at the same time.

• I'm think post something like passed or different from, like when people say metahumans usually means not human anymore mutated human, posthuman passed human

• In a video game sense it means "normal" in a way. Non-meta would be not normal.

• Only thing I can think of is metadata

• in gaming meta is just a term for what currently works out favorably more often

What Girls Said 0