What does being Transgender mean?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a mental illness. There's nothing wrong with it, but yes it is a mental illness. A mental illness is a condition which affects someone's thinking. Transgender affects how someone thinks. They think they are someone who they are not. They can identify as male, female, or something completely different. That being said it is a mental illness, but we have to treat it in the way we would treat any mental illness, with acceptance.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 8

• Transgender is someone who is born as male but feels like they were born in the wrong body as in they feel female and vice versa. Some people do nothing to change appearance, some dress different, women who feel like men often bind their boobs down, some take hormones of the gender they feel they are, some do too surgery and change their chest, and others do the whole Shabang. It isn't a mental illness and they aren't bad people like others below say. They're just people like everyone else who feel uncomfortable with their identity.

• I think it pretty much means being what ever you want to be and what you feel you should be in life.
    It makes me so sad when you see people acting disgusted of transgender people but how the fuck does it effect them in anyway? It's great that people can be born into a body and life they are happy with, so why can't everyone just be supportive of those who are living in the wrong body and make that decision to live the life they wished they were born into.

• Altering the physical gender. (I'm not very eloquent in describing these things plus I'm not transgender)
    To expand, I think being transgender means the brain has closer feelings, emotions, wants as the physical gender that one was born with. However, I think the brain trumps the genitalia because it's worth so much more. Your brain is everything.

• Changing your gender.

• Transgender in and of itsself is a vast category.
    But basically what it is people who suffer a categorial disorder called gender dyshpora. Which means they think they are born in the wrong body or are neither male or female or both.

• A mental disorder. Gender Identity Disorder.

• It means you're sick

• It means transgender. what's so difficult to understand that word

What Guys Said 11

• There is no definitive answer, but it generally means that someone who was for example born a man, becomes a women. Or the other way around. This is often done by a sex change operation or simply by crossdressing and acting like the other gender.

thank you for an unbiased actual answer to the original question that didn't offend me personally.

Glad I could help.

I'm actually surprised that there are so many negative answers

Yeah. I'm also quite surprised.

• It means you believe you are different gender than the one you really are because you have been deluded by your psychological disorder.

• What it means to be transgender:
    www.webmd.com/.../transgender-what-it-means

• Being a woman in a male body, or being a man in a female body. You don't necessarily have to have had surgery. It's the extreme form of gender dysphoria; some people find themselves somewhere inbetween — they're not trans.

• It's a mental illness

• Brain body miss match, basically the gender of your brain doesn't match the gender of your body.

• A real life catfish thats what it is and always will be.

• Having boobs but also cock and balls

• Means you cross dress, wear the opposite genders clothes and pretend to be that gender

• It means you're a mentally ill freak.

• it means you have a mental illness