Why are so many people in Southern California unfriendly to strangers compared to many people in other places in the United States?

So Cal is always listed as one of the locations in this country of least friendly people in the country. Don't get me wrong, there are many people that are friendly to strangers here but at the same time, the percentage of people here that aren't friendly to strangers is significantly high. I worked at different grocery stores here, a couple of them were in bad areas and others were in good areas. In all of them so many people did not want to engage back in conversation with the cashier. He or she asked''How was your day?'' or talks about a certain item the customer bought that they think is interesting, many have resting face and respond back in a way like they don't feel like talking. They don't smile at the cashier either, even though he or she is smiling at them. So many people here are like that. Why?

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't notice that when I visited So Cal. Were the "good areas" in high populated areas? Usually high populated areas and cities are far more crowded and fast paced, causing people to rush and be less inclined to make small talk. Maybe a lot of the people have big egos and are more focused on their social media accounts rather than how they come off in real life? That's a total guess. I dunno.

Something tells me you wouldn't like New York, haha :P to be honest though, I currently live in a small town and don't see a lot of people making conversation when checking out items.

Yes high populated areas, both good areas and bad areas I have worked at. I am saying a lot of them suck at their response to the cashier and don't even smile back. Many people here just have resting face despite how friendly the cashier is. There are many people here that are friendly back to cashiers but at the same time a big percent are not so friendly, a much bigger percent than certain other areas in the country.

"There are many people here that are friendly back to cashiers but at the same time a big percent are not so friendly"
      It's like that literally everywhere.

It is known for the percentage to be a lot higher though than other places for people to be like that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Too crowded. People have a hard time finding their own space. And on the highways, they are trapped in their metal coffins, sometimes for hours, fighting the traffic. In general, they have little to be happy about when it comes to other people, who make up the crowd that is driving the person crazy.

What does highways have to do with people being unfriendly to cashiers in grocery stores, etc?

They travel on the highways to get to work, then they come back on the highways. By the time they get to the store, they are tired and cranky.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm unsure how true that is based on observation and experience as a cashier. I think some people don't like to small talk or they like keeping to themselves. I don't think that means that they're unfriendly though.

Have you ever tried to talk to someone outside of the grocery shop? I bet a different setting/environment could have an impact. For an example a bar in South Cali.

I never said unfriendly as a personality, I said unfriendly to strangers, I hear people in many other places in the country are way friendlier. Here many people have resting bitch face, etc. when people are being nice to them.

A lot of people suck at friendliness in So Cal when it comes to strangers compared to other places.

I'm aware. I'm from SoCal and I'm rude also lmfao

• I live in SoCal... Like the ghetto of SoCal and if I'm even remotely nice people think I'm hitting on them so I just don't say shit to anyone unless they talk to me first. I have hella bad resting bitch face so people hardly ever say anything.
    There's rude people everywhere but I do agree that SoCal has shitty people lmfao.

The thing is most places that aren't even ghetto in So Cal suck really bad with the friendliness too. Not to the extent of the ghetto areas but it is still bad regardless what socioeconomic class most people in the area are.

You're in Orange County? I lived there my whole life until I got a job in the city I'm in and I'll tell you know that people are shitty and rude in Oc because they're uptight and rich. I've been there, I was a bitch but you'll find some chill people (:

The thing is regardless if most of the people in any county in so cal are rich, middle class, upper middle class, or poor and regardless in what area they live in, tons of people regardless what race they are suck at friendliness to strangers here. A very very high percentage of people in So Cal are just rude and assholes.

• Areas near major cities will always be fast paced and people will be too preoccupied with other things to sit and talk. I live near New York and Philly and I get the same impressions I do from places like LA

Well here in Orange County there is a lot of people just like LA. The thing is what that does what you said have to with people being unfriendly to a cashier?

Why is it different than in areas where there aren't many people? I am sure people in areas with not that many people are in a rush too.

