Where this clown phobia has its roots?

Never understood people who are afraid of clowns. I find this phobia absolutely irrational.

Why the fear?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's largely to do with painted faces being 'uncanny', which is talked about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEikGKDVsCc

Things like painted on smiles and masks are unsettling because they distort our ability to judge what the person underneath might be thinking or feeling; their intentions.
    Things out of context can also seem very creepy; for example, a clown at a circus on the night of a performance is much less scary than one standing in your back garden at night

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• i tink its bc u can't see their face
    and the shoes! omg!

• Clowns look creepy with painted on faces, big noses... Ugh.

• Stephen King's IT?

• It has to do with clowns having painted on expressions which makes it harder to read their body language to determine if they are a threat.

• John Wayne Gacy.

• Probably scary movies either way people are weird as fuck being scared of clowns theirs more things to be afraid of. One of it being is the presidential debate.

What Guys Said 10

• any phobia is irrational by definition

why? perhaps because you can't see faces. the exaggerated facial features and expressions. there is a literary and real world history of the "evil clown" archetype

but again the phobia like all phobias is irrational.

• i don't understand it either honestly.

• Childhood trauma xD

• Never liked Clowns.

Anyways its more of the fact I've heard on news they are running at people or even have machetes. Now that would likely scare anyone.

Honestly some of these morons dressed as clowns are gonna start getting shot then suddenly it won't be so "funny" anymore for them to "prank" people.

And ill say they had it coming.

• lol all phobias are irational. a fear or phobia is created due to conditioning. for example if you are bitten by a dog you can get a phobia of all dogs. the same with clowns. the best cure is exposure. it can reverse the processes.

• Same place most phobias stem from.

• Yeah.. they are annoying tho.

• It's weird.

• I'm not afraid of clowns but they do make me sad and sometimes tearful

• i dont like evil clowns, i have no problem with actual clowns. i HATE oxymorons, they creep me out

heavy.com/.../

they're not even clowny looking. they're essentiall monster looking. look at the one from kentucky