To those who have been fired before, how do you cope?

If anyone has been following my questions I just found out today that yup I'm fired. Never happens in my life. So id like to know from those who have experienced this, how did you cope with it?

i have 2 interviews lined up next week so umm hoping I won't stay unemployed for long. It's still an awful feeling though no matter what.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm sorry you went through that but I guarantee this will be a learning experience for you.
    So you got fired? That's not who you are. You're more import than any job. You were there for the money and that's it. You'll find a new job to replace it and the great thing is it will offer you new experiences and a new circle of people. And everything has a beginning and end in life. This is just a new beginning for you and you'll do great! 😘

Most Helpful Guy

• It really just sucks for now. I use to work at an airport when younger. Me and this other employee opened some cargo and found cases of beer. We took a couple and got fired for it. But you eventually just forget about it like anything else

Especially once you start working at a new place

How long it take before you found a new job?

If they bring it up I'll say something but I won't bring it up myself

You opened up cargo?
      Its understandable when its a mistake and there being unreasonable but steeling is a different story especially if it wasn't out of necessity.

What Girls Said 12

• I'm so sorry about this, @Toad-1, but I did try to Warn you that you probably would Be... Let Go.
    I don't use this Word "Been Fired," jus tlike I don't use the Word "Hate," although I know you probably are puttin gSomeone or Somerthing in this Sentense right Now.
    I am glad that you have Backups, which I had Strongly Suggested. And I won't Lie to you here, dear. Just like before. It is Going to be a Long stretch. They Always have a "Stack" of "Other Applicants" that They are Seeing, Reviewing, so it could Take awhile. The Process Today is as long as your arm.
    Might I suggest, because Being I was Right about your last Escapade, Go to a Temp Agency where with a Quick Background Check and Urinalysis, you will get Hired a little Faster, while Waiting for Something Better to come Along. Such as Any of your Many Interviews, which by a First or Second paycheck, Maybe More, you Should have Something on that Other End by Then.
    Good luck and Take this Weekend for you to Relax. xx

• Hey toto! Sorry to hear, I saw :( I haven't had hat happen to me, I've been laid off but I was given a reason that it has nothing to do with me, but that the business was bankrupt.

I would expect it to be like a dementor sucking the life out of you. It can be a stepping stone of failure toto, but I wouldn't worry. You have interviews lining up, so hopefully you'll do well :) I don't see a reason why you wouldn't

• It totally sucked being fired even though I hated that job. You're more important than your job, take this as a learning experience. I know you will find a new job, I am sure you have skills that a company will want.

How long did it take you to find a new one?

I am still waiting for news from a place I applied for. I am about to apply for the Certified Nursing Program and the course itself isn't very long. It won't be fair to quit a job I just got, to go work at a hospital. I am debating if I should wait until I am a certified nurses assistant, then apply for jobs.

• Target blows. I worked there for my first job and basically got fired for calling out once. I was hired as a seasonal worker, but they were all set to keep me on as a full time regular worker. My boss straight up told on the phone that if I didn't come in, they weren't keeping me.

• To cope, show the person or company who fired you what you are made of and that it is their loss. And remember there are other better jobs out there.

• Hmm, I was laid off before. I hated the job anyway, so, it made it easier. I would just focus on finding another job (which you are) and try to learn from the situation if possible and move on.

• I've only been fired once. thankfully my best friend got fired with me. she didn't act like it was a big deal because she'd been fired many times before so that kind of gave me a clue to be cool about it. if it werent for her i would have either cried in my car or cursed him out and cried later.

How long were you without work?

2 months lol it was horrible. im still in school so i dont really have any marketable skills so im sure you'll be able to find work faster.

• I just apply for jobs... nothing really esle I can do. Life goes on.

• Never been fired. But I was between jobs before. Put it behind you and keep trucking. Have a positive outlook. It's important at this stage you're able to explain the firing to potential employers. For this I suggest you check out some interview books at the library. Also, it's definitely helpful if you have someone do a practice interview with you. Your local EDD may have some resources.

• it sucks for sure, even if you didn't like the job. when i was fired, i seriously lost morale to even apply for any other jobs or go for any interviews, i guess for my case time healed the wound, and also the fact that i had bills to pay so i had to get up and make the best of the situation

• You move and get a different job. You were fired as a cashier at Target, not some huge law firm. Is it really the demoralizing?

If you've never been fired before in your life yes

I don't think it's lame, but I just thought that before you did something against policy you would prepare yourself for this type of consequence.

