Does your party loyalty affect your perception of the strengths and weaknesses of political candidates?

Does your party loyalty affect your perception of the strengths and weaknesses of political candidates?I am a conservative. I don't think liberals are evil or stupid. I do think that they have made some judgments and some assumptions with which I disagree. When I consider the merits of a particular candidate, I try to be objective but I must admit that my conservative values cause me to be biased. I don't see the flaws in a conservative candidate as readily as I see the flaws in a liberal candidate.

That doesn't mean that I think all liberals are bad, mistaken, flawed individuals. My girlfriend for the past 17 months is a strong liberal and I think she is a wonderful person. There are some liberal political figures who I hold in very high esteem, even though I disagree with their politics. Jimmy Carter and Joe Lieberman are two examples.

The present election certainly has all of us extremely polarized and in constant attack mode. (What will we talk about on G@G after the election?) Can you take a moment, step back, and ask yourself, "Does my allegiance to the Democrat or Republican party cause me to be biased in my opinions about candidates?"

• I am a conservative and I believe I am OBJECTIVE when I consider the qualifications of political candidates
  • I am a conservative and I will admit that I am BIASED when I consider the qualifications of political candidates
  • I am a liberal and I believe I am OBJECTIVE when I consider the qualifications of political candidates
  • I am a liberal and I will admit that I am BIASED when I consider the qualifications of political candidates
1mo Very few people who have responded have actually answered the question I asked. I did NOT ask if you always vote a straight party ticket, I did NOT ask about who you support in this election, and I did not ask you to justify your political affiliation. I asked whether your party loyalty affects your perception of candidates. For example, because I am a conservative, I tend to believe negative allegations about liberal candidates and disregard bad stories about conservatives.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have no "party" loyalty. In fact, I despise the two party system that we currently have.

But anyone that thinks that they can be 100% unbiased when it comes to selecting a candidate, is kidding themselves.

What we ALL have to do, is find the ISSUES that mean the most to us, and pay attention to those. When you find the candidate that aligns mostly with your own views on those most critical issues (to YOU) ... that's who you have to vote for.

All of the other stuff, you just have to let it go. There are no "perfect" candidates. Even married couples that find their "perfect match" or "soulmate" don't agree 100% of the time on 100% of everything. It's impossible.

So yeah, personal bias is there by default.

I hope that answered your question. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• To be honest, my party affiliation has little to no impact upon my politics, worldview, or evaluation of the candidates. I am a conservative in the true sense of the word, metaphysically, spiritually, and ideologically. Not merely "conservative" in the American political sense of the word. In fact, I do not even consider the GOP to be truly conservative, but merely a milder form of liberalism as is Protestantism and the United States itself. The entire Enlightenment mentality that the West adheres to is liberal, and something that I am opposed to. I merely view my party the GOP as an imperfect vehicle for advancing my ideology.

What Girls Said 20

• Affiliation did during my first two elections. The older I get the more objective I get.

I don't believe unproven accusations no matter which side they're against. I didn't believe the email scandal until Clinton started trying to spin it in ways where she all but confessed. I've had too many lies spread about me to go and hang a man on nothing more than a mere accusation.

These days I don't even pay attention to the mud slinging, really. What Clinton did with the emails was a risk to national security so I do factor that in, but if it came out that she spends her free time dipping kittens in sulfuric acid it wouldn't have any bearing on my opinion of her as a candidate.

Just like the current allegations against Trump don't impact my view of his policies. If what the women say is true just keep women away from him when he's in the White House.

I'm not worried about what he'd do to women in the US. I'm afraid he'd be asked to visit say Russia, and then be stupid enough to be videotaped fucking underage girls by the Russian government. Next thing you know he'd be cedeing Alaska to Russia.

@Intraluminal SIlly! Trump has made billions, give him some credit to be smarter than that. I really don't believe the accusations; the man has been in the public eyes for decades. I am from NY, so is he - he's known as a 'get it done' guy, smart businessman. The allegations from these women, it all just feels so orchestrated.

@BrunetteNYC
      As I've gotten older if come to see that even brilliant people are only brilliant (if at all) in their area of expertise. Bill Clinton, for example, is a Rhodes Scholar, but that didn't keep him from putting his D in Lewinski's mouth or help him to realize that telling the truth was a better bet than playing word games with the definition of "sex."

Likewise, Watson or Crick, I can't remember which, did world-class research and won a Nobel prize, but wrote a book on race and intelligence (not his field) that only an idiot would write.

I could go on for pages, but I'm sure to get my point.

