What's your stance on the prostitution issue?

I refuse to call it "sex work". No one should have to sell their body, this is not a legitimate profession. I support the Nordic model which punishes johns and helps wo/men get out of prostitution.

• I support full criminalization
  • I support full decriminalization
  • I support the Nordic model
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I think prostitution should be legal but heavily regulated. The girls should get health benefits that protect them from STD's and make care for themselves as affordable as it would be for lets say, a government worker (amazing health insurance) They should have the right to a relatively clean working space.

Also each county in a state should get to decide upon a number of "Brothel Licenses" so that you can't have 20 of them in every town. It's something that should be put to vote by the mayors of all towns or whatever democratic process there is that stops one person from making the decision.

Also women caught in the act of prostitution should not have to face criminal charges if they aren't working with a pimp or aid in the arrest of one. Their health should be assessed, weaned off any drugs they are on and given classes of some kind on how to function in the world without having to be a street walker. The money for all this should come straight out of welfare.

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as its free will, people should be able to do what they want for a living. Education and another choice would cwrtanly be a better option but i dont see it as a crime. the legal system is bogged down enough. I seem to recall the Amsterdam model its legal and the women all have heaalthcare insurance and benefits programs.

But it isn't designed to solely punish men... in a feminist society we can't have that...

The Amsterdam model isn't designed that way. The other model is based on the feminist notion all men are evil and victimize all women, so therefore prostitution isn't a matter of right or wrong, it's men force all prostitutes to be that against their will. So therefore it punishes the Jons while lets the women prostitutes off the hook. It's like saying we are going to punish people who buy drugs, but not drug dealers. In fact many of the articles on the subject say it is a "Feminist Victory". Women=always victims of evil men Men=evil and must be punished.

As two other commentators pointed out the "Nordic" model really hasn't even been that effective, just a bunch of propaganda.

@genuinlysensitive "the Amsterdam model isn't designed that way" so how is the Amsterdam model designed?

What Guys Said 8

• I support full legalization like we have it in Switzerland. Having it legal makes it much easier for the government to ensure safety for the prostitutes and their customers. It's also much easier for the government to keep track on foreign prostitutes. If you want to work in the sex industry (this includes strippers) in Switzerland, you need to go to a government office and register yourself. If you don't, you can get severely fined. Prostitutes in Switzerland also have to pay taxes in a normal, regulated way and they have to deduce the obligatory pension costs from their salary. So legally speaking, it is indeed a job just like any other.
    In addition, Swiss prostitutes are offered free courses on topics ranging from sexual health to personal protection.

Whatever your beliefs may be, reality has proven time and again that this model works by far the best. I'm glad and proud that being a prostitute here in Switzerland is in fact quite a decent job. It's not for everyone but contrary to the US, prostitution in Switzerland has nothing to do with poverty or drugs or things like that. You get a good salary, you're legally, socially and physically protected, and many women also sincerely enjoy their work as prostitutes.

Both the American and the Scandinavian models are incredibly naive because they build on the assumption that people will stick to prohibitions. They don't. Instead, Sweden and the US both have a huge, unregulated and - frankly speaking - fucked up black market. Both Scandinavia and the US have been making the same mistake when it comes to drugs for decades and they just don't get it. I don't know what it takes for them to get it.

• the nordic model seems to be working best

i'm not against a person choosing to sell their body or sexual services. but prostitution as it is in most countries is fraught with trafficking. it's a simple and sad fact. even places that have legalized or decriminalized deal with plenty of trafficking issues.

the nordic model where it is legal for women to sell their services but illegal for men to purchase (the intention of eliminating pimps) has been pretty effective at eliminating trafficking and coercion

so if a man pays for sex with a prostitute he can go to jail but not she?

@anonman32 i'd never heard much about it in brussels. it's always silly when you tolerate something but don't just make it legal. legalizing prostitution almost never leads to worse trafficking issues... maybe it's just some lame attempt at keeping a moral high ground. they can say prostitution is illegal (making them look like some principled people) while allowing it to go on

You can see them from the train station in the northern district of brussels. Many girls there who would put hollywood celebs to shame, they are so good looking.

• B. Nordic model is flawed. From Wiki:

In 2011, a research paper on the consequences of the Swedish legislation to sex workers concluded that the realisation of the desired outcomes of the legislation is hard to measure, whereas the law has stigmatised the already vulnerable sex workers.[180][181] In April 2012 the Program on Human Trafficking and Forced Labor issued a report on the effects of the law, concluding that it had failed in its purpose.[182] In July 2012, a report by the UN-backed Global Commission on HIV and the Law recommended all countries to decriminalise private and consensual adult sexual behaviours, including same-sex sexual acts and voluntary sex work. It specifically pointed out that this also applies to the Swedish model, claiming it has actually resulted in consequences for the sex workers even though reported as a success to the public.[183] Further criticism has come from the Network of Sex Work Projects[184]

So, German model is basically the best.

The Scandinavians do a lot of things really well but there are two areas where they're miserably wrong and that's drugs and prostitution.

@madhatters4 Where did you get these numbers?

@BlueCoyote united nations department of drugs and crime

• I don't like prostitution, but I think it should be legal cause it's a "profession" that it's ALWAYS gonna exist, so if we make it legal we can regulate it and avoid the problems it's causing.
    The only issue I have with that is that so many people will think it's ok to work as a prostitute :/

What's wrong about working as a prostitute? I salute these young women. Even in a well-regulated system as we have it here in Switzerland, being a prostitute is a tough job. It's physically exhausting and I'm sure it also takes a lot of emotional maturity. These girls work much harder than the average office john.

• it is the most ancient profession in existence. it should not be illegal it is only a job. when you say that nobody should sell their body then there should be no doctors? they are selling you their knowledge time and experience all if which are in their body and mind. there should be no construction workers? they are using their body for physical labor which is allowing their body to be up for hire. there is nothing wrong with prostitution.

• Yeah punish bad pimps cause they're bad people. Make it a criminal for pimps to be abusive.

Well I mean, if prostitution was legal why would there need to be pimps? Wouldn't there just be whole companies that run a service?

I think it should be completely legal in the U. S.

It is criminal for pimps (or anyone) to be abusive.

@Idonthaveausername yeah, so I don't see an issue with it.

in plenty of places with legalized prostitution there is still a huge amount of sex trafficking of minors and/or women forced into legal prostitution by pimps. essentially the pimps are the ones who proliferate the trafficking of women

• i think the government should let people fuck and stay out of it. No man has ever had sex for free. That is the way of the world. Everytime I fuck my wife it costs a fortune.

Prostitution works pretty good in the USA right now. It is easy and low risk to get a prostitute and it is safe for the girls almost all of the time.

Obamacare is all the government help we deserve in this lifetime. Please no more!

• I support full criminalization of the pimps and customers. The women need help.

What Girls Said 1

• regulate it and make it safe.

ie, keep it to a specific end of town. lots of cops (in case of violence), as well as medical checks to make sure the prostitutes don't have stds.