Not really cause it was never made clear this was against their policy

• I didn't worry I had another job the next day.

What Guys Said 16

• That sucks, man, sorry to hear that. All good though, it's just a job. There are a million others out there. I've been fired twice, bullshit both times. Almost punched the guy on both occasions, but that's just who I am🙄😂

First was a convenience store when I was like 20. My girlfriend at the time worked there too, and she got held up and robbed at gunpoint. After the robbery, I came down to make sure she was alright, but she was understandably upset. Store manager came, and so did the district manager. Basically the district guy was like "ok, well, that's over. Back to work." My girlfriend was like "I'm too freaked out to finish my shift." So dude turns to me, and he's like "ok, you close the store tonight." I was "bro, I think my girlfriend needs me tonight, she just had a traumatic experience." Guy was like "well who's going to re-open the store? What if someone needs a gallon of milk." I said "are you fucking serious? There's a 7-11 down the street!" He's like "well, if one of you doesn't close the store, you're both fired." I ran up and did fake punch to make him flinch, told him to go fuck himself and he's lucky I didn't stomp the shit out of him, and to not ever let me see him again, then said "sorry, Pete, you're a good guy" to the store manager, and we just left.

Second time, I was a bouncer at this one bar The Harp, run by a guy nicknamed "Harpo." Harpo was all over the place. Coolest boss you ever had sometimes, then other times he was the worst, just totally unreasonable. Long story short, after working there like three years and being the head bouncer, I decided to pick up a couple shifts at another bar downtown, just to break the monotony and look at some different scenery a couple nights. I told him at the next scheduling meeting about and his face dropped, and he's like "oh... we'll talk." Then he left without talking to me. The next Tuesday was my first shift at the other place. Tuesday was Trivia Night at the old place, the busiest night, and it was a headache to work it, one of the reasons I took Tuesdays at the other place. Trivia Night is showtime for Harpo. He loved being the center of attention and cracking lame jokes as he MC'd Trivia Night. There was a "halftime" period to it, and this crazy asshole left at halftime and drove across town to show up at my new job and start shit with me. Like 55 years old, this guy, harassing a kid 30 years his junior because he got a second job. Started talking all this shit about working for his competition (it...)

... was absolutely NOT his competition, totally different clientele), and just being disrespectful and prodding me, because he knows I'm a live wire, and he finally got me to snap and I ended up having to be restrained by the other bouncers, on my first fucking night at a new job, on a quiet Tuesday night. Thought I was fired for sure. Lady that hired me was cool as fuck though, she knew he was acting crazy, she said she could give me plenty of hours there if I wanted to quit the other place. Harpo had said in the way out, after firing me up, to come in by noon tomorrow to talk if still wanted the job. Don't know why I went, maybe out of respect for the previous 3 years. Conversation wasn't going how I wanted, he was still disrespectful. At the breaking point, I was about to punch him, but his six year old daughter who loved me was there, and I could bring myself to fly his head to Neptune in front of her. Punched out the door window and I was on my way😅

• You work in retail?

Retail must be really hard with customer service and putting up with rude and impatient customers that feel they are entitled to whatever it is that it may be.

Did your boss give any valid reasons as to why he decide to fire you?

It's tough out there, college degree or no college degree. I always think it's best that we figure out how to be our own boss at some point and work for ourselves instead of for somebody else for the rest of our lives. Since sometimes they can fire you unreasonably. And you can also get laid off unexpectedly because of the economic situation as it's really not steady and stable anymore.

I haven't yet. But I might. I don't know. Been laid off before, and I really didn't like that job.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2139715-does-suspension-from-work-pending-investigation-usually-result-in

This is my other question. The reason for my firing is in the details here

That's fucking awful. Totally fucking unreasonable. Did those people in charge ever properly trained their cashiers for that kind of work on selling to the customer? Because it's not always easy to just make sales, it takes persuasion and customers still have the right to decline and reject your offer no matter how good you were at persuading them to sign up.

I mean you're a cashier, not a salesman, they should never expect you to be "selling" to the customers and pressuring them to sign up as that's really hard in the first place if they aren't a frequent buyer that shops there and buy a large quantity of goods there.

They should have been more flexible about it instead of unreasonably demanding that you make a certain amount of sales figures in a short time frame.

You know what look into Union type of jobs instead, they have better wages and you don't have to put up with that kind of unreasonable bullshit.