• I'm a conservative but I'll always vote liberal IF the candidate is better then the conservative candidate. If the candidates are equally good (or bad as in this election), I'll vote by my party lines.

• If you affiliate with a party it is going to bias you in the general. This is why I pay attention to the primaries. I always consider which one I would want as the least bad option or perhaps even can agree with on some issues.

Honestly I didn't hate Jeb Bush and I don't hate Paul Ryan. I do t like Rubio not do I think he is qualified.

But no one would talk me out of Hillary even Bernie. I've been decided for a very long time. I'm having a spa day the day following the election.

• I don't consider myself loyal to any party. I've only been able to vote for the president twice since I've been able to vote. Bush was already in office when I turned 18. So I voted for the first time in 2008 and of the the 2 candidates running, my views lined up more with the Democratic candidate. So that's how I voted.

• Objectivity is a worthy goal to aim at, but no matter how hard we try, I'm sure we all have biases! I try to evaluate opposition policies logically, but I know that the very way I use logic reveals my underlying values!

• Not at all. I'm Republican but Trump made me leave the party. I believe bad stories about him and won't defend him in any way. Likewise I also believe bad things about Clinton. I'll be voting independent from now on, depending on which candidate seems best, which could be republican or democrat. I take a lot of things into consideration when voting and do my research so I'm not strictly loyal to any party and I don't let my perceptions get twisted up

• I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I am a registered independent who generally votes republican and voted A in your poll.

• I try not to be biased but I know it creeps in sometimes.
    I can't understand at all how anyone is proud and vocally supporting either candidate this election. They are both horrifically bad people and so many seem to just put blinders on. It especially bothers me when the media does it. It's their job to inform people and bring the facts to light but they let their biases get in the way!

• I'm a republican, but I wouldn't say I'd vote based solely on party loyalty. I'll vote for the best of the candidate, regardless if they share the same party I do.

The question did not ask whether you always vote on the basis of party loyalty.

• Nope, I'm not loyal to any party. I think identifying yourself with a party you inadvertently close yourself off from the rest of the world.

Election, not world lol, sorry, talking on the phone and typing at the same time :p

"Does your party loyalty affect your perception of the strengths and weaknesses of political candidates? "

My answer, "Nope, I'm not loyal to any party." That was the answer and I proceeded to explain how identifying yourself with a party inadvertently influences your opinion, which 100% answers your question.

No where in my responses did I say that someone always votes on the basis of party loyalty.

Please read my responses [correctly] before you try and respond next time.

• I know I am biased... what's the big deal?

• Libs just don't go buy common sense and I try to hear them out but it's too obvious they are about ideals and are not realistic.

• im a democrat but if anybody was running besides trump i would vote republican because i dont trust hilary.

I used to support Hillary but have come to trust Trump more - at least he's NOT a corrupt whore politician pay-for-play Benghazi sinner, lol. Believe it or not, he's still a better choice than she is. I hate that she never says what she really thinks and it's all about a show for her, so staged.

Hey, pay attention to real world and NOT what Hillary says. HILLARY orchestrated VIOLENCE at Trump rallies - the proof was released last night of a man discussing his role to do this at Trump rallies. Shame on that lying scum, all of them. Bye!!

@BrunetteNYC the fact that you think I'm talking about violence at a rally 😂

• I'm registered with the Green party

• I don't belong to a party. I'm an independent voter/unaffiliated voter so I vote for whoever I think is fit. I'm not voting this year though. There's two too many crooks on the presidential ballot.

• I'm not loyal to any party or side, every time there's elections and political issues I go solely with who's opinion I mostly agree with. I might be going for the complete opposite party/thing the next time there's a vote or poll or something, just because I agree with them more this time compared to previous times.

I understand, but I explained that I don't have any party loyalty therefore my perception of any candidates is not altered at all. Like you said, believing negative allegations about (insert party/side) candidates or disregarding bad stories about (other party/side) does not happen for me because I do not permanently side with either of them.

• Each person will naturally agree more with members of their party on policy and the general direction of the country. However, that doesn't mean that I am blind to each candidates objective qualifications. I am a conservative, and I will never vote for Donald Trump.

• My party affiliation absolutely does not affect my perception of the candidates. At all.

How do you know that you are objective?

I know I'm being objective because I'm looking at the policies of each candidate... plus, I dislike them all equally, so there's no bias toward either.

• Partial to Trump only, I will never steer.

thanks for ur vote.

