How have you dealt with a pet that had to be put down?

I cried my heart out until there was nothing left. I lost my dog of 12 years old, and my cat who was 16 in the span of a months time. All right before my birthday, then had to deal with my friends and family constantly asking where they were. I'm still not over it and don't think I ever will be

Most Helpful Girl

• Awwwww, this actually made me tear up. My dog of three years died Sept.7.2016. He got hit by a car. I cry a lot because I know it's my fault (100%), that was the first time I ever let him go for a run by himself.(I know dumb of me to let a dog go out by himself) I couldn't even make it to see his body because when I saw the blood on the road.. my heart stammered so fast and just stop beating. I felt a striking pain in my chest, and just started gushing. I cried even more thinking about how my baby was in pain before he passed. The next day I didn't even get up and go to school. Removing his bowls, booties, toy, treats, comforters, and cage his necessary. As it was a constant reminder for me to walk in my kitchen and see dog food. And when everybody ask "Where's Max?"makes me want to cry all over again. The worst part is I can't even admit to my mum, dad, sister, and brother that it was me who release him. They all think he accidentally escaped the house.. Sorry for ranting, but as time go they say you'll get over it. My heart clenches every time I think of him.

Most Helpful Guy

• You won't ever forget them. Nor should you. As for "dealing" with it- you really can't. That's a major loss. When my cat got really sick I thought she'd pull through. I didn't think anything would happen to her because she was my pet. I was sure she'd be OK. We had to put her down. She was very sick. Even just typing this now makes me sad.

Don't try to get over it. That's a tough loss. Unfortunately humans outlive pets.

What Girls Said 15

• None of us can fully understand. I've lost many beloved pets -- animals that were with me through my hardest times when no one else was. The difference is that, up until recently, I had been at their side as they took their last breaths... from old age, declining health, etc. I think that that really impacted me through my developmental years, and is the reason why I have some of the weird issues that I do today.

My last remaining childhood dog died this year. I was out of the country. For months leading up to my travel, I had such an empty feeling in my stomach and worry about anything happening to him over the /one week/ of the year I'd be gone.

No one told me until I returned that he had to be euthanized.

The pain doesn't heal. And for this case, I never had closure... sometimes I think he's just at a pet-sitter or something, because for the first time, I didn't see the death. It doesn't feel quite real.

People try to understand and offer help, but they can't. They'll suggest getting a "new" dog, they'll say the "same happened to them"... it's all meaningless. They don't know how to respond well, so they just say what everyone else does. And not in a cruel way -- it just is what it is. They're trying, even if they don't know when to stop sometimes.

I am so sorry about the loss of your friends. The thought of it... I feel so deeply for these matters, even for someone over the internet. We'll continue on. That's all that can be done. I know you won't forget your them. They have helped mold you, so there is always something of them in the air.

• I had to put my cats first kitten down, it was a litter of one and was born with this rare desease usually found in older cats.

Most of the other pets I've had were never sick they just... had accidents.

Tess got hit by a car when she tried to talk to the cows across the road.
    Brodey got hit by a car when he escaped the house through a window (how do dogs even do that?)
    Tyson got put down because he was sick, but I wasn't there for that.
    The first cat I owned got left behind when we moved because it fucked off and we couldn't find it in time.
    The two ducklings we had were taken back to a farm because my stepmums a bitch.
    We still have dads huge arse tank full of fish.
    Jagger fucked off because apparantly my grandparents don't know what fixing animals mean and male cats tend to roam. (The reason my cat got pregnant is because I couldn't afford to get her fixed)
    And Brandy is still alive and kicking even though she's the oldest dog I know at fifteen.

Oh, and Bruce but he's technically not owned by any of my family. Mum just babysits him. He's still alive and well despite his original owners best efforts (the bastard. Die in a fire bitch)

• Yes. When I was 12 or 13, my family's German Shepherd passed away. I was bullied severely and she was my only true friend at the time. I was so stricken with grief that I considered suicide. A few months later, a friend of a friend heard my story and offered me pick of the litter out of her golden retriever pups (she ran a puppy mill. I was too young and naive to realize it at the time.) I didn't want one, but my mom and dad urged me to pick one because they thought that it was a good opportunity and that the family was ready for another dog. Needless to say, I fell in love with that puppy. He was always in my pocket. I adored him, and my heart felt almost whole again. When he was 9 months old, he was accidentally hit by my dad's friend as he was leaving our driveway. He jumped over a snowbank and right in front of his tire. We rushed him to the vet and he was put under anaesthesia for the pain and for x rays. He'd severed his spine. I held him as he died. l, and it's been one of the most painful experiences of my life. To hold someone that you love so dear, to feel them take that last shuddering breath, feel their heart beat for the last time... That year was not good to me, we'll just leave it at that.

• Yeah my bunny because it had gotten sick, I didn't really see it as a big loss though because it was a total psycho bunny. Can't even imagine what it would be like if that had to happen to my dog though!

• My mother once had a German Shepherd, he was an amazing, beautiful, talented dog. At the time we didn't have a fence around our garden and there was an older dog on the other side of the street next to us and he was growling at our dog. So our dog got mad I guess (trying to protect our property) and tried to get to the other side but he got ran over by a Truck. He lost to much blood so he had to get put to sleep. My mom cried for days, she trained him since he was a puppy. An old man gave him to her because he couldn't take care of him anymore. But I was like 4 so my mom didn't tell me that he was gone so every night I went out with a bowl and dog food and set it down next to the door hoping he would come back, my mom made me look like a psychopath 😭😂

• I'm sorry... this is a huge fear of mine. I'm scared of the day I have to put my beagle down or she dies because it'll be like a piece of me goes with her. I need my dog for therapy and I honestly don't see her as a pet but as my best friend in the whole world. I wouldn't be alive if she wasn't around.

• It is awful... but you did what is best for them. We had to put my sons cat down. She was old and very sick. I hated to... but it wasn't fair to her to keep her like that.

• One of my small white kitten got hit by a car when she was looking for food.
    I was in a shock and very depressed.
    I felt the same way like you too. I try to avoid remembering that.
    It will take time to get over it.
    Time made me feel better. Stay strong.

• No one ever gets over the loss of a loved one. We all grieve in our own way, it took me two years to kind of get over the loss of a person who is still alive. I still think about that person daily.

• I've never had a pet

• Yes my first dog

• One of my white rabbits got ran over by a car. I was to shocked to cry.

• I have. It was awful both times.

• Aww, I am sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, unfortunately I have dealt with a pet that had to be put down. My 12 year old Shar-pei was diagnosed with liver cancer. The vet didn't think that there was anything that could be done to save her. He said that she'd die a painful death. I cried so much when my dad said that the vet said that she needed to be put down. My dad had it set for that weekend. I was so upset that I could barely eat or drink anything and ended up in the hospital because I passed out. My electrolytes were off, probably from all the crying. I cried even more when it was time to say goodbye to her. It was sad. Losing a pet is hard. Pets become members of our family. That was 5 years ago now and I still miss her.

• Yes my cat got run over by a car that was sad but it had to be done.

What Guys Said 4

• No, though I had to put down a couple of wives!

• No, but I have a friend that had to have his dog put down from a incurable disease. It was awful. He asked me to ride with him and then drive back. The only time I ever seen him cry. RIP Marius..

• hey dude many people go through what you're experiencing, including me. Sometimes I still get sad about a cat 2 years ago and I worry about my oldest cat, hopefully you will feel better soon.

• It's very hard and emotionally painful. I had to go a lot like that, but i had mines dog's puppies so they kinda filled the void. You will eventually go back to normal, it will help to get small puppy. Good luck xxoo