Does suspension from work pending investigation usually result in Termination?

Cause yeah, im under suspension from work pending investigation.

Anyone with any experience with this want to give me some insight?

1mo i guess i can sum it up like this. Target demands that their cashiers get customers to sign up with as many red cards as possible. Red cards = a credit card/debit card usable only at target and gives you 5% off each purchase you make with it.

If you fail at getting red cards you are basically disciplined for it. Getting people to sign up with a credit card is very difficult as you can imagine.
1mo So i came up with an idea to give the customer a discount in exchange for signing up with a red card with me which proved to work. the discount was either $5-$15 off their purchase depending on what their total amount was and also if i felt i could really convince them id go up to 15. Did it since maybe February of this year.

The Ap people (loss prevention basically didn't like that and now im suspended pending an investigation.

Most Helpful Girl

• I work in HR. It depends on the company's policy. On the floor at my company you get suspended then you get another chance. You probably look at your handbook.

i looked but i can't find anything about it in the handbook. i looked online too

None

Termination is possible just depends on them. They don't have to. They can easily forget about or make it into something. Thing is you're representing a company so offering cash compensation in return for signing up will create public implications towards them. It's Target yes, so pretty big.

If it wasn't their policy now they have to possibly make it one if the news spreads that you get cash for signing up. Maybe they even have legal implications for doing that

They Probably would just forget about it otherwise

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a chance they'll press charges, it's technically theft. They see it like, giving friends and family discounts, all the time. I used to work asset protection for Wal-Mart.

She told me directly she wil not do that

yeah... so even if i do manage to keep my job, im still going somewhere else. tired of target

Good choice. Retail to me is just too fuckin stressful and your driven like a slave. They don't care if you're in a car wreck, had a family death, sprained a kidney (tried that excuse once, bitches didn't believe my lie), or if you're throwing up to the point of exhaustion; they want you there.

What Girls Said 13

• Hmm, I'm not familiar with this type of procedure. I think it's wrong you were pressured into making customers get something that obviously most of them don't want. I also think it's wrong Target doesn't already have a system like JCP and other retail chains where if you apply for the special card, you automatically get a percent off your purchase for trying. You were trying to meet your quota and doing a smart thing (in my opinion) Next time, you know not to do something like that without asking. I wish you the best.

I got the idea from a previous sales job by the way

Yea, I definitely see how you got there, it makes the most sense. Target... working you guys like slaves for that increased minimum wage. :/

• I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I don't know anyone who has been suspended from work but I guess it would depend on what the person did to be suspended and the outcome of the supposed investigation as to whether or not it would lead to a termination.

check update

I see. Well, I'm honestly not sure if they will decide to terminate your employment based on that. I can understand why they may be upset though. You should have checked with your manager to make sure what you were doing was okay. They may decide to just give you a warning though, hopefully.

• I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this right now. I see your reasoning behind doing that, but you're costing the company money by promising these things to customers when you are not really in charge of making those decisions. That's where your HR and AP people have an issue. I don't know if you'll be terminated, but you might be put on probation for a certain amount of time.

• Yeah, probably. That sucks. It's basically a commissioned based job, except that your job itself is the commission as a reward for sales. What will the company do when no one is getting those new applications? Bass Pro does this too.

Without me there's only one other person there that gets them those cards thats it lol.

Yes, but are they going about it the "right" way? The company probably assumes that you can too.

She is, but she's a rare case, everyone else gets very few.

• Depends on the situation but in your case, yes, it would, just because you changed a store policy without permission and it cost the store money and now they want to know how much they lost and if you're worth keeping. It also makes it look like you may have kept or pocketed some of the money yourself as your story may not be as believable. But how did you get caught?

Cameras everywhere and they have like a computer that tracks every transaction that takes place

Still, even if you didn't take it, you may have cost them money and you modified store policy without permission. I think the red card policy is stupid in the first place and I have a student who works at Target and she complains about the same thing.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you were fired but I think they will give you a second chance.

Why do I think so?

I'm honestly just preparing in case I do get fired though. I'm applying everywhere. Even if I still have my job I'm pretty much done with target.

Not trying to justify my actions but as a result of these discounts I got our store over 230 red cards for the year. As opposed to others who maybe only got like 50-100.

