Have you ever repaired your computer (or other stuff) after thinking that they were done for?

My little brother recently caused my laptop to short circuit. My dad and I thought that that was it. But thankfully taking it appart and putting it back together saved it somehow.

• Yes, I have repaired stuff before
  • No I have not/ left it to someone else
  • I tend to buy new stuff if the old stuff is broken

Most Helpful Girl

• -I haven't actually repaired my gadgets, just a little bit of troubleshooting if they don't work normally. Like taking out battery and stuff like that.
    - I do repair other stuff like fixing chains of bag, tightening loosened screws, fixing umbrella lol etc. I tried to fix choke coil of tube light once but failed😑
    -Sticking broken stones back on my earrings/pendants if that counts
    I try to fix broken stuff most of the times (if it's some gadget, I let someone else do it) but I don't throw it away unless it's beyond repair

Most Helpful Guy

• I partially repaired my old laptop but I took apart and fixed most of the keyboard bar 2 keys now unfortunately 3 keys.
    But I think i need to put to into bios and put linux on hopefully it can find the drives for the touch pad so i dont have to navigate it with just most of the keyboard and im hoping it will run faster with just a plan linux OS rather than a very cluttered out of date version of win 10?

Also did things like took doors down to fix the hinges cleaning fans in old devices taking apart and fixing my iphone though i think largely by luck finding and fixing a short in an old lamp, glueing a tear in old trainers , took apart and fixed my electric shaver , took apart an old toaster to clean it, fixed a bike chain, dealt with all sorts of irritating crashes and removed a virus from a device found a short in a flashing dog collar not sure what else but basically lots of stuff.

Thanks for MHO

No problemo

What Girls Said 6

• Yeh I fucked up my iPod touch (ahh the good old days), it wouldn't charge, but I got a nail file and bent the charging pins at the bottom back into place.
    Now, I just leave that stuff to the professionals though xD

• All I've done is reset my sister's old phone and iPods and stuff. My roommate fixed a dead tablet last year she got from someone on Craigslist for only $50 because they didn't know how to fix it but she did. Now it's perfect and she got a hell of a deal.

• Yes, I fixed my old laptop a few times before it finally died for good. Love the cat picture by the way!

• Yes, I was so mad for a moment, I thought I had to buy a new laptop. I was about to start raging lol at my cousins who were 2 to 6 years old. They were using it when it suddenly went off.

• One of my old laptops keyboard broke so I bought a new one and it worked for another year until the damn battery wouldn't charge anymore, even WHEN I put in a new battery.

• I fixed my paper shredder once. And I know how to replace the batter in my old gbc game cartridges.

What Guys Said 16

• Well it's part of my job. . . . I'll just leave it at that

I've never repaired my PC though, it hasn't had any issues yet. It's still young though (coming up to 6 months)

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• My ancient iBook G4 broke due to a video card fault... found a solution online which was to wrap two coins in tape, wedge them against the GPU and then put the casing back together. The coins would press the GPU back into place where the tracks on the board had snapped. Lasted several more years after that!

• I have a degree in electronics, and a small repair lab in my garage. So I fix many things others would give up on.

As a job?

Wow, congrats, dude. Wish you good luck.

Thank you. We'll see how this goes.

• I always fix my PC. The only place around here to get a PC fixed is at best buy. And I am not letting any of those idiots touch it.

• Recently thought my Nexus 7 was done for, than I replaced the USB port and now it works like now.

*NEW.

I have/had a phone, just wanted something with a little bigger and better screen for watching videos in bed at night.

I'd avoid doing that - I already look at a screen too much. Watching vids at night seems like going overboard.

• Sure

• yes i have opened my computer several times now
    it was a learning process first time took me 2 hours
    then when i put it back together
    the screen was black lol

• I do things to my desktop all the time. Im to lazy to work with laptops tbough.

• i fix up old fords

• Yeah, cause hardware is really not to be broken.
    I now face wireless network card disconnect easy when I watch youtube.
    I use 5GHz of AC now.
    I buy 30M from my provider, I just could run 15M before
    Now I can run 30M and sometimes over it.
    But my router can round 1000M, network card can run 800M on 5GHz +2.4GHz
    Dont know would that disconnect when it overload?
    I now study on it, if you know tell me so that I dont need to check anymore

Now i guess if I overload 30M, maybe provider there may think get virus than software would cut it off maybe.

@DooMguy ok thank you, I will try.

@DooMguy and then I accidently saw about dlink also has the problem, So I change new driver.
      It is fine now.

• I don't take my tech in anymore. I just look it up and fix it myself.

The last time I took my laptop in, they scratched the crap out of it trying to take it apart. They weren't pleased when I showed them the non damaging method. They closed down not long after though.

• Yeah, my PC. Still runs like shit but it works now

• Nope, I don't know how to repair stuff, I don't want to make it worse.

• my 2 computers are brand new. but when they do get old, im going to mess with them a bit just for the fun of it

• All the time

• i bought and install a new hard drive and bluray drive. that's about it on the hardware end.