Do you think all straight A students go on to become really successful?

so it's following the structure of normality. do you feel this generally equals success?

i personally was average. didn't do very well. i was also quite honest and overly self critical and poor at interviews to demonstrate my thoughts.. but the interview process and how you sell yourself (you can't b very honest, you have to sell yourself beyond) i didn't manage to find or get offered many jobs. but instead i own my own rapidly expanding business now with huge growth prospects

Most Helpful Girl

• I think many things determine success - grades don't guarantee anything. I know I was pretty average at school, I didn't put in much effort and it showed. I got the first entry level position I applied for and networked over to another company in a higher role, then applied for various internal contracts to gain the experience needed for a higher paid role.
    Being an employee means selling yourself, being an employer means buying smart

Most Helpful Guy

• ALL straight A students go on to become really successful? Of course not.

There are a lot of aspects to this. First intelligence. There is a many kinds of intelligence and they don't all come from a book. Some people have talents for some things and others for others. Each of them is a kind of intelligence.

Also, school grades are only one measure of intelligence. Some people are brilliant, but don't necessarily do well on tests, or in an academic environment. Maybe they are bored, maybe they just don't perform well under pressure, maybe the "overthink" things, etc. One of the smartest people I knew did poorly on tests because there was a time limit. He used to think very slowly and methodically. Eventually he almost always got things right. But not in time to finish the exams. So his grades weren't so good.

But maybe most importantly, career success -- which is I think the kind of success you are talking about -- is about much more than just academic skills. It's about initiative, drive, talent, social skills, salesmanship, smart choices, creativity, hard work and an element of luck. The world is filled with financially successful people whose school records were average or worse.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 18

• No more often times than not straight over achieving students fail in life after college because they can only use the skills they learned in school which was to learn what they needed to learn and then to recite that information on tests. They don't learn to adapt if they don't get high paying jobs right out of college.

• It depends.

If someone is a straight-A student only because they are a hard worker and follow the rules, they are likely to be more successful than average, but less likely to be highly successful. Great success often requires challenging rules and assumptions, taking the path less travelled. If all someone ever does is what is expected of them, they will never rise above mediocrity.

• Grades mean less than nothing. Luck has more to do with it than anything else, sociability and popularity also play in greatly. But I know several guys with extremely high IQs as well has having one myself even with degrees we're not able to find jobs where our experience, education, or intellect is respected. The smarter you are the more shit you take, the dumber you are they less they expect and the easier it is for you to exceed low expectations to move up. But when you're at a 130+ IQ, the world is expected of you and when you try to reasonably explain why the world isn't yours to give you get fired, written up, or just generally disliked by your leadership. The only thing that grades show is an aptitude for short term success.

• They're probably much more likely to. However, life has its effects, if you know what I mean. For the same reason, lower grade students can "catch up" after graduating.

Also, now that I think of it, it greatly depends on what they try to be successful in. People with jobs in things like science and medicine will get better paid, but that doesn't make them the only successful people.

• More successful than the average, yes. But usually they do not reach the absolute top, the absolute top is taken by people with connections or who are smart but know how to prioritize/not take everything seriously.

• Not really. It all comes down to how you play your cards right before, during, and right after college

• Absolutely not!

I know guys who are PhD's who are flipping burgers. And I know guys who flunked out of high school, but made it big as self-made computer programmers.

It really depends on what you do in life.

• As one, no.
    Congratulations.

what do you think were the issues that prevented you?

• Some do while others will fail. I'm an A and B student that wants to form a business. Most nerds out there lack any social skills.

• I know a straight A student that bankruptcy and end up in a mental hospital for a bit...

• No more success than average students.

• No but straight A students work for me.

• IQ is the best predictor of income. when IQ is factored in there is no black/white/asian earning gap

IQ tests are used to predict how well a person will do in school. it doesn't predict income

yeah, its a BS claim that @yourname123 made.. i just dont feel like debating right now.. i mean i had a psychologist who has a PhD tell me that IQ tests determine how successful one may be in school.

@Table20 good in school usually equals good job usually equals higher pay.

Of course, if you are the toughest Mofo on the planet you are a special situation, or the best golfer, etc. Are you that? Or do you need to make it based on what you know?

• Yes.

• Not all, but most do.

• I hope not

• Pawns of society, we call them.

• Nope. Getting A's just shows your good at following orders and essentially school trains you to be a slave (worker bee) not to be someone successful.