Do you think that video games are a waste of time?

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean people do plenty of shit that's a waste of time so it's not more so then that shit but I do think violent video games are not only an incredible waste of time but also destroy one's psyche.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends.
    Some are. Some aren't.
    I quite enjoy city building games. In it I learn about town planning , economics , social structures and taxation.
    i.i.cbsi.com/.../mountain_high.png
    I quite enjoy space games.. In it I learn about physics , aerodynamics , orbital mechanics and aeroengineering.
    i.ytimg.com/vi/Z67vpxlrt5A/maxresdefault.jpg
    I quite enjoy historical simulations. In it I learn about historical politics , the rise and fall of nations , what makes the world what it is today.
    www.thesixthaxis.com/.../WarThunder-G2.jpg

When it comes to video games , you take away what you want from it.

Good point. I always do this to rationalize whenever I play video games.

@ThisDudeHere
      LOL if you build cities like Riga , as soon as the density start racking up. INSTANT gridlock. Well not even a grid , it's more like a radiation pattern , a sort of web , I looked at the map of Riga once , ... it looks as if the entire city centers somewhere round... Vanšu Bridge for some strange reason.

That's because it's the biggest bridge that goes right by the Medieval and oldest part of town. The seat of government is in that Yellow castle next to the bridge.

At least I think so.

What Girls Said 11

• Some are, some aren't. It depends on the game honestly. I find that games like Final Fantasy or the "Tales of" series like Symphonia, Xillia, and Graces f are good for reading skills, creating story lines, character development, math, science, and learning new words. Or Assassin's Creed is good for historical purposes and religious research. But other games not so much. Like WoW or Call of Duty or Halo, don't really see a reason to play them except to get a story and to numb your brain for a bit. People usually don't play those games for the story mode, but for shooting other players.

• They certainly can be. But overall, I think they're fun :)

• Yeah a little but they're still fun sometimes.

• I like video games. I wanna save up for a ps4 eventually.

• I'm a game developer myself so my answer is obviously no. But an addiction is always bad.

• Obviously but everyone needs a little downtime.

• I like to think of video games as not a waste of time but something to do that's fun that can help time pass faster xD

• For people who are addicted to it, yes.

• I don't think so, as long as you don't get addicted and know how to stop. I think you can gain benefits from gaming. :)

• Obviously they are a waste of time - the same as any other leisure activity. Nothing's wrong with having some recreation, though.

• No more a waste of time than most other forms of entertainment...

What Guys Said 21

• If you play them non-stop day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year and let other important things pass by your life then they can be a big waste of time because you entirely focused all or most of your time, energy and effort onto them and let all of the other important moments in your life slip by unnoticed.

Use proper Time Management and have a Balance. Video Games should not be the one and only most important thing in your life. It can provide you fun on days when it's rainy or when there's a blizzard and you can't really do anything outside.

Any other time, play them only after you've completed all of your more important matters first such as homework assignments, studying for exams, chores around the house and other responsibilities that need your attention.

These days I think it's best to play something that's quick and fun on either Smartphones or Tablets. Great for waiting for transportation or while on the train or bus.

But I would always avoid anything MMO related since those are really time consuming games that really do not have a clear end and you just keep playing them over and over and over again.

• Are you joking?

Yes, of course, but they're fucking awesome and everybody needs a good waste of time.

• Not at all. It's as good of a hobby as reading books, listening to music, watching movies/shows, cooking... and it's a pretty good hobby, as it helps keep the mind strong (that's why it's recommended for elders to play certain type of games to keep the mind active).

Obviously it's a time waster if it's your #1 priority, but if it's just during free time, then it's more than good.

• There's a time and place for it. Spending 12hrs a day on it (without getting paid to do that) is a waste.

• omg yes. most are, and should just be made into movies or a tv series, im tired of video games especially with the format "console" war crap.

• Nope! It's like watching a 30 hour movie. =D

• No greater of a waste of time than watching TV, a movie, or entertaining yourself any other way... I like that they're at least interactive and they can test your problem-solving, hand/eye coordination, awareness and reaction time.

I've met a lot of cool people and have had great times playing with people from all over the world on XBL. I only think video games are a waste of time if they control your life and inhibit you from being a functional member of society.

• Yeah absolutely. It's time you can't really get back, but for many people, video games are fun

• Better kids play video games and actually perhaps learn a few things - working in teams (or solo), story telling, strategy, planning and etc instead of smoking and drinking in greater frequencies like the video game-less generations of earlier times.

• A waste of time? No. A way to pass the time yeah. Just like anything. Netflix, fishing, watching youtube. These are all hobbies. Gaming is fun I have a bunch I don't game nearly as much as I used to but it can be fun!

• If you gained enjoyment from playing it then it wasn't a waste of time.

• I just have the idea when can not pass a situation on the batman akham lol.
    My goal is happening to waste time.

• OH yeah you're right, it waste a lot of my precious time, that's why I don't want to play games anymore, maybe once a while.

• They are OK to a certain extent, but I know too many people who take it way too far.

• No. It's entertainment. If you think video games are a waste of time then so is every other form of game, movie, art, or other entertainment.

• No, but like in any hobby you can overspend time on it.

• Yes I

... yes I had a Nintendo ds but I was tired of getting beat all the time by these crazy kids. So I broke the damn thing never played video games since.

• Absolutely not, they're for entertainment.

• Video games and porn are two best thing in this world

• only some are a waste. POKEMON hunters? really?

• Not at all. If something is fun, relieves stress, and it is something you can share with your friends and family, it definitely isn't a waste of time.