Have you ever said a racist slur out of pure anger? Also, if you have , do you think you only said it from anger or was it your true feelings?

Today a woman called me the N-WORD simply bc i had to put my car in the bike lane in order to reverse into the parking space. She said i wasn't respecting bicyclists bc I'm a "Nigger"...
If any of you live in Chicago or have visited here, you know that the lanes for bikers to ride is directly next to the parking lane. Im so hurt and disappointed in the world. She saw that I had my daughter who is 7 years old with me, and yet she still chose to use those words. It made me so upset. It's been 5 hours n I'm still annoyed... ugh... just had to get it off my chest.

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't say it out of anger but out of curiosity. I was in 5th grade (it was the late 70s) and I grew up in Chicagoland, too, in the north shore suburbs. As I'm sure you know, it was and still is very affluent and very white. A black family moved in a few blocks from where I lived, which was unusual. Their daughter was a couple years younger than me. I called her that name simply to see what would happen; I had heard it was a bad thing to say. (I had no previous experience with black people and my parents didn't use language like that.) She cried bitterly and I've deeply regretted it ever since. If I could apologize to her, I would. I'm sorry you're still running into that today.

You were young , and unaware of how hurtful your words can be. I wish you could tell her sorry too, bc that's something she probably still resents you for.. or maybe she's like me, and wants to hug the woman who said those words to me. unlike you, she is an adult and aware of the effects of her hurtful words... which makes me feel bad for her-she's openly hateful... sucks to be her.

• 25d

This opinion was the toughest thing I ever wrote on gag. I expected a backlash and tons of thumbs down. Rereading your experience now was just as hard as the first time. It often seems like we are headed in the wrong direction with race relations. I wish it mattered to more people. For what it's worth, thank you for MHO.

• 25d

You're very welcome... I am grateful for your honesty... most wouldn't admit to saying something like that. Racism does seem to be on a rise-AGAIN... and it is scary. ): anyways, thanks for chiming in...
      Blessings

What Guys Said 3

• I admit I have. It wasn't because the person was a specific ethnicity though, it's because they were being a fuck and I wanted to say something hurtful. She should be careful saying those things in Chi-town though.

Lol n i couldn't even react bc i was angry then hurt... n i live in a white neighborhood so if I did react (and I'd never stoop so low) I know I'd look like what she called me..

That's a very valid point. And if there were any passers by I'm sure they thought the worst of you and not her. Still sucks that you had to go through it. Big tough white bitch. I'd have put her in her place had I witnessed it.

• I had a black friend im school and we said all sorts of fucked up racist shit to one another for fun.

• Nope. I also would've probably punched her in the face if I were you

I wanted to, but when my daughter asked me what's a "nigger" , I wanted to cry instead lol

What Girls Said 1

• Hmm never a racist slur because I'm mixed and I do respect all races and cultures. I think some people think so high of themselves or think racist slurs don't mean a thing, but they do. Honestly, anyone else in your place would've tried to reply back with something worse but you did the right thing and I believe that your actions matter more to your daughters than anyone else's. You are a beautiful woman, try not to take other people's words to your head cause your better than that! Forget what she said, that lady was clearly filthy. Hope you feel better :)