Are humans animals?

Some on this site refuse to believe so...

• Yeah man I know science
  • Nope sorry man was crafted by the almighty Chtulu
  • How many humans per minute
  • It depends on the human
  • Chocolate? CHOCOLATE?
  • Giraffe
  • Let's go to space

Most Helpful Girl

• Scientifically, we're part of the animal kingdom, so yes. But from a strictly scientific standpoint, some would argue (though it's debated) that humans can be considered apes.

Still, we make the distinction between human and ape and human and animal in colloquial conversation for a reason.

We're not apes lol we're hominids. But we're primates

Okay, so "primate" is a much broader classification. Hominids are a family within the primate order. And yes, Homo sapiens (humans) fall within that order, but it includes chimps, gorillas etc

Do you know what another term for hominid is? Ape. Now some might argue that because that's not technically a taxonomic term so we don't have to apply it to humans.. others argue that this term should be defined monophyletically, regardless.

Like I said, there's a debate.

Most Helpful Guy

• Technically yes, but we also have the ability to reason... We as humans, we can do better... we can BE better... and based off the state of our existence right now that you can see everywhere in the news and everything, we NEED to be better.

We are human... but that doesn't mean that we get a free pass on our mistakes, or that we ought to say that it's in our "nature" or it's our animalistic impulses that cause us to behave a certain way or do certain things. We ought to hold ourselves to a higher standard... and that is just my opinion.

People like to say, "Ohh, but we're only human right?" when they screw up or do something wrong, to try to justify their actions to themselves and others... Well yes, you're "human" but that doesn't mean you should do what you just did, or that it's ok. Be cognisant... mistakes and wrong-doings can be certainly be avoided, because humans have the ability to think and reason and know right from wrong.

Other animals can reason, too. We aren't that different from other animals

Dolphins are much the same, just without the opposable thumb. Maybe not AS smart but pretty damn smart

Yes... they just don't really have the kind of habitat or physical traits to really facilitate any sort of notable advancement, or to act out in certain ways.

What Girls Said 9

• Ya we animals but we so much further down the evolutionary timeline that I don't think we are anymore.

• We are definitely animals, primates at that. :D

Lol now here's the real challenge: go back to the days of debate and argue the point that humans aren't animals

Growing up, there were always stories about dogs learned how to form sentences, ape studies, dolphin studies. I guess it was easier back then to rationalize the apathy given towards other sentient being when you didn't actually know it.

• Yepppers. I do believe so.

• People don't refer to humans when they use the word "animals". So I guess we aren't in that sense.

But biologically, yes. We're part of the animal kingdom.

• Duh. 😆

• Humans are not plants, we are animals, no doubt about that.

I severely disagree, we are all plants

Yup, you're a shape-shifting alien, pretending to be a rabbit, spying on people from a pet's perspective :P

People just accept me in their society and they don't even realize, the fools!

• mammals specifically

• Mmmm... Some of us act like animals. So...

• Clearly.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes we are members of the animal kingdom.

We do have a tendency to separate humans and animals as if we are something different though.

• All of them, you included.
    (I'm a bit more special, of course :D )

• of course we are. i mean, so many of us behave like monkeys its kind of hard to deny that we are animals that way.

• chocolate? CHOCOLATE?

• A part of them, yes

• Scientifically yep we are :P

• 0|0
  • Yes; I'm not retarded

• I am a robot.

• Biologically yes... but mentality and intelligence.. yes!

• Yes, I'm sure we are.

• it depends on the human duhh lol

• yes we are all animals beneath the skin