Healing a tattoo properly?

The 19th of this month was my birthday and I decided to treat myself to my first tattoo. Awesome experience. I had a fairly small one done on my inner wrist and it did not hurt nearly as much as I was afraid it would.

My tattoo artist wrapped it and told me to take the bandage off after two hours... which I did. He also told me to just wash it the way I would normally wash in the shower, and to not give it any extra special treatment. But now I'm seeing what other people have written about the healing process and I'm worried that I am doing something wrong. I haven't had it wrapped since the day I had it done. Oh, and I have been applying Aquaphor healing ointment (which he recommended) a couple times per day. Is there anything else I should be doing? Could a poorly healed tattoo actually ruin the way it looks?

Thanks for reading! I'm really new to this and could definitely use some advice lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Keep applying a thin layer of the ointment on your tattoo and don't touch it but use an anti-bacterial soap to clean it every now and then. Keep it moist then use a non scented lotion when your tattoo is finally healed to prevent scabbing.

What Guys Said 2

• Wow, you went a little extreme for first tattoo! Aquaphor works just fine, my last girlfriend had 17 tattoos..

• Nah, you'll be fine. Tattoos were invented by pirates, and they were out in the ocean with salt everywhere. They didn't ever use any fancy ointments.

What Girls Said 1

• I'd follow the advice of your professional tattooist over online experiences any day :)