I think my dad has lost his mind he is thinking about my first car being a 1980s Camaro?

Most Helpful Guy

• Camaro is a dream car for everyone in that particular generation - pure muscle.

BUT the 1980s Camaros aren't what they are now or even in the 1990s - they make more noise than have power.

Again they always are high maintenance. Most Chevrolet ones are.

Your dad may be thinking of a Camaro cause
    1. You'll get used to driving without having to look at the road just ahead of your fender (those were pretty low seated and higher bonnets
    2. They guzzle fuel so you'll learn to use cars sparingly
    3. Even if expensive since the one you will have is a 1980s one will still prove being cheaper to put back into shape
    etc

But however, again best ask him why :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing wrong with Glad dad wanting you to have A... Classic car.
    Many people, Rich and Poor, own these Cars and believe Me, you will get Stopped and Complimenting for Having a Real "Beauty," and the Envy of all, @soulbabe.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 23

• I think I see this a little differently than all the young people on her. I Had to buy my first motorcycle and car. I would have taken anything that would have allowed me to get around without having to pay myself. I think the youth today are so wrapped up in having everything they want that they forget to appreciate anything given to them that they might not like or want. It's the me me me generation and I'm not just talking about teenagers. The fact that your parents are most likely to be paying for your insurance too, you should be thankful. It's not cheap buying a car and insurance for a 16 year old boy or girl. I paid for my kids insurance, but I made them pay me back for the cars. It doesn't hurt to teach the value of money. The message is much more clear when the kids have to cough up their money to pay for the car. Of course I waited until they were out of school and had a job. I was very fair, but tall three of them have come back to tell me it was good for them. At the time, you would have thought I was condemning them to a life of hardship. From our past messaging, I know you have pretty good common sense. I think you will get me point even if you don't like what I've said. Sit down with your dad and ask him to understand your situation. Buying you a car that is at least 27-36 years old will cause you a lot of grief from your peers. I do remember how hard other kids act when something like this happens. The kids today are so much worse. Ask your dad to remember how bad other kids are when it comes to this. He should remember his youth. If he doesn't have the money to buy something newer along with very expensive insurance. you have to understand that. Ask him to please hear you out before he responds. Be honest with him while not coming up with a bunch of stuff that is not relevant to make your case. Also, if you can get your Mom on your side, it never hurts! I do understand where you are coming from. Use the intelligence and common sense you have when doing this. Good luck soulbabe!

I don't have a problem with the age I really don't and I think the car is cool but I wouldn't know how to maintain and take care of it I don't know how to drive stick witch I'm guessing that's what it is and they are normally really expensive I'm happy with a second hand pickup I don't need anything flashy

Ok your right I'll talk to my dad

Good for you. I'm proud of you! Let me know how it goes.

• Hmm, personally I don't think the Camaros from the 80's are great, they've just got really high maintenance prices on them to even be able to own and use one. Try and talk it out with him and see if you can convince him that it's not the car for you, it really seems as if he's trying to relive possibly some childhood/adolescent dreams of him owning this car, by giving it to you. So really to answer your question, no he hasn't lost his mind. Although his judgement has been louder and you should try to make him see it from your view

He had a cool car when he was my age I don't remember what it was though. befor this he was asking if I wanted a 1967 Chevy impala which I do think classic cars are cool and fun to look at but I don't know shit about taking care of or driving them so it's just not practical I'm happy with a second hand pickup

I probably could

Don't know if I could though haha, you're probably better off learning that than I am. I'm not great when it comes to learning about arms and I've only ever driven a manual like 3 times, autos are just much easier

• 3rd Generation Camaros started in 1982 and they were "bitchin'" cars! We had a 1984...

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...-DesktopNexus.com-.jpg

Besides, how many cars have songs named for them?

"Bitchin' Camaro" by The Dead Milkmen
    https://youtu.be/1v3CzvQ9e_w

• Yeah, your dad isn't being practical. He's likely thinking of what car he would have wanted as a kid. I had an 81 Camaro when i was 19 biggest POS ever.

If he's going to be the one taking care of the repairs then no worries. You pretty much have to be a mechanic to drive an 80's Camaro. I was constantly pouring money into it. Horrible gas millage to, yet the smaller v8 engine it came with still had no power really.

There weird to drive. You sit so low that all you see is the hood of the car and a little bit of the road.

81 Camaro did suck, but both Camaros and Firebirds were radically redesigned for 1982.

I live in new Mexico

I agree.

