How long after the loss of a pet would you get a new one?

Wednesday night my bearded dragon passed away and I am devastated. He was a fantastic pet though and I know I will get another and I am excited to get another but it seems too soon. I feel conflicted... How long would you wait?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• We got a new hamster the same day my old hamster died. I thought it was way too soon and may be part of the reason I don't feel that close to this hamster, or at least not as close as I did to my old one. I would have preferred to wait at least a couple of weeks.

What Guys Said 12

• First of all I'm sorry for your loss, second of all, it depends, people process the loss of a pet very differently I have found, I have had only one pet in my entire life, a black cat named gatitov, and I've never been able to have a pet after that cat, so I believe it depends on how fast you process all of it

• That's a cool pet, I am sorry for your loss.

You should get a new one whenever you feel ready, there's no defined time limit. If you feel excited about getting a new one then go for it and give it a loving home.

• my cat died when i was a kid, after that i never thought of getting a new one, because i was very devastated.

• I don't know but it would take a bit.

when I was younger one of our cats died and my mom got a new one the same week... I was so pissed. it felt like she replaced a broken toy

• I don't know. I already had a pet extra when the other passed away

I might get myself a cat when I live on my own. And I'll raise it so it will not become a begger fatty like this current one, even though he's awesome xD

Haha sounds good. :)

• About a month or two

• Pretty much right away, so long as you know you can care for them.

• I never have got a new one it just too upsetting

• My cat jumped down from my room and die, he was scared by thunder.
    I want now but I think it is not suitable anymore.

why not?

Because I dont like my heart jump up jump down.
      They like to see something from windows.
      Although I saw wild cats climb around building.
      But I know now they are not like lenged saying

• I actually recently lost a bird and was surprised how undazed I was. We needed to be somewhere and I was ready to get down to business.

• You had an actual dragon? How big was it? Did you fly with it? Where did you get it?

A bearded dragon is a type of reptile..

@lawstudent931 WTF. I never heard of that.

Damn really thought it was a dragon. :(

@Z sorry for your loss. I would wait about a month.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 3

• whenever you feel like you're ready. there's really no set time to replace a lost pet, some people get new pets right away, others wait years. I didn't get another cat for 4 years after my furbaby passed away, but maybe you wouldn't want to wait so long. all up to you.

• Whenever you are ready darling. There is no right or wrong time for a new pet.

• Never