What's the worst thing that's happened to you and how did it change your life?

1mo more
1mo Anyone else

Most Helpful Guy

• the way i grew up was hard (mom is mentally ill) but it tought me how to be self reliant and understanding.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a long-term relationship. Both of our savings and wages went into building a home. We totally gutted the house I. e new kitchen, bathroom etc. I'd been with him from school age.

He became controlling and emotionlly abusive. To cut a long story short.. he forged my signature and took our home from me. He left me homeless and penniless. Fortunately I had great friends and close family to be there for me

I had two choices , sink or swim. I struggled and fought for years to get my life back on track.

Eventually I regained my strength and gained back more than I ever lost. I have my own home, and I'm financially stable , so I'm so happy in my life right now

The experience was painful, but I've refused to allow his actions to cause me to become bitter and resentful. It's made me more of an independent and more assertive person.

It hasn't affected how I view other guys or relationships in general. I'd never judge a new guy based of my exes behaviour. It's something I rarely talk about not though, it's the past , but I haven't allowed it to define me in a negative way

What Guys Said 2

• Almost drown at age 10-11 and saw the bottom of the creek.

• Was accused of rape while serving in the Army.. I was later found to be innocent due to someone else confessing however my marriage and my career were already both ruined.. after getting out of the army and taking a contractor job i went over seas just to have my ex wife take me back to court to increase child support which i was unaware she was doing.. and due to not knowing my child support had increased i was hitting the $2,500 back child support owed and had my passport revoked.. So i lost my job and have been stuck in a foreign country ever since unable to work or return home.

What Girls Said 1

• Didn't happen to "me" but it did happen to my dad which affected my life greatly. He had a stroke when I was around 13. It changed him a lot. The father I knew, pretty much died that day. He isn't the same person. He became an angry person who borders on abusive. The stroke affected his brain which affects his behavior. It basically made my life difficult because my dad is not able to work like he used to and therefore, we have had very bad financial problems since then. Some months we can't pay the rent and my parents are ALWAYS fighting about money. There are lots of luxuries we don't have and all the "nice" things I have, I had to buy myself with working during holidays when all my friends were partying and chilling. I'm not complaining though. I know people have it much worse off than me but it hurts that I don't have a father (we have basically no relationship because he mentally cannot function normally in a conversation) and that there's always tension in my house at all times. The financial burden is very strong and has made me a anxious person.