• I am a registered Republican but don't love the way the party has moved since the Tea Party. I don't like Trump, don't care what tag he is running under. I have voted Democrat in the past and feel like I do it more so recently like I said... since the Tea Party got big and changed so much in my opinion in my party.

I have been guilty esp. since the Tea Party emerged and took power of judging Republicans in a not favorable light, not old school Repubs but there is less and less of them. I hate the not trying to work with the other side... it's their damn job! I am a registered Repub and I guess I am harder on them because of that.

as of recently I guess I am a liberal republican... because what would have been considered repub before is called RINOs now as the party skewed to the more extreme side. But I voted as a conservative which at this point in the game I am not because I am registered republican.

I think we should be harder on our own parties... not the other one since the other side isn't the one who is supposed to be representing us... at least not until they are elected then they should be representing all of us... it's their job.

What Guys Said 41

• I know it effects the people that I know after the select a side. That is the polarization... mind control... It used to be positioned around gay marriage, abortion and such... those were the issues that divided the groups. I was disgusted at how easy it was to manipulate Christians in church around those issues and get Bush #2 elected. Now we are past those issues it apperas and it's character assassination on both sides.

I'm middle of the road and try to go for who I think is best. I think when I select someone it does bias me some, but I usually am open to input. That said, once I've selected someone, it takes a lot to push me to support someone else. For example, friends of mine who favor Clinton for various reasons... when I say something about her, they will argue her side. They then trash Trump at every opportunity. They've basically eaten the Democratic pie. So yes, even intelligent people become biased. I wonder if it is a psychological effect... like if you've ever seen people being interviwed and are asked a question that BS, they will answer it because of social pressure. There is definite human psychology and mind control games being played to hold power over people and control them.

I haven't voted for the winning president in a long time because I go against establishment choice.

• I voted almost exclusively for one party, with a couple independents thrown in. I have zero party loyalty though. I definitely do not go along with party agenda. It's one issue at a time, with relative weight placed on them. Mostly my vote is determined by just a few big issues, which just happen to be with one party.

It's rare for me to agree with more than about 2/3 of a candidates views. For me the biggest issues are big government vs small government, and financial/economic policies. Most (but not all) of the rest is just political football in my opinion.

• i don't think so. i've always voted with my heart and head rather than my voter registration card. i've routinely voted for republicans in various elections. i don't care the party of the candidate as long as they best represent my values and want to address the issues i think most need to be addressed in the way i think they should be addressed

• I feel like I'm a conservative. When I read the Republican Party platform, I like what it says. The problem is the candidates they've nominated for potus since Bob Dole don't strike me as serious politicians. I voted for GWB the first time and soon wished I hadn't. (I really liked John McCain as a senator, but he turned nut job to secure the nomination and then there's Sarah Palin…) The R candidates don't have anything to do with the party's traditional base or its stated values; they're obstructionist, incompetent babies. For me the GOP is completely broken and, one election after another, I keep hoping it's going to bottom out and get better, but it just gets worse and worse. So I guess that means A in your poll? Because, despite my beliefs and *wishing* there was a decent GOP candidate, I've voted for democrats since 2004.

• I did not select from the choices above as none fit me.
    I no longer give loyalty to a political party. There is so much rigging and manipulation in the media these days that loyalty to a political party is pointless. I research the candidates and learn as much as I can. Then give my vote to the one I believe to be the most honest and committed to keeping their word. This goes for national, state and local candidates.

• I'm a libertarian so I think both the Republicans and Democrats suck. I'd have voted Republican if Rand Paul had been the nominee but since he isn't I'm voting for Gary Johnson. It was foolish for Republicans to support Trump. It's exactly what Clinton wanted. She was the most scared of Rand. Wikileaks proved that.

You mean MR. Aleppo

@Benk111 I think it's funny that this is all you've got, when you're probably planning on voting for Mrs 'I forgot what 'C' stands for' or Mr sexual predator.

• Nope because the only things I'm loyal to is the United States of America, our republic the amendments and the constitution.

Though I have identify as Conservative Republican because they are closest to what the country was founded on. I vote for any party member that will follow the constitution and do what's right for the people, the republic and do right by what we were founded on and for.

• E- I am not a liberal or conservative and have no loyalty for a party and objectively look at political stances in terms of what is right and actually makes fucking sense instead of following candidates like a fucking circus monkey in a suit
    cdn.totallycostumes.com/.../..._400_UI-MG13213.jpg

• I'm fairly objective actually all things considered.
    Take Nixon for example (I ALWAYS get downvoted when I say this btw)
    Nixon was a conservative and corrupt as all hell, now looking at his presidency, take away the corruption and you'd have a fucking awesome president.
    His list of achievements are sky high,
    Apollo landings
    re-establish diplomatic relations with china
    Create the EPA
    Ended the Vietnam War.
    I've voted republican twice as well.
    Qualifications to me are what really matter

I agree about Nixon. I don't think corrupt is what I'd call him, more like old school good ol' boy politics. He did get a bad rep though. He was brilliant in many ways.

