Do you think one of the ironies in life is selfishness is viewed as a flaw but we are often encouraged to be more selfish in aspects of living?

0|0
2|3

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, it is ironic in a sense.

However, not being selfish is actually a moral thing. Morals ask us to rise above this and to not indulge in the things of this world.

Morals often conflict with the truth in ironic ways. Which is why people that follow their morals may often receive high praise and respect from others, but they will not receive as much success in a worldly sense such as becoming rich.

People often tell their children to learn from their mistakes and to listen to their parents, and more often than not they ignored their parents when they were young, and when their kids do the same they become frustrated.

0|1
    0|0
    • 1mo

I think it conflicts with the human flaw that treats kindness as an exploitable weakness

• 1mo

Agreed.

Businesses exploit this all the time. Which is why they succeed but lack any morals. As long as they're making a profit they don't care.

• 1mo

'Profit' exists as prominently in normal living as well

What Girls Said 2

• 100% however, life itself is an irony.

0|1
    0|0
  • as in life isn't cheap?

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• That is a very true point but it is like confidence - To be overly self confident is boorish and arrogant but to be self assured is admirable.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you really want to get fucked up, study Objectivism. With that philosophy, selfishness is to be praised and altruism is considered evil.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

all about perception, isn't it :)

• Show All
    • 1mo

I don't think that has to do with "The Social Age". That said, this was bound to happen due to the nature of technology. If you don't want it, don't participate in the technology and become a Luddite.

• 1mo

true, I am being hypocritical :(