Were (are) dinosaurs the most successful group of terrestrial vertebrates ever?

Dinosaurs first emerged 230 million years ago, became the dominant group of terrestrial animals 205 million years ago, and their reign came to an end only 65 million years ago. For so long did the dinosaurs reign supreme that T-rex, Triceratops and Ankylosaurus are closer in time to us than they are Brachiosaurus, Allosaurus and Stegosaurus.

And to think, even though they're not as prevalent as the used to be, there's 10,000 species alive today.

Were (are) dinosaurs the most successful group of terrestrial vertebrates ever?

• yes
    67% (2)33% (3)42% (5)Vote
  • No
    33% (1)67% (6)58% (7)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely yes. There was no way for them to evolve enough to survive the effects of the Chicxulub asteroid or the Deccan Traps, but remnants remain. I like my example better than yours. The Red Legged Seriema...
    tse4.mm.bing.net/.../tumblr_ma5v85iEop1r8r1lb.jpg
    ... with a sickle claw that would make a veloviraptor smile.
    2.bp.blogspot.com/.../seriema+claw.jpg
    You could theorize that they didn't die out.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

Well according to the law of monophyly birds ARE dinosaurs, so you wouldn't need to theorize that they didn't die out, they're simply are still alive :)

• 1mo

My theorizing was that the Raptor subspecies specifically did not die out. This bird hunts just like Velociraptor probably did. It is usually seen singly or in pairs, but sometimes in groups up to four, apparently families. It typically walks on the ground and can easily run faster than a human in its habitat.

What Girls Said 1

• I suppose they were, they ruled the Earth for millions of years, much longer than us humans.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Hell no. That would be mammals. Mammals created creatures that rule both the land (humans) and the sea (dolphins and whales)

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah they dead

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • 1mo

If you classify birds as dinosaurs because the current theory is that all birds' evolutionary ancestor was a now extinct dinosaur, then it's inconsistent to not count the evolutionary ancestor of the current dominant species -- humans -- as the most successful land animal. That evolutionary ancestor is currently thought to be a small mammal most similar to a tree shrew.

• 1mo

No it isn't "inconsistent" at all to classify birds as dinosaurs because the law of monophyly applies to all organisms; not just dinosaurs and mammals. I first has nothing to do with who was the dominant species at the time. Just because somethings' descendants would become the dominant species doesn't make it the dominant species at the time and this goes for both mammals and dinosaurs (the first dinosaur wasn't the dominant species at the time either). The point is that you said that dinosaurs aren't the most successful group because they're dead but the fact is that they're not.

• no we are... especially white women for over 100 years now

Time to put them in their place. MAN is the prime ruler of the earth. MAN is the supreme organism. This is a MAN's world. How dare women roam freely?

0|0
    0|0
  • nahh human r

0|0
    0|0
    • 1mo

GROUP of vertebrates.

• Show All
    • 1mo

Lel k. i wantz u 2 teach me engrish please

• 1mo

@LadyTerror i could but i won't, becaus ur English is very bad u need an advance English teacher