He opened diplomatic relations with USSR also, not just China. Don't forget the SALT treaties. Yea, he ended Vietnam. He got a lot of flack over Vietnam though, because he didn't end it quick enough.

• I don't have party loyalty. If the political parties were actual parties I'd go to one for the food and one for the cake and a different one for the gift bags. I vote my conscience.

• I don't consider myself either liberal or conservative, if I had to take a stance the closest would probably be libertarian but even that doesn't fit my views perfectly. It all depends though, because just a candidate is liberal, conservative, or libertarian does not necessarily mean that they are bad choices but it also does not mean they are good choices. The only way that one can truly make a good decision while voting is to vote for someone based on what their actual plans are, and their past activity as well as their current activity and where they plan to go in the future.

• I believe no one is objective. Everyone is biased no matter how hard they convince themselves they are not.

Also, no one is objective. Objective means factual 100% and no one is factual 100% because no one knows all the facts of every candidate.

I am biased and subjective.

• I'm probably somewhere in the middle. Like, I really do try and see things from the other point of view and think about how how some of my beliefs and practices might seem hypocritical or flawed. In the end though, I definitely usually agree with what the liberals say. It's just one of the many flaws of our two-party system. If everyone just ran as themselves rather than representing a party, maybe we'd be able to judge them based solely on their own merits. Also, we'd always have more than just two options.

• I am a liberal, the conservative candidate would have to do something amazing for my vote to change from a Liberal candidate.

• I'm a democrat but most democrats on capital hill these days are moderate republicans. George H. W Bush voting for Hillary is the perfect example of that. It's just republican light, and the few real democrats like Elizabeth Warden and Bernie Sanders (yes I know he's an independent but he supports liberal values) are all pushed out. We need to take back our party and it's all Bill Clintons falt for bringing in the conservatives to the party when he ran against Bush and now Hillary is doing the same thing.

• I try to be as objective as possible, but then, in my eyes, the flaws of conservatives appear large whereas that of liberals appear relatively smaller. Yes, I am a proud liberal and the reason why I wouldn't vote a conservative is because, even if the candidate, as an individual is well qualified, there are too many members on the far right whom I find too divisive and them getting a voice in the government is dangerous (for eg - Ann Coulter, in US).

So yeah, to conclude, I try to be as objective as possible as a liberal, but I do have the bias against conservatives, than being pro liberal.

• Since I don't have party loyalty, this is a fairly easy question (easier than picking the next president) I'm extremely objective. I know what I want out of my government and the candidate that addresses MY needs to the greatest degree gets my vote. No party bias at all. I'm registered as independent

• I have no party loyalty. Obama was better than Mccain and I felt Romney was the better option over Obama the following election.

• I don't identify with any political party. I am considered far left in my beliefs, but I would vote for a candidate from any party if I feel they would move the country in a better direction and help close the bitter divide in this country. I am an objective voter.

Update: I believe what can be verified. The letter beside a candidates name doesn't make them more or less credible to me. Did that answer your question?

• I can see the faults on both sides and recognize them. People who have an unrelenting dedication to a select party tend to be extremely narrow minded..

• anyone with party loyalty who says No is a liar.

• we have a lot of parties in my country that are roughly equally popular. the competition between them causes many people not to be loyal to a single party.

• I wouldn't trust a "conservative" that doesn't run with the GOP honestly. I do not like the GOP but they are the only way for conservative to get into office, so we've seen many people use it as a vehicle to do so. Like Ron Paul and now Donald Trump.

• I'm in the common sense party that realizes that the only difference between most liberal and republican candidates is who they are bought by and actual values rarely enter the conversation when they try to pass new legislation.

• I'm a conservative and will always operate based on the assumption that my party (GOP) is superior to the democrats.

• C. If I were biased, I would admit it. I support candidates based on their chances. Even if I dislike the party they affiliate with, I would still vote for them if they were the candidate I wanted.

• No, I was a hardcore democrat until Hilary came along. Now I'm a Republican.

• I admit I'm biased.

• I have no loyalty to a party. That's foolish.
    I go for whoever is the best choice at the time.

• I will vote for whoever I think is better

• More from Guys
    11