Do you think wars are positive?

Think about present and past wars.

Do you think wars are positive?

• Yes, all
  • Yes, most
  • Only a few
  • No, none
  • I'm too ignorant to vote
1mo Explain your answers please.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wars are bad in my opinion. Innocent people die and it destroys everything. People should behave in a mature way and solve problems by talking to each other and make reasonable decisions. This world needs love. People should not be so selfish and materialistic. They should be understanding and care about every single person, think about their feelings... We are all the same people with feelings...

Most Helpful Guy

• Some were, some weren't some were wars were waged for ridiculous reasons and almost retarded reasons, others were waged for just and right reasons.

And sometimes war is necessary and needed and anyone who say's differently has obliviously never read through the vast chapters of history were anything short of would have led to horrible results.

I'm not saying killing great or wonderful because it's not and should never be your first choice unless it's the only choice. But in war the just and right reasons I mentioned above. You have to make peace with the fact that your destroying families, nations, people and cultures to protect your own because if you don't those people will destroy everything you hold dear and that your people have created.

It doesn't make it right but it makes it easier to live with.

What Girls Said 3

• Liberation wars are positive, others are not.

• Some of them are since that's how most of the technology we have today came to be.

• No, none. Cycle of people forgetting how terrible it is and needing a refresher.

What Guys Said 24

• I'm not sure what you are really asking. Is it good to go to war? Of course not. However, war is sometimes the only option. What would have happened if the US, Great Britain, and our allies had not entered WWII? Evil would have flourished and millions more would have died.

Gen. Patton said that war is hell, and he was an authority on that subject. However, as long as evil attempts to triumph over good, war will be necessary to preserve freedom and peace.

I think you mean Eisenhower (God I love him)
      Patton was basically a Viking in that he just loved killing and fightinh
      s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...eaadbd32d1.jpg

@Waffles731 Actually, we are both wrong. And frankly, I am surprised because I have heard that quote attributed to Patton many times.

“It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell.”
      ― William Tecumseh Sherman

• Very deep question - Often wars are started blind because you feel it is right assuming it is a not an aggressive invasion which most of the time are morally wrong. Let's take a look at two examples
    (1) The Iraq war - For the sake of argument look at one reason, Saddam Hussein was going to use WMDs. WMDs never found on this basis, that war was wrong.
    (2) World War 2 - Hitler/Nazism were a dangerous political aggressive force. On discovering/liberating the concentration camps, the war became totally justified.
    Overall I each war should be studied case by case. Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan had a song called "God On Their Side" and the premise of the song is that the victors usually record the history of the war and tend to have "God On Their Side"

All Hitler cared about was reuniting Germany and the German people.
      The whole war could have been avoided if Germany wasn't humiliated in the Versailles treaty.

I guess the firebombings of German civilians was justified because of the holocaust too.

• Deus Vult.

No, wars are stupid and every time the innocent civilians suffer the most while those who started it sit in their offices.

When a country leader declares a war we should make him fight 1 on 1 vs the leader of the other country.

Don't you think wars have helped with the evolution of society?

When wars were a big part of society, you had to have the best weapons and defense to be able to survive, cause if the enemy had better equipment than you, you were going to lose. So countries spent lots of resources in improving their armament, which also lead to the invention of other things that improved society.
      With war you were forced to improve in order to survive. If you didn't evolve, you'd die.

War isn't the thing that pushed progress, it's competition. It's just a coincidence that in the past the main form of competition was having a superior battle technology.

There are other threats such as diseases and I think we would have made progress in that field earlier if we lived in a hypothetical world with no threats from invaders.

• Well, some wars are more necessary than others, but let's assume that we live in a utopia where everyone is good to each. I have right now:
    -Technology booms during conflict. "Necessity is the mother of invention"
    Really only helps us that come after.
    Take flight for instance. There were quite a few that thought the Wright brothers were building a novelty. Some saw the military applications of it and threw money at it.
    The space race was similar. If Russia and the US weren't frightened of the other being able to harm them from space, I don't think they would have hurried it along as quickly as they did. They may not have cared at all.