And it's hard to figure out who buys there frequently and whether they had already signed up. It just seems to me how unfair that the people in charge really don't give a fuck and consider their employees expendable if they had intentionally created these unrealistic expectations that every cashier has to be able to "sell" to the customers to sign up for their brand of credit/debit cards.

I understand why you did what you did because the people in charge there had unreasonable expectations in the first place and you really don't know what else you could have done to convince the customer to sign up and meet their unrealistic and unfair expectations.

• Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Toad mate. I was axed from target and my girlfriend left me right after. I was heavily depressed.

Took me awhile to find a job after. Like awhile and in that time I racked up heavy debt lol. people said file unemployment, by my pride and honor was always against that. Very stupid move 😓. I mostly had my games and reading to cope. My friends all abandoned me during this time so I didn't have supper there.

So hopefully you can lean on friends and family during this time mate. And good to hear you have interviews already lined up: you're already making out better than me :).

You're gonna make it Toad🐸.

• I was fired from the first job of my career choice fresh out of college. A week later the government hired me into a much better position at a much higher pay and benefit rate.

Being fired simply meant to me I was working in the wrong place. And I am glad it happened!

• Never been fired. I did have my contract not renewed due to a screw up once - that basically resulted in me running out of money, not being able to pay rent, and my girlfriend and I ending up on a break while we both moved back home.

More recently I was made redundant. I drank most of a bottle of whiskey and spent the first night angry and the shitty hand I had been dealt. Gave so much and worked so hard for those fuckers and they just let me (and 50 others, granted) go. Didn't go in the next day until almost 12pm, partly due to hangover and partly because I didn't care any more. What more could they do to me?

Had the weekend to collect my thoughts, started contacting employment agencies first thing on Monday morning.

Sorry man. Rough deal. You'll get through it and might even come to see this was for the best as you find a new, better opportunity.

• I've been fired from the same company but I worked at a DC. Honestly I felt a huge sense of relief, i hated that job. I had worked there for close to 8 years and began to question them on some of their new polices. Mainly the firing of a good chunk of the work force and using temps (at half the pay) and a larger workload on its full time employees to save money. I questioned them on it every chance I got and then the write ups came and came and came. Little shit like missing the trashcan. So when I got canned I wasn't too upset. I filed for unemployment and went back to my roots. I worked as a handyman getting payed in cash. Building decks. Fixing fences. Patching sheetrock, etc. It took about 4 months before I started my next job. For me it was a gift.

• Honestly, I cried about because it put me in a situation that I didn't know what to do with my life.

But I worked another job while contemplating what to do next. I later decided that tech is the route that I want to go and I don't give a shit what my firing bosses had to say.

Hence I am working jobs that I don't like while attempting this master's degree.

You don't necessarily need a masters for tec a lot of its more about a portfolio a strong repo of projects if possible colaboratory.

@sedrftvgyhujik What else should I do? I am open to anything.

Iv not done anything in cyber security.
      one thing that might help with networking if its around in the US is there's a group call
      hack space its not actually hacking focused thats just the name but the majority of the other guys i meet up with at my local one are developers or engineers of some kind it got me a lead for an interview some help with projects and one of them a senior web developer passed some on part time web development work for another guy younger than me.
      I basically go there work on my projects for a few hours and chat to them it helps remind me how to interact with humans and it has the potential to help get you work through the other pepole who turn up.

• Really sorry to hear that - From what you told us I thought that was really harsh - I have no experience of unemployment but I hope it works out for you.

• collect unemployment.
    Dont get too depressed about it. It happens to anyone and maybe ask your boss what you may have done that would have caused them to terminate you. Then when you get another job, do what you can to better yourself and be the best damn employee you can be.
    But also keep in mind that you should pick a job that you enjoy being at.

• I would try to enjoy the break from work. You'll have lots of time to be busy with work again. If I left my job, I'd probably take a month or three off and do things I want to do like travel.

• Didn't even phase me, especially since it's party their fault they had me on such a wild, random and fucking sporadic schedule that I'm surprised I only missed one day.

If anything I'm glad I don't work there anymore.

• How did it make you feel when you found out?

I haven't been fired, but I've left jobs that I hated. I suspect the experience is *somewhat* similar.

If I were you, I'd just call it their loss and move on to better things. :)

• Never been fired, but I'd guess Id just put all energy and anger into finding another job asap cause unemployment sucks

• I got fired in 2014 after my supervisor set me up. I moved on. Found a job I enjoyed, got a better boss. I've since got yet another job and things are better than ever.

• Good luck

• I just got another job. Dgaf