In your opinion what's the worst accent?

Though I'm hispanic and Spanish was my first language (before learning English at the age of 4), for me there is nothing worst than getting a call from an American company about a loan I don't even have with them and the guy is clearly from India.

Even I had to tell the guy to repeat what he was saying on two occasions because I couldn't understand him. So yes, in my opinion Indians trying to speak English have one of the worst accents.

2mo It was a billing collection company I had no idea about. I've heard of cute accents but that accent is just bad.

Most Helpful Guy

• My parents are from Austria and speak like Arnold Schwarzenegger, so I've been around people's reactions to their accent all my life. For me, I can cope with many foreign accents with a high level of tolerance.

The exception is with anyone who's job involves public speaking and their English is an absolute disaster. I don't mind an accent, but you shouldn't be teaching a college class in an English-speaking country, for example, if you don't have a certain level of facility with English.

There are some regional and ethnic accents from native speakers that really drive me crazy, though. I won't say which ones because I don't want to make anyone feel bad. But I have to constantly fight to hear the person behind the accent and not allow my prejudices to take over.

That should be "whose English" of course. Listen to me talk about poor English!

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok I used to thing English accents where hot. I have cousins from England. I had to spend Christmas with them. At first I was like your accents are really cute.

Then 2 days later I bearly understood what they were saying. I understood some things but their accent was too deep. I nodded to most things they said and when they asked questions I would try dodge them.

It changed my perspective of the English accent.

What Guys Said 19

• Scottish. Sounds like they're trying to yell me into submission.

• for me it's a very thick new england accent. i like the new england accent to an extent, my roomie from college was from boston, but the very thick accent just sounds awful to me

• Indian and Chinese are pretty damn bad.
    The Chinese accent especially drives my head in.
    It's like HOLY SHIT listen to this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWXyFe8_oE0
    I wouldn't have understood a single word if not for the subtitles.

• New York, New Jersey, Boston, Philly accent. It's fucking annoying as all get out

• A really bad British or Australian accent can be pretty bad. Or even a bad Irish accent...

• The Indian one, or Northern English , both are torture to the ears.

• Any accent that is heavy sounds unnatractive.

• Cockney accents are awful. Next I'd have to say probably Australian men. I LOVE Aussie girls, but cannot stand the guys.

• Essex, Brummie, Sarf Lahdahn.

The accent that some Essex people speak, mostly celebrity is from America.

• American

• saxon... it makes my ears bleed

• Vietnamese holy cringe..

• English, French, or Nigerian.

• The Boston accent is absolutely terrible

• I don't like the British accent.

• yes indian is one of the worst funniest, also chinese or japanese can be bad

• American

• The Indian and I'm Indian, though mine's polished

• Lol. You are just pure bullshit. Why do American companies outsource if Indians are so bad at English?

- Few Americans or even me would be happy about working at call centers for a measly salary, when there are other options available.
      - Secondly, English still gets you paid at call centers from foreign countries. So yes, even if they have a bad accent, as long as English is spoken that's all that matters.

Well may be not everyone's accent is that bad.
      And may be the British people think the same way about American English.

Cos labour is cheap.

What Girls Said 8

• The accent from Texas. I just cannot deal. I HATE the sound of it, drives me nuts.

As for the one thats hardest to understand is probably the Glaswegian (type of Scottish) accent. I was trying to set up my bank account through costumer service on the phone and dear lord, I was about to give up half way through cause I only understood like 10% of everything he said LOL, I put it on loudspeaker so my whole family could listen and figure out what he said, barely any of us could. 😂 They should NEVER have a customer service call centre in Glasgow, oh my lord, just no.😂 😂

• I love my accent. Although some people may confuse it with Indian, Turkish, British etc. -_-
    Why they do that? Well, because it is not a language that is known around the world. ('-' )

If I see nothing wrong with my accent, then I see nothing wrong with anyone else's accent. We are all special and unique. 😊

• I have yet to hear an accent that I don't like. Some sound more beautiful to me than others (Japanese, British, French are beautiful <3 ) but none are bad to me.

• Scottish. Can't fucking understand a word they say lmfao
    I don't like French either.

• German accents, to me they sounds aggressive when they talk but compared to Spanish its calm and swift. i have nothing against the language i am currently studying german and i think its a wonderful country

• My native is French I speak Portuguese, Spanish, latin, Japanese, chinese, jamaca
    I learned all them before English it was hard to learn English I have so many accents people barely know what I'm saying so instead I have a french translater walking along side me just in case.

• Vietnamese. It is one of the most stilted sounding accents on the planet.

• Spanish and Indian accents.