Would you consider yourself materialistic?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and no.

__

Yes, in the sense that I like things that are VERY well-made and unique -- and things like that are usually expensive.

I have... a thing for Hervé Léger dresses, for example. Each of mine cost at least a few hundred dollars, and a couple were over $1000 even with big discounts.
    But... if you've ever worn one -- or even SEEN a woman wearing one -- you'll understand why they cost so much.
    The knits themselves are durable, heavy, perfectly uniform, beautifully detailed and finished, and dyed with colors that will NEVER fade. The zippers don't break or cause any puckering in the fabric, even though these are TIGHT-fitting dresses (like "hold in all yr breath while I zip you up!" kind of tight). And ohhh shit what these dresses do to a woman's curves. <3 <3

I also have lots of expensive shoes. But, this is another "you get what you pay for" department. I'm talking about beautiful shoes that are also reasonably *comfortable* (you know how rare this is at lower price points, I presume) and DURABLE... I have some pairs of dress pumps that I've owned for as long as 10 years, with just a re-sole every now and then.

The expensive stuff I like, is like this -- it's stuff that I exquisitely APPRECIATE, and that I wear or use on the regular.

__

No, in the following senses:

• I don't care AT ALL about expensive things that aren't FUNCTIONAL.
    My wedding band cost less than $100, and I still have no intention of trading up to anything fancier for daily wear (although my husband, who does some metalwork, has made me some other rings for special occasions).
    Tbh, I would HATE wearing expensive jewelry -- I would just worry about losing it, having stones fall out, etc.

• I don't care AT ALL about "showing off".
    I like to enjoy expensive stuff MYSELF, but, the LESS that random people see, the better -- I don't want to make myself a target, either of spite or of robbery.
    I drive old cars (which I work on myself), and I mostly just walk around in workout clothes.

• I HATE conspicuous branding.
    If anything has a visible brand name on it -- especially a designer name -- nope. Count me out. I'm not a billboard; if I wanted to advertise a brand, I'd expect to be paid for it!
    I only wear stuff where the branding is extremely subtle -- or, better yet, absent altogether.

• My family and I live WAY below our means.
    These days, our spending isn't even 50% of MY income. (That's not even counting my husband's.)

I call MYSELF "high maintenance", but, you tell me.

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to be. In fact, in my 20s I was driven to have a net value of at least a million dollars by the age of 30. It didn't happen. I was able to have more net worth than most everyone I knew back then. And few friends.
    I now see money as a necessity of life, not its goal. Once you have enough money to take care of the basics the rest has only one use. To buy stuff. And the more stuff you have the more of a slave you become to it.
    When I see people chasing money over a happy life I know from experience where their life is headed. Money and materalist stuff will not bring you happiness. That is a lie continually sold to the younger generations for decades to sell their movies and TV shows. I grew up. Love the life you have, not the stuff of the world. There is where you will find true happiness.

Wow... $1M in 1985 dollars? sooo... something like $2.5M in today's dollars?

I mean... okay, you said you fell short of that goal, sure.
      But... my question is... how was that goal not completely absurd in the first place?

I ask mostly because most college grads have NEGATIVE net worth for at least a few years after graduation (student loans)... and most people who *don't* have a postsecondary education would have no hope whatsoever of earning so much money so fast.

Were you doing something incredibly high-risk high-return? (like the '70's/'80's equivalent of an angel-backed startup)
      Or... were you already working from some significant foundation of inherited wealth?

Because if you were just a normal dude with a good job -- even if you want to college for free -- I just can't see how you could have set a goal like that with a straight face.

What Girls Said 8

• No, not really. I appreciate good quality stuff, but I'm the type to get it myself if I really want it. Other than that, I use shit till the wheels fall off and I'm not against bargain searching.

• Lol no the opposite actually.

The only materialistic things I do are due my hair and buy nice perfume.

I don't like my nails getting done, I hate shopping, I'll look in the mirror like once a day, I prefer wearing sweats over anything nice, I don't wear a lot of make up/if any

• Nah, not too much.

• I can live without many things. For example, I moved over to another country with about 10kgs of stuff. I haven't bought a lot of new things eversince, only to replace old things. It's nice to have things but I can see that I do not need them.

• Nope.

• a bit yea :/
    I like luxury stuff and I ve been raised this way

• Somewhat. I love to shop but I dont buy expensive every single time.

• unfortunately

What Guys Said 14

• Not very much. There are a few things where I enjoy luxury... such as fancy food and fancy ways of traveling. However, there are also loads of areas where I'm not materialistic at all. For example some of the t-shirts I wear are 10-15 years old. I buy new clothes maybe once a year. The two pairs of shoes I own are both four years old by now. I also take great care of my electronic devices. My smartphone is the Iphone 2 from 2008 or so. My PC computer is almost 13 years old by now. My dad helped me do some major software updates a couples of times and exchange the hard drive but apart from that, it's basically still in its original state. I don't like buying new things when the old thing is still working, whether it be shoes, transportation or electronic devices. It's also against my political belief that we as humans should try to be less wasteful.

That last sentence sounded a little weird. What I mean is that materialism is wasteful and humanity is extremely wasteful and I'm against that.

• Yes, too an extent. I love my cars, bikes, guns, etc., but I don't do it to impress anybody. Its for my own enjoyment.

• No, i would be perfectly happy living in the jungle. My need for certain things is a needs basis only

• no i wouldn't at all

• Yes, I do to a good extent.

• Unfortunately I am but I am content with things I possess. That doesn't mean, that all I think about are materials and money - it just happens to be my primary interest of things.

Or maybe it's because I have so few possessions and want to have more. Can't be sure of it.

• Not really, but I certainly don't buy cheap shit. You get what you pay for and quality over quantity.

• No not at all

• Only in that I hate not being able to afford anything, having no job. I reeeealy want the PS VR, but it's literally taking years just to get the PS4 by itself. I only get money via birthday and Christmas cards.

• Absolutely not.

• eh somewhat, but I can appreciate the non material stuff just as much as material stuff.

• not in the slightest. it does not fit with my ecological ideals.

i do drive a merc but its an old one ;) i still have taste

• yes, i would.

• i used to be the complete opposite of materialistic, but lately i think i have changed