When someone asks for 'advice', do you think it is a call out to be listened to and really heard rather than wanting another's point of view?

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the person who's asking. The majority of the time I'm asked for advice, I listen and then tell them my opinion and what I would do if I were them etc - but then they tend to get annoyed and almost insulted/offended. And some say nothing at all.

I guess it's because I'm 'too' honest.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the nature of the situation but I find that the more internal the problem to their life, I tend to think it is a "Please listen to me".

What Girls Said 3

• Sometimes that's the case. If after offering advice, the lamenting continues,
    I know my opinion doesn't matter and I reposition accordingly lol.

• I think when people ask for advice I think what they really want is to vent and ask for empathy and understanding, and possibly options

• Definitely another's point of view, but maybe a little bit of the both

What Guys Said 6

• If it's a woman asking it's usually the first, with men much less so.

• I don't really think much about it I just listen and give the advice I best think can help them.

Regardless of what two options it ends up being out of the two you gave us makes no difference to me in the long run. Sometimes just listening to someone and letting them be heard for once is just as helpful as giving advice, regardless you most likely end up helping them out one way or another and in the end isn't that what matters?

• If you are male, you want the advice.
    If you are female, you want to be listened to.

This is the First Law of Male/Female communication. Once you understand this, your communication with the opposite sex will be better and less drama will ensue.

• A point of view , remains an experiment rather than seeking advice , which is genrally grounded from wisdom.

• I think it's both. And all good.

• Possibly yeah. But I think if someone asks for help, could be asking and then just discussing. Speaking of which, can u help me out on a question?