That I can't explain exactly. I just know cities tend to be more fast paced than other places

• I haven't noticed this in my appx. 10 years living here.

Go work in a grocery store and you will notice

• Dehydration

What makes you say that? Are you trolling?

They don't have water down there, cali is in a drought pal

Yes we are in a drought but most of us still have enough to drink.

What Guys Said 13

• I don't know, i guess a lot of people just wanna mind their own business and quickly be about their way perhaps?

people's IQ significantly drop on the fucking road in SoCal.

• Anytime you clump people on top of each other, things are gonna get testy. lol

Look at New York, for example. Eventually people just start getting on your nerves.

Have you been coastal in SoCal? Beach city people down here are some of the best I've ever encountered, and I've toured my fair share of the country.

Beach city people here are fine, but they are not the majority of residents here in So Cal

• If you think it's bad down here go up to NorCal... Modesto, Stockton, Tracy... you'll come crying back here.

I've found people here are MUCH more friendly than the aforementioned NorCal and New England. Maybe not so much as some places like Texas though.

Alright, but you would have to admit we do have a bad reputation for friendliness though.

Oh sure, the rep. is bad... but I've found the reality to be contradictory. Even when I worked in LA the random people on the streets were nicer.

Go work at grocery stores in So Cal and notice how such a huge percentage of the people are to the cashiers.

• I don't think that's true. I am a very friendly person to strangers. I traveled all over the U. S and to several different countries. There friendly and unfriendly people everywhere.

No duh there are unfriendly and friendly people everywhere but So Cal has a reputation for having SO MANY people that are unfriendly. A significant high percentage compared to other places.

Nope, I hear people in the south are way friendly. Did you even read my details?

To be honest your all over the place. Yes I read your details. You basing you theory on your own experiences. Also you "heard" people in the south are more friendly? I lived in the south. Guess what? I meet many unfriendly and rude people. Lastly, you are complaining about people being unfriendly in SoCal. Where are you from? You being condescending in your answers. I am just giving you a point of view from some one who lives in Los Angeles.

• It's the density that's the problem. Look at Omaha.

What about Omaha?

a lot less people per square foot, it's not the only factor but I think it certainly is one. In Omaha it's normal for a complete stranger to ask you how your day is and a really bad rush hour on I-680 has cars going at around 15-20 mph

• It's like a defensive tactic. This way no one will mess with you. There is a lot of violence there and gangs. So I think it's to avoid trouble.

Even in non ghetto areas many people are like that.

They are stuck up. Mean rich people who look down on the simple man.

• A lot of people are burned out from dealing with the traffic and just don't feel like being around more people. Population growth in California has become a cancer and the brain-dead whore politicians just don't see it.

• It's just a thing out here in California. Its the way people were raised and its usually so busy with work and traffic people are grumpy a lot haha

So it affects their mood with how they are with the cashier, etc?

If they are assholes or having a bad day yes. Most people aren't actually mean just they are usually tired and busy so they don't put effort into conversating with someone they won't be hanging out with. They just get what they have to get and move on.

• Go to the northeast. You might wanna renege that statment

• What are you talking about man? Don't you mean the whole U. S? I think the U. S in general has a lot of rude and not so nice people to meet and try and talk to.

True but So Cal is one of the worst places out of the while country. You are right though, that a lot of the people in the country aren't as friendly as people in other countries. Even many of the people from other countries that were friendly in their countries become like many of them of the people here once they have been here for like a year or more.

• I don't know..
    @DodgersGM & @Máiiréad are quite friendly

• I went to San Diego and pretty much everyone I met was really nice.

Were they sober though or did they know you already? I am talking about to strangers and I am talking about in places like grocery stores, etc. to the cashier.

It's was around the beach. I didn't know them. I don't know if they were sober though.

I know many people can be friendly to people in the beaches, etc. here when sober, but if you go to grocery stores and other places where you are buying stuff, many people suck at being friendly compared to places like the south, etc.

• Lol come to south Florida people are assholes too