Have you ever been fired or laid off from a job before?

• Been fired
  • Been laid off
  • Been fired and laid off
  • Never been fired or laid off
  • Never had a job

Most Helpful Girl

• Fired from my first full time job. They couldn't afford to keep me in that position and it was cheaper to just fire me and try to prevent me from getting unemployment. They fucked up though and I still got unemployment. Fuckers.

Most Helpful Guy

• fired once, laid off twice. i was fired from my first job because i was 18 and 19 and really didn't give a shit. other two were a seasonal job and a mom n pop job that went out of business.

How long did it take to find a new one after getting laid off and fired?

fired? my mom and her friend started a business so i went to work for them for like 4 years. otherwise it would have take forever probably. once people see that you've been fired for ANY reason, 80% throw out your resume unless its labor work in my opinion. laid off from the first one i was out for like almost a year. but then again i was really picky. second time i went on unemployment for like 3 months then i found a job. been there one month so far =)

What Girls Said 19

• Laid off , or fired - when they find a person who's in their family to take my place...
    Nepotism.
    So common in Croatia.

How long did it take to find a new one after?

@NatashaJ Firts I'd have to earn money to be able to do that. See the problem?

Yeah Ik in Canada if your under 18 99% of the time they wouldn't give you a chance. Unless somehow you pull strings and got a job at that young age.

• Been laid off. The cafe I first started working at was falling into bankrupcy. I got a job in the next 5 months (after that). The owner was my reference and he put in a good word for me

• Fortunately no, but I have sympathy for people who get laid off. Not so much fired , coz in most cases they get a formal warning before the company takes further action to fire them. People are usually fired due to their own actions at the workplace.

• Fired, because I was taking a vacation. Focusing on school right and will get a job as a certified nursing assistant once I become certified. It certainly isn't a glamorous job but I am looking at it as a step stone towards becoming an RN.

• I was seasonal help, so... laid off, I guess. 😛

• I've been laid off before. It wasn't a big deal because I was in school (high school)

• Never, I'm still still working at my first job and I'm about to get a second job due to my good reputation and the fact that I look like the other girls who work there.

• Laid off

• Laid off 😢

• nah never worked :P

• Neither fortunately

• No never had a job

• Nope

• I have been both & my last job I'm not sure if I quit or got fired before I quit.

How hard was it to find another job afterwards?

My last job came to me. Actually within 2-3 days of quitting I had 3 job offers.

• laid off :(
    middle of recession
    found new job in 3 months

• Neither

• Nope

• Been fired once. I was gonna quit either way.

• Fired.
    Even though I'm highly intelligent, I'm not perfect.

haha two days. I work fast.

What Guys Said 9

• Yes, as recently as this year. The place I was working at stopped renewing contractors (me) and got rid of a lot of other permanent staff. Altogether 50 were let go. For the permanent staff, they were called upstairs to HR and then escorted directly off the premises. I at least was able to go around and say good bye. It was awful.

To answer your second question, took me two months to find something else. For some of my former coworkers, a lot longer.

• Been laid off twice.

• Wow - I just realised I never have - Not bad after 31 years, I have left all the jobs I had voluntarily

Did you ever leave a job without having another one line up?

Again I just realised how lucky I have been - I never had to do that.

• The severance pay-out was very good , I liked it.

• Yes, I've been fired and my ex-boss was a turd. I don't give a shit what they say at that old office, I'll enter the technology business without their help.

Not long, but it was a shit job, working at a call center for medical insurance. I finally quit.

It then took me eight months to get another job. I'm trying for better ones, which is why I'm working on a master's degree.

• Once.

• Yes both.

• I've been fired before lol.

• Never have actually.. its always been me who has quit