Do you think it's worrisome that people can 3D print guns?

So today I really got into this and decided to see if I could look up instructions, download/design parts, and build a gun. Went with an AK-47. Spent some time at the lab but ended up getting most of it done. Some random pics below.

It's pretty worrisome to know that if someone had the correct equipment to print this, then they could print a lethal firearm. I'll keep it simple in this next part. Granted not everything on the weapon would be printed, but it would more than doable to find those parts of the weapon that cannot be printed just by searching around.

• That's worrisome.
  • I don't really care.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol I believe it's still way cheaper and easier to get one at any gun shop in the US so that's far more worrisome.

Most Helpful Guy

• The black market is going to get bigger, gun runners are going to go gangbusters.
    There is already a fully metal 3D printed M1911
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...rinted_1911_pistol.jpg
    Next I think in ten years well start seeing A whole lot of illegal manufacturing of Sten Guns, the brits required they be simple enough to make in a villiage workshop, and a 3D printer can easily do that.
    worldwarwings.com/.../sten.jpg
    And in Ten or fifteen years, Criminals all over the world will have access to Military Firepower.
    God help us all

I think it's going to be even sooner than that. We were talking about this in lecture the other day. I'll let you take the honors man. I'm too busy with school to be writing informative mytakes right now. If you have any questions on my end I'll gladly try and to answer.

What Girls Said 4

• It is a little worrisome but the real question is... can it print pancakes?

Why pancakes? I want a nice thick juicy rare T bone steak!

@SvetlanaSavachenko That sounds good too, ironically I am not much of a sweet tooth but right now they sound proper.

Can I have both?

I'll take a bottle of whiskey too actually.

Well I usually have a baked potato with sour cream or chip dip with my steak but now that you mention it pancakes sound good too. Maybe some chocolate ice cream for dessert then Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey or Maker's Mark.

• Another reason why gun control doesn't make sense.

People can make bombs too...

• Definitely a scary thought.

• Yes it's very unsettling

What Guys Said 18

• Aaaaaaand it will break before or while firing the very first round. Those parts are meant to be made out of steel with a chrome lined bore, not plastic.

There is a 3D printed plastic gun called the Liberator, but if you really want a gun, you will find it much easier to obtain one legally or illegally than printing it yourself. There's also metal 3D printed guns and they costs thousands and thousands of dollars, much more than a conventionally manufactured gun.

You will make yourself a very cool looking model.

Most people just print the lower receiver of rifles because that's where the serial is. I'd assume within the next 5-10 years fully functional rifles will be printed with minimal effort.

@Chico_brah
      This is why Gun Control is not really an option for the future.
      I honestly don't believe English Style Gun control laws will be able to do jack shit about guns in 20 years

@Waffles731 That is the SolidConcepts gun... I am aware. You could buy over a dozen real 1911s for the same price.

• Not too worried. Let's face it you can only print these at universities or if you pay for it by someone. Like I think Microsoft has a program that you can build it and pay for it to be printed and sent to your house. I'm sure there are controls in place for shit like that.
    A 3d printer you can buy for cheap is $1000 you probably coukd get something cheaper on the black market.

• It's significantly harder to create a 3D printed gun than simply to uh 1. And even if you do manage to make 1, it's plastic and non functional unless you make functional parts, in which case, you're simply making a gun... And that's significantly more work and harder than illegally obtaining 1, which kinda defeats the purpose

• Well it is illegal and you need tons of expensive equipment and a lot of know-how to do it yourself. There are tons of easier ways to get illegal guns so not that worrisome in my opinion.

It's not that hard at all. Just takes one guy who is a little smarter than the bunch to print and sell illegal firearms on the black market. I'm estimating within the next 5-10yrs we will be able to fully print these weapons with almost no effort.

YES A METAL FUCKING 3D PRINTER, and how much does that cost?

You are honestly a fucking idiot and I'm not gonna waste my time arguing about this ridiculous subject. No you can't 3d print a fucking AK-47, and if you print most of the parts out of plastic then the weapon is going to break in a matter of fucking seconds. End of discussion.

Okay bye then lmao

• I think it's more disturbing that Iskander missiles are on their way to Cuba.

• No, it doesn't bother me at all. I was messing around with CNC machines carving out 3D models from the computer into wood and metal all the way back in 1998... Being about to something similar with plastic now is nothing new.

• This has been around for a long time

• unless they can actually print it out of metal, there isn't a problem

Yep, they have metal 3d printers. There are fully functional plastic firearms as well.

• Yeah its all Trumps fault already.

• It's probably easier to buy one than to 3D print it.

• Don't forget to share it on PirateBay once you're done!

• Some people have printed out working paper guns so... yea let's freak out😱😱

• 3D printing can't get upside down angles.

• The black market of far more worrisome.

• There is a lot bigger issues with the black market then this will ever be.

• I'd probably make some bad ass stuff. Car models, airsoft guns, things like that

• too easy to get guns to worry about that

It's only a matter of time till we can fully print the weapon from the 3D printer.

You already can print a fully functional gun. It is a terrible gun though.

@Thisperson98 Yeah it's not very efficient at all. A lot of people just print the lower receivers because that's that part that has the serial.

• No it's good. Guns are tools of freedom. This technology ensures more guns for the people