Are employers Legally obligated to tell an employee if they are fired?

Or can they just decide to never tell them?

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. I got fired once, but they said they technically weren't. They made up some excuse or said I quit... couldn't prove it and no unemployment payout risk for them.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 13

• If you have been with the company for at least 1 year as your sole source of income, or at full time for at least 6 months, you could be eligible for unemployment, if you were separated from your job through no fault of your own, such not meeting quotas due to lack of customer interest. In these cases, the company will try to protect its assets with excuses such "laid off", which is a fancy way of saying "we can't afford to pay this extra person". If you were laid off, or fired due to explicit rule breaking, then you're not entitled to pay.
    I live in GA. We're a "Will to work state". Working here is a privilege not a right, and employers can fire any time for any reason with no warning. This is a dirty way to fire over discrimination or personal prejudice.

but are they bound by law to officially tell a person if he is fired or can they just decide not to?

• Yes. They have to give you out a written letter stating the date/time/reason you've been fired, before letting you go

• Yes, they need to inform you.

• Well yeah, otherwise you'd still be showing up to work wouldn't you? Most employers give warnings unless it's serious misconduct, even then I'm pretty sure it's a requirement to have some kind of meeting or letter to make it official. This is unless of course you are a casual employee or on the 90-day trial in these cases you can be let go no questions asked.

• How would you kow if you're fired then?

• Yes bi*ch if you were the one who fired me

• They have to tell you at some point.

• No... but I think it is shitty.

• I just had a vision of me turning up to do my job for the next month then someone telling me "BTW did no one tell you you're fired" 😂

• I would think they would be.

• Yes, they are.

• I'm sure they would need to tell you.

• Like in the movie "office space" lol?

What Guys Said 23

• I don't know. If you are on suspension, I'm guessing it could drag on indefinitely. For legal reasons, tax reasons, regulations etc, I'm thinking that internally you are either on the payroll, or off. Even if you are on suspension and not working, there will still be an official status.

Whether or not they have to tell you I don't know. I'm guessing that they don't. I'm also guessing that it's state law not federal law.

I'd call your supervisor and ask about it. Sometimes companies do this kind of thing letting you make the next move. If you call them you'll go back to work. If you don't call them they eventually take you off of payroll.

If you don't call them, I'd call the labor board in your state and ask if they need to notify you of your status. I'm pretty sure this will be state law. Most states have at will employment, which gives a lot of wriggle room (for you and them both, but in practice it's usually in their favor).

• Just keep going to work every day until they fire you.

• That sounds like what happened in the movie "Office Space" , lol he was fired but he kept coming to work since they never told him and since there was a glitch in the system he was still getting paid

• By definition, termination of employment demands that the intent to terminate be communicated to the employee.

• I think so.
    In Europe they are obligated.

• Pretty sure they have to tell you.

• If they're still paying you then what does it matter? If they're not paying you you can ask them what the hell is going on.

• I think they have to.

• Back when I worked a minimum wage job they simply took a kid off the schedule. They never fired him, they just stopped giving him any hours. He kept coming in every week to look at the schedule. Eventually he just gave up. So technically he quit.

• Under UK law you are given notice (specified in employee contract) and must be shown a valid reason.

• Uhh so you just magically stop working there? How does that work?

• Pretty sure most companies are.

• Yep. They gotta.

• So what's the word man, no news yet on that Target situation i assume?

• Yes, they actually are. they can't just let you come on and keep working and not pay you

• yes i think so.

• In most states, yes.

• Huh? If they don't tell them, then they would just keep working, huh? lmao

• Obviously.

• How do you know if you're fired?

• If they're employees than they are accruing pay until they notify them that they are terminated.

• at my last job I was " laid off " is what the forms said although they also said I wouldn't be coming back and that time there was over , so they might not necessary have to use the word fired for legal purposes

• No they're not!! My dad worked for a company for 40 years and when he retired they told him he had been fired his first day on the job!! He had been coming in and doing free work for them LMAO!!! Classic.

thats like slavery though... sounds like a lawsuit