What do you think of games with Perma-death systems?

Basically if any of your chracters dies they're gone for good.

Fire emblem has had this and I know of other strategy RPGs that have this too.

you like it or no?

• I like it, makes you really think about your strategy more so your dudes don't die
  • I don't like it, one simple mistake and my favorite character is dead for good
  • I have a different opinion (please say)

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I like it more than games where you can die however many times you want and you just get to reload and keep playing the character. I guess if there was an option to switch perma death on or off, it might be better.

Most Helpful Guy

• I like it. I use to play Diablo 2 hardcore years ago. Every once in a while I play path of exile hardcore legue. The last time I played I lost my blade vortex assassin... :D I have to start a new character the next time I play...

What Girls Said 8

• Not in RPGs with multiple characters, but it's pretty standard in older games like Mario. You die you start over.

• I think a few chances is better than forever dead. It's kinda annoying with Witcher though where you can die a bazillion times and never have big consequences.

• people laugh at me cuz I go to the bar and club at 33. but I laugh at you bc you're playing the same damn game my 11 year old wants

• That would suck hardcore

• It's an interesting way to think about your next move. Plus I haven't seen many games that does it.

• Voted B. Hate them

• Pretty cool

• I hate them

What Guys Said 16

• I like hardcore gaming with *non* RPGs. But you invest such a tremendous amount of time into MMORPGs that it is just a hell of a loss. Way too high stakes. The great thing about MMORPG's, in my opinion, is having the option to laze around and not take it too seriously. Or take it very seriously if you like. However, with a permadeath system, you only have the option to take it *very* seriously.

However, something like, say, Minecraft in hardcore mode, I could deal with. Even though it's a lot of wasted effort if you make one slight mistake, it works. But, Minecraft also has creative mode and normal mode; so, you have the best of all worlds. That's the sort of gaming experience I would like with MMOs.

For instance, when I was playing WoW, there were normal raids and heroic raids. I absolutely loved the intensity and difficulty of heroic raids, and the benefit of higher quality gear. However, I also had the option to not take it so seriously and just do regular raiding, if I felt like it.

So yeah. I voted B.

• I lost hours of play to the "survival" mode in Fallout 4. I had secured some power armour in the Glowing Sea and been badly hurt in the process, so carefully picked my way back out, lack of sleep reducing my stats more and more, eventually getting to the relative safety of the "normal" Commonwealth. I then had an epic battle with a legendary deathclaw. Within sight of Diamond City, I came under fire from supermutants. One blew himself up, the other would not give up and followed me for miles (I was walking along the riverbed with my armour allowing me to breathe) until I finally managed to evade him and drag myself out of the water.

I had gone up almost five levels. I went into Diamond City. Dr Sun was asleep so I couldn't heal my rads and injuries, so I went to the general merchant (whatever that Mr Handy is called) to buy supplies to repair my armour. The game crashed.

Because survival mode only saves if you save the game, not on transitions, not on rest, I lost like four hours of epic adventure.

It was at that moment that I decided so-called iron man modes could fuck off.

• I don't like them. I understand that there is often a need to keep things tense to give players a thrill and to keep them on their toes, but perma-death is too similar to real life. xD One of the most fundamentally fun things about many games is that you get more chances than you get in life.

• Lol it sucks if there's like open world PVP or something combined with it because you just know you're gonna make a great character then all of a sudden a party of like max level peoples comes and destroys you /=.

• I like it. It brings new strategy and awareness to the game. I like it especially in games like fire Emblem.

• No way I don't like that. If I had a bunch of progress made and this happens? Oh no. The whole systems winding up in the closet and I'm never playing it again. Until I do that is..

• Don't like it

• I normally dont like it. Heavy rain did have this system. Its not an rpg but it still was a good game.

• Nah, I am all for harder games kind of like dark souls but perma death would be for a very niche group and it wouldn't last. It would really be for the people who are hardcore gamers.

• I tried Diablo 3 on hardcore. Its fun and doable but if there's some server lag, you're petty much dead😂

• Its cool.

• You mean roguelikes?

• It is good and everyone elso who tock b is stupid because there is a option that ask you if you want that or not

• Depends a lot of the game.

In some I had played, that extra hardness made the game extra interesting. But in others it just was frustrating.

• Personally, I wouldn't like it unless I wanted to truly test my mettle in an RPG.

• That's what I love about X-COM EU