• i mean unless he owns it so it's a free car to give you it would be pretty impractical to purchase one as the first car for a teenager

The guy next door has it for sale and I think it's cool but I wouldn't be able to drive it

i think perhaps your dad sees it more as something he could drive and potentially is sort of trying to re-live his own teen life. but it really isn't practical. not very safe, terrible on gas, high insurance costs

My point is made and dad wouldn't be able to us it I live 24 hours away

• I think he is living a childhood dream through you. But honestly it's a nice car if fixed up right. I don't think your father realizes it will attract more guys then what you might already do.

I don't attract people at all and dad had a cool car at my age but he's forgot I other than I'm only to weeks in to drivers ed and that's for experienced drivers witch I'm not

• Maybe he wants to use it too, lol but as as it runs and looks good then you'll be driving a classic. I had a 1978 and 1980 Z28 back then, I liked them

Yes I think they are cool but I wouldn't be able to drive it

Yeah I know it is but it requires a lot of maintenance when I don't know shit about cars I'm happy with some old pick up

You're right it does and I know that well with that one, so make sure you tell him that before he gets it

• so whats wrong with this : www.oldcarbrochures.org/.../...vrolet%20Camaro.jpg ?

i dont get it

I other than I'm only to weeks in to drivers ed and that's for experienced drivers witch I'm not

its a nice car you will get used to it i wish my dad could buy me some but it ain't an option

My dad was thinking of buying the guys next doors car witch is a Camaro but I'd be happy with a old pick up

• My brothers first car is a 1990s camaro
    Seriously, the muscle cars in the southwest are actually better preserved, get one while you can

Not really,
      The Muscle Cars in the southwest are better prserved due to a lack of moisture and they can be got cheap.
      A camaro isn't a bad car for you as well

Other than I don't know shit about stuff under the hood I know how to find the main stuff like oil Serpentine belt air filter fuse box antifreeze window washing fluid and brake fluid that's about it the rest looks like rocket science to me

• Well this is a nice car
    i.ytimg.com/vi/xwYnBJtdXjE/maxresdefault.jpg

If you don't want it, I'll take it.

• whats wrong with that , you would be envied by the guys for having one.

Yes I do think it's cool looking but I don't think I could drive it

i ready some of the other post and i didn't know it was a stick. lol i tought my wife how to drive one when she was 17. and if you learn how to drive it you can shove it in the guys faces who dont know how to drive one. and it will give you confidence when you do learn how to drive it.

I don't care about rubing it in people's faces I just want something that will get from point A to point B

• At least he's getting you a car. I had to buy my own 😢

• It's ok, i had range rover

• thats cool as fuck

• Is your dad a car nut? you may end up with the coolest car in school!

I don't go to normal school and yes he likes cars

Good deal for you then. Gonna throw this out... having a car like that should be a great way to meet guys.

I don't really want to meet guys I'm not really a girl guys like to start

• Why? Thats awesome.

• I suppose it could be worse and him buy you something older , I. e. a land yacht

• That's fucking hilarious

• he has lost his mind it should 78 and under

I don't know shit about cars so I don't really want one

Like a pickup truck u know a normal pick up

well tell your dad that's what you want but he will probably get you the camaro why? because that's probably what he really wants or wanted sentimental reasons or something like that well.. good luck lol!

• Maybe a midlife-crisis?

• what did you want? a rolls royce?

• Is she kidding bro? @Borginborg

• 80s cars are awesome though! Just embrace it 😊

What Girls Said 5

• VINTAGE! That's kinda cool though, to be honest

• So? What's wrong with that? My has a '83 Z28 and it's awesome.

Unless you're some type of spoiled brat who thinks they should have a newer car that's cute and pretty and has extra stuff in it. Otherwise, I don't see why you'd have a problem. At least you'd have a car. A lot of teenagers don't.

A Camaro is not for experience drivers lol, that's complete hogwash. That car is what I was driving when I was your age. Literally a 1983 white Z28 and it's still in our driveway. You'll live.

This is exactly what my dad's car looks like. Why would you not want to drive one of these?

oldcarmemories.com/.../...amaro_1984_1984z28-6.jpg

Other than I don't know much about cars

• If he's buying it hw gets to pick.

Not really my dad's trying to pick what he thinks I would like sence I don't speak up about what I want

Then say what you want

It's hard for me to say what I want I have never been able to do it

• Really? It's better then no car though

• Daddy must love you! 😁

I'm not sure if it's love or trying to make up for being drunk 13 years of my life

I don't live with dad I live with mom dad had a small heart attack this year so he's on meds now. sorry about your dad hope he gets better

Yours too.