Why do many Americans Dress like Kids? Is it really common?

For example backward caps, sagging pants and baggy shirts etc. I have seen 50 year olds dressing like this all the time. There are some like this everywhere but where i'm from, it's perceived as dressing like a child but I suppose in america it is considered normal?

Is it attractive?

Inin the UK for example, we associate particular kinds of dress like this as "chavs"

http://thesavvybackpacker.com/how-to-dress-avoid-looking-like-an-american-tourist-in-europe/

Most Helpful Girl

• Its not really childish at all. I rather wear my outfits from my teens and such than rather outfits that is 'whorish' in my opinion. The outfits they make for women today is too revealing and sexualize. Plus I'm petite and trying to gain weight. They don't have a lot of stores catering to small, slim and petite women. So something my friends and I have to go to the Juniors section at the most because most clothes are too big. I have to at least get 11-12/14-16 size for skirts, shorts and pants alone. XS/S/M at the most in juniors/women. Plus I look about 9 years younger and I'm 24. People think I'm still in school. If I dress for an interview or something important other than my job at the time, they think I'm a kid and too young. Even with makeup! I honestly don't care what other people think. I have to dress accordingly and comfortably.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most Americans care much more about something feeling comfortable than whether it looks decent. During the time I was an exchange student and attended an American high school, all my female friends came to school in hoodies and comfy track pants. In the beginning, that was quite strange for me. In Switzerland, teenage girls like to look very elegant when they attend school. If anyone showed up in track pants in a Swiss high school, both guys and girls would give that person weird stares and think he/she is not taking care of himself.

What Girls Said 2

• No I think it's lame and stupid but for some reason ( and I'm NOT being racist at all) most white people want to, guys for sure, want to dress and act black. Which for the life of me I can't understand. Now I'm not saying all whites should dress white but come on- a young white guy goes around dresses in all red/ blue and tells literally everyone they're in the bloods or crips. Yea no dude no you're not. This happens in my tiny town with 3 red lights! So I'm not saying whites should dress like corny cowboys but if you're not a black guy why dress like you're from the hood? Go figure?

• What is a chav?

What Guys Said 10

• So let's see... you have a young guy who is barely out of high school if even, and what looks like an eccentric mechanic. Then you have advice on what to wear, which is basically saying buy your entire wardrobe from the GAP.

People wear what is comfortable when they don't have to dress up! I have never seen someone in their 50s with sagging pants, but will grant people of all ages will wear caps backwards.

• Most of my fellow Americans are like sheep on the subject of fashion.

• I wear things like this because it's comfortable and I don't have to think too much about it. In general, I see fashion as a waste of time that could be spent doing other things that actually matter in some way.

I also have a professional job and I love being the guy that rolls up into a business meeting in a hoodie and runs shit like a boss.

• I am watching a program, they are talking about the topic.
    I think it is normal view from non-american.
    They say it is comfortable.
    Do you think that because of isolate from UK.

• Hahaha! I love you man! Why can't there be more people like you here? Don't they all look so stupid?

haha thanks. Aren't you american? i take it you don't dress like that haha

Not really, I like to wear a hoodie, especially under a jacket but I can't stand the baggy clothes. And it's all sweatpants and sweatshirts and it's all like stuff associated with sports. I always used the word dumbass but child fits the bill perfectly to.

Yes, I'm American

• We take pop culture too seriously and have a youth oriented culture, since post WWII. Don't trust anyone over 30!

• those look more like British Chavs

• Those are skinny boys.. They look like kids. You can't compare us all to this pic? Wtf?

• They think it's cool.

• Kinda looks like the style from the early 2000s.
    Wouldn't say it's as common now.