• Well I haven't had that happen to me. But it can result in termination if there was theft involved. I think they're just going to investigate and see what the course of action is, based on what you did :/ oh toto

• well I never worked
    sucks but they sort off have a point
    I honestly have no idea how this will end, I hope you have a back up plan

• It might but I'm not sure if that will happen to you.

• I'm not sure.
    I'm sorry to hear that :(

• Oh that sucks :/ I've never been in that situation so I have no idea, but it's a possibility.

• I would say typically yes. I'm so sorry you're going through this!

• What did you do?

long story.

Well some people are natural at it. There is another girl there who can get almost 10 a day without giving discounts. But she's an exception. Most of the other cashiers struggle to even get one a day

Hope everything gets better. I'd start looking for another job though.

• Sadly, Yes, @Toad-1
    I have had friends who went through similar situations, waste your days with no pay, just to let you know in a Courteous manner, as if they really Care: "I am sorry, Joe, but we have reviewed everything and had a meeting today, and there is unfortunately nothing we can do on this end. It was the Higher uppers who had the last say and they don't want to risk it."
    Don't sit around. Begin looking for a new position.
    I wish you Good luck.

What Guys Said 15

• Suspension for any reason is not a good sign. Whether it results in termination depends on a lot of things.

I'm a little confused though. It seems like if you are able to give a discount (i. e. the POS system allows it), then as an employee you are allowed to do it. If they give the employee the ability to do it, there should be some very clear cut rules on it. But I get the impression that there isn't.

You were doing something that they gave you the authority to do. If they consider it an abuse of that authority, then it becomes highly subjective. Unless you were blatantly violating a clear rule, then the fault rests with them.

they definitely aren't crystal clear about their rules, in fact some of them seem to even be contradictory at times

Well, if you get a chance to defend yourself, definitely bring that up. They are at least partly to blame for this, maybe entirely to blame. They might not see it that way though.

To maybe try to put this is a positive light. One of the first things I thought of is how this could be abused by giving your friends (co-accomplices) a discount. Then splitting it by them giving you half the cash amount.

It might be they are only looking for a pattern of the discounts being given to just a few people over and over. I'm sure you can see how that could be easily abused and be downright fraudulent. If that's all they are looking for, then you may be off the hook.

• No, although it sounds intimidating, suspensions are not uncommon and are supposed to be like a neutral detainment of sorts. Your chances of termination are still up in the air at this point.

If it's a proper investigation they will pull the records of every card number (over your colleagues) you issued and see if the increased custom at Target covered both your discounts and the individual card discounts. You can't be held accountable for a loss if you made them a profit.

• Sorry I don't know - Depends on the circumstances there is probably still a chance you are okay - Is your job unionised?

• Smh, you got them sales. Any business man with a brain would have made a critical decision to not lay you off. Anyways wish you luck, like that'll do anything.

• Is your plan even legal? I mean if you didn't break any laws or policies, I don't see why you would be fired. But I mean I can see where you could get in trouble for possible embezzlement conspiracy

• Toad what did you do? 😮

I'm unsure. I never been suspended from work. Usually sounds like a cop thing lol

check update

Oh no it was only on the transactions where they got a red card is when I applied the discount.

The most this usually happens is maybe 3-4 times in a day

• Oh yeah man, i'd be surprised if you still had your job after this. Explain to me where this $5-$15 off came from? Do you have the ability to to just give out discounts like that?

Yeah at the register if a customer disputes a price we are allowed to just change the price if it's $10 and under without approval from a manager

You don't deserve to be fired imho.

• Not automatically, but if I were you, I'd start looking for a new job just to be safe.

• Looks like target isn't much different from other retail stores.
    "GET PEOPLE TO SIGN UP FOR RED CARD OR ELSE!"
    "WTF? YOU GAVE PEOPLE DISCOUNTS SO THAT THEY WOULD SIGN UP FOR RED CARD? YOU'RE SUSPENDED!"

• yes this happened to me they never called me ever again it was just a ploy to keep me from getting unemployment benefits.

• hmm not always no.

• Yep. You should start working on your resumé and distributing it.

• I never was suspended from work.

do you know anyone who was?

Nope, most of my friends are my age and all the jobs they work don't suspend people. They just fire.

• I remember once being accused of something at work ( we were traveling in another city and boss claimed I swore at hotel or something crazy ) the accusations made no sense and I ended up quitting that job before they had time to investigate , I didn't like how they accused me of that

• Damn wth did u do to be suspended?