-Those that enjoy existing probably wouldn't have done so otherwise. If there are more people running about, there are more choices. If your ancient grandparents had those choices, they may have not chosen each other. Somewhere down the line, a split would have happened. You wouldn't exist.

• i think some wars have been waged for positive reasons.

• Not the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and now Syria
    The only wars that are good ones, is when men fight for their people, not when they fight for bankers and for interests that are not their countries.

The first crusade was about sustaining Christendom and stopping the Islamic invasion of Europe. I see that as a positive war.

The

Do you think it's objectively or subjectively positive?
      For example, are the christian wars against the Pagans of Europe in the Early Middle Ages such as the Massacre of Verden against Saxon Pagans by Charlemagne positive or negative? Since it was made to expand and sustain Christianity in Europe?
      I'm pretty sure it was negative for the European Pagans ><
      by the way you know I'm not attacking you I just want to open this debate.

@ElissaDido you know what I change my mind
      Might is right.

If people are strong enough they should conquer whoever they want.

Now we can agree :) . That;s how history works, the concept of positive/negative war is completely , COMPLETELY subjective :p

• War is a continuation of politics by other means.

- carl von clausewitz.

This guy wrote a book on which all modern warfare is based, and war is a continuation of politics by other means, war is fought between governments. War costs life, resources and it puts you in debt, therefore it is always useless and lost by default unless it is a purely defensive one. The only legitimate war on part of finland during the winter war to give a modern example.

• wars are never positive my friend.
    we all should be united and stand together.
    "United we Stand, Divided we fall"

Never?

never. because if your going to kill a human being then you have to realize that he has a family too, he's just like you.

• Not positive, but necessary to protect your own nation's ass.

• If you look through history, wars never really done much, they created more problems than resolved anything.

Are you sure?

Wouldn't you say we have the life we have today in part, thanks to wars, especially when it comes to technology?

Well, for example people say World War 1 made women be able to vote, but historians actually argue now that if ww1 didn't happen, girls would have gotten the right to vote much faster.

So putting that in regards to everything else, I think not. I think most of the stuff we have today would have maybe came a little bit faster or still came. Maybe military technology might be different. But I think all of the old inventors back then who invented the stuff that lead to the advanced technology we had today would have been invented anyways.

• There are things that cannot be solved without war.

în war many people die sacrificing their lives for their families, children and country so that they will live having peace and freedom.

• At least, The picture is cool.

What's your answer to my question?

humm it is post-war view about the picture
      I have no answer now, In my study , We suppose china history is cycle.
      war has the same reason, bassically the system was changed but the changed is in a cycle too.
      humen desire to push it. So maybe they can't find the fate wheel is running.
      My study end up here. So I have no answer but the picture exist for what happened.

• Wars are never positive , but sometimes they are essential doesn't mean they are positive

• Only if God wills it.

• There's nothing like death to get someone to invest in people's ideas/innovations.

• The only positive thing in war is knowing it's over.

• I'm pro war, war is good for business. And some problems can only be solved by a good old fashioned fight.

Its good only until they reach you or your hide out and kill you.

• I think they have positive aspects. Ultimately conflict is bad, but it has its benefits

• Some countries heroes are other countries monsters. Take Winston Churchill for example he's a hero in Britain and perhaps even Europe but a monster for India and others. so no war is negative.

• If u want to solve things.. war is the best way bruh 😎

• Well yes, but they are negative in the meantime.

• some are, most aren't

• Only if your side wins.

• Can you give any reference in which it turns out to be helpful?

Wars tend to be huge in the advancement of technology, since you have to be better than your enemy.

Only in weapons not in other sectors. What good weapons has brought in world?

The Internet is a result of war, and the Internet has completely changed the world.
      One of the main reasons we're now living in the safest era in history, is thanks to WW2.