If you had kids and wanted them to read, would you be proud of them if they were reading comics?

Like you want them to read and are probably expecting them to read actual books. But instead the choose to read comic books. Would you still be proud of them cause at least they are still reading something?

• I'd be proud of them for reading anything including comics
    77% (10)57% (8)67% (18)Vote
  • I'd rather they read actual books instead of comics
    15% (2)14% (2)15% (4)Vote
  • I wouldn't care if my kids read or not
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
  • I don't want kids but want to see results
    8% (1)14% (2)11% (3)Vote
  • I'd think something else about my kids reading comics (please say)
    0% (0)15% (2)7% (2)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
11|11

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd be so proud of my little nerd. Heck, I'd be excited to take them to the store to get more comics.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If I had kids, I wouldn't have any problems with them reading comic books. :) I didn't have access to very many comic books while growing up --- although I did read some here and there --- but I just loved the superhero cartoon shows and live-action movies in the 90s, etc. So I would still be a hypocrite if I somehow wanted them to stay away from the comics, lol.

HOWEVER, I'd want them to read actual traditional books and novels as well, as much or more than they read comics. There are just things from traditional books that most comics can't provide to a kid's mind, growth, and imagination. It's all a matter of being well-balanced, and not just too much into any one format of storytelling.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• I wouldn't care as long as it's clean.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they can read, I would feel happy and excited but I would check the content first to make sure it's appropriate

0|0
    0|0
  • yes. i read comics/graphic novels. so how the heck am i going to say they can't? besides, you get a lot of imagination and from comics.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't be proud of comic books by themselves. Those combined with other literature would be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would be happy that they enjoy reading to begin with.

0|0
    0|0
  • They can read whatever the heck they want, I won't be that parent where my kid can only read what I deem educational.

0|0
    0|0
  • My daughters like to read anything, even stuff not apropiate to their ages.

1|0
    0|0
  • Whatever they want to read, I'll allow them to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Whatever makes them happy

0|0
    0|0
  • comics, referring to any and all graphic novels? There are some great graphic novels out there that can teach & inform a lot... like The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman & The Complete Percepolis by Marjane Satrapi.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• No kids, not now, not ever.

But

It would depend what they were reading. If it's something good like Harley Quinn, Deadpool, Deathstroke, Darth Vader, Punisher, or most of the stuff by Zenescope (esp the various comics set in Wonderland and the Grimm's Fairy Tales), that kind of thing, then I'm cool with it.

If it's something really fucking stupid, I'd prefer they read an actual book.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely A - Any reading and using their imagination is constructive for them

0|0
    0|0
  • Reading is reading! Especially for boys, who are more into action and adventure reading.

0|0
    0|0
  • Comics use a lot of advanced language and themes, so it's not bad if they read them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Comic books are fine to start off with but hopefully they move on to actual books

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care if they read comics, but I would want them reading books more than comics

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would, doesn't matter (most of the time) what their reading as long as their reading.

0|0
    0|0
  • They can't only read comic books. I don't object to comic books, but they should read actual books as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • i'd only be concerned if they're still reading comics as an adult cuz comics are childish.

0